law on 3rd brake light in utah? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > law on 3rd brake light in utah?

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

law on 3rd brake light in utah?

i recently removed my spare tire and carrier since i dont have the correct size anyway. i havent had a 3rd brake light for a month now since the last one shorted out all my fuses. im wondering if i can get a ticket for not having a 3rd brake light before i go buy the stuff to fab up a temp on? i live in slc and drive to pc about 3-6 times a week and the cops in pc are always looking for the smallest reason to pull people over.

PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ya 3rd brake light is required on jeeps after 92/93. Only reason I know is my 94 had one and wouldn't pass safety while my 92 didn't get one at the factory and doesn't need it for safety. It's stupid since the jeeps were identical in every other way
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
Ya 3rd brake light is required on jeeps after 92/93. Only reason I know is my 94 had one and wouldn't pass safety while my 92 didn't get one at the factory and doesn't need it for safety. It's stupid since the jeeps were identical in every other way
ok looks like i have to find some stuff to fab this up. i really didnt want to pull out the soldering iron but i guess i have to. i just had it inspected so im not worried about that. more about the popo pulling me over for it.
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
j33p4life
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ya illegal, but I haven't been harassed about it. I passed safety with it, and got pulled over and the cop did not say anything, he web was looking over the jeep because of no mud flaps, tires past fenders, and no mirror at the time... But didn't say a word about the 3rd brake light!
XRC Front bumper, XRC-8 Winch SRC rock rails
j33p4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33p4life View Post
Ya illegal, but I haven't been harassed about it. I passed safety with it, and got pulled over and the cop did not say anything, he web was looking over the jeep because of no mud flaps, tires past fenders, and no mirror at the time... But didn't say a word about the 3rd brake light!
what can you do about no mirrors when you have the doors off? i would like a bracket to move the stock mirrors to the a pillars. ive always wondered about that. im a stickler for breaking my neck just to look to make sure im clear. i noticed a lot of utah drivers fail to do that.
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

never mind i just found some. gonna wait till spring to get a set since my doors are going to stay on for the time being.

ive figured out a way to re-locate the 3rd light without buying any parts by cutting up the original bracket i have. i will post pics when i am finished. just gotta find a wiring diagram since its been a while from when i removed it.
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The law is that if your vehicle came with one from the factory, It has to continue to have one.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311LJ View Post
The law is that if your vehicle came with one from the factory, It has to continue to have one.
ok sorry for the stupid questions. im good with everything else but wiring! i HATE WIRES!!! this brake light just has a red and black. i know the black goes to ground but what should i connect to with the red. i thought i saw on a diagram dg/wt. im seeing that i am missing the entire 3rd light bracket that supposed to be on the tailgate. i ran the wires through those grommets that supposed to have the contact points but the wires are gone from the other side. just need to know the wire color for the red wire to connect to. these tail lights were all sorts of hacked up when i got it.
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I "might" have the stock connectors/bracket for the rear tail gate.. I'll have to look if I trashed them.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311LJ View Post
I "might" have the stock connectors/bracket for the rear tail gate.. I'll have to look if I trashed them.
ok so i finally found the wires. on was wt/tan and the other was black. i have it all wired up and works good. just a little worried about the wire getting pinched in the tailgate eventually when the housing loosens up and it sags. i kept the stock connectors just so if i get that bracket i can re-use them. looks like the police wont have any reason to pull me over now. ill post pics when i get them loaded up. i like the way it looks
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
TJeeper

Here is the state inspection manual. If your LEDs aren't reflective you need to add reflective tape to the back of your Jeep to be in compliance. It also states you need to add a side marker lamp and reflector to the rear of your Jeep. I'm new to Utah and I didn't add those to my Jeep and managed to pass my inspection, so YMMV.
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper View Post
Here is the state inspection manual. If your LEDs aren't reflective you need to add reflective tape to the back of your Jeep to be in compliance. It also states you need to add a side marker lamp and reflector to the rear of your Jeep. I'm new to Utah and I didn't add those to my Jeep and managed to pass my inspection, so YMMV.
these tails are bright as all hell! when im on the higway at night and hit the brake, it lights up the entire road! all 3 lanes. almost too bright. im def not adding side markers back there. it didnt come with them so i dont see how they can make you pay someone to do it for you. the tails blink for turns.
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow! learned a lot just skimming through that. def not going to add them. im not drilling holes into my tub for them. if you cant see my rear turns, you deserve to get your car run over.
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderPusher View Post
these tails are bright as all hell! when im on the higway at night and hit the brake, it lights up the entire road! all 3 lanes. almost too bright. im def not adding side markers back there. it didnt come with them so i dont see how they can make you pay someone to do it for you. the tails blink for turns.
Side markers have nothing to do with brake lights. They come on when you turn on the headlights. And yes, all vehicles manufactured today have side markers, they are usually built into the tail light. Take a look at the OEM tail light. It is built into the side along with the side reflector.

Whether you add them or not is up to you (I didn't). I'm just letting you know if you get pulled over (again probably unlikely) and get a ticket you will know why.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.