Just a little suggestion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Just a little suggestion

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yesterday myself and moparich were at little Moab to run our rc crawlers. We saw a group of guys from here up there also. I noticed at one point a ZJ with open diffs got himself into a position where he couldn't go forward or backwards. ( which I have no clue how he managed to do that on the obstacle he was on ) It took him about 30 minutes to get free But as a friendly reminder if your going to go offroad please have proper equipment (ie. Recovery points ) if he had front tow hooks a strap and simple little tug would have got him out in seconds. And in places like little Moab you really want recovery points I've seen way too many rigs roll / flop and get into plenty of sketchy situations. Where a simple strap could have help them avoid their situation

Unread 12-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen that happen out there as well. The ones I saw were on steep climbs that they drag bumper on to begin the climb, couldn't make it, and slide back down onto their rear bumper so they can't go forward or back.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
I've seen that happen out there as well. The ones I saw were on steep climbs that they drag bumper on to begin the climb, couldn't make it, and slide back down onto their rear bumper so they can't go forward or back.
And end up curling their exhaust under.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

^^ x2

Winch?
Unread 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHound View Post
^^ x2

Winch?
Even with a winch there was nowhere to attach it to out where I was at. We were on the south side of the large rock outcropping at the north end of Little Moab. The only thing I could have winched on was the other Jeep I was out there with. But seeing how easy they went up this little hill, I just followed them.

But open diffs on a long wheelbase vehicle = different climb from a lock short wheelbase vehicle. So I got the fronts up no problem, but the trailer hitch and the long wheelbase left me with my rear tires almost completely off the ground. And the exhaust on a ZJ hangs down pretty low (not anymore, though).

So when I lost traction and slid back, I dug the tip into the sand and bent it under, creasing the pipe right behind the cat as well. But $160 later I now have a tucked up exhaust and a really nice sounding Borla muffler off a Corvette on there...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
SLEVEN
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Even with a winch there was nowhere to attach it to out where I was at. We were on the south side of the large rock outcropping at the north end of Little Moab. The only thing I could have winched on was the other Jeep I was out there with. But seeing how easy they went up this little hill, I just followed them.

But open diffs on a long wheelbase vehicle = different climb from a lock short wheelbase vehicle. So I got the fronts up no problem, but the trailer hitch and the long wheelbase left me with my rear tires almost completely off the ground. And the exhaust on a ZJ hangs down pretty low (not anymore, though).

So when I lost traction and slid back, I dug the tip into the sand and bent it under, creasing the pipe right behind the cat as well. But $160 later I now have a tucked up exhaust and a really nice sounding Borla muffler off a Corvette on there...
No reason to justify what you did, go out, have fun, learn while your at it, and be safe ( this is what I strive to acheive ). At the end of the day if nobody was hurt thats a success, we all know vehicle damage is part of the game.
SLEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post

Gotcha. Every time i wheel I learn something new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.