JK CB MOUNT questions and antenna - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > JK CB MOUNT questions and antenna

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #31
ralph_801
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
This is true.

I know someone on here has an SWR meter for tuning the antenna. That is the biggest thing you can do to get the most out of the antenna. Trying to get as close to a 1:1 SWR as possible is the aim. Most people are quite happy with anything below 2:1 but I am a perfectionist. I managed to get the one on my Willys down to 1.15:1.
who has the tuner? I will have my final install done by this weekend and I am looking to have it tuned correctly

ralph_801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have one but I think he means someone else. Im in lehi.

Just my 2 cents: Tuning is one of the most important things you can do with any new cb. Although a cb can work without doing it, it is probably being damaged. Before I knew about tuning I fried a few CBs and didn't know why.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
ralph_801
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
I have one but I think he means someone else. Im in lehi.

Just my 2 cents: Tuning is one of the most important things you can do with any new cb. Although a cb can work without doing it, it is probably being damaged. Before I knew about tuning I fried a few CBs and didn't know why.
what would you charge to tune mine? I would be fine driving to Lehi... yeah that's what I have been hearing everywhere that's why I wanna' make sure I get done right after getting the final install in which should be by Saturday I am just waiting for 2 things in the mail.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Free 99. Honestly tuning is pretty easy. It's fixing the problems you discover that gets expensive.

Tuning is how I discovered my new coax line was faulty.

Whenever you want it done let me know.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
ralph_801
2007 JK Wrangler 

awesome, thanks!!! Saturday night or Sunday afternoon I would be able to cruise to Lehi.. PM me and let me know what works best for you. thanks!
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
Marhey
2011 JK Wrangler 

If I were to go ahead and get an antenna and run it in the designated spot on the tire carrier (parallel to the hi-lift jack). Will attempting to tune it with the SWR show whether it is getting good reception or not? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this stuff at all.
Marcus | UJC #158 | 2011 JKU Sport
Build Thread: http://goo.gl/ssaiHN
Marhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

No. Only how well it is transmitting.

Wait, are you saying your jack stands vertically? If so, then I would seriously consider mounting your antenna either on the front fender with the mounting bracket going under the hood, or get a center loaded 12"-14" that you can mount on the top of your windshield frame.

A - H
N - I
T - L
E - I
N - F
N - T
A

If it looks like that, there's no way you're going to get any transmitting power out of it, and possibly even damage the transmitter with reflected energy.

A
N
T
E
N
N
A - HILIFT

If it looks like that, you're golden.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Marhey
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yup, it looks like the first "diagram" you made. Why did Teraflex fail on this? Man, that is frustrating.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
Marhey
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here are some images of my setup. You see the antenna bracket like an inch from my Hi-lift. They would almost touch. I wonder if I can get a non-metal hi-lift... (half-kidding) I emailed TF a few days ago and got a response today in which the person says he uses a Firestik on his carrier it works fine so far but he knows it would work better if it was taller than his JK. Seems like the same situation I'm dealing with. What if I was able to run an antenna inside my JK horizontally? Like strapped to my roll cage? There wouldn't be any metal above it, but then again, the roll bar is metal itself so I assume it would have the same effect as being next to the Hi-lift...
imag0141_1.jpg

imag0143_1.jpg

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #40
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

In your situation I would recommend one of these.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
Marhey
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
In your situation I would recommend one of these.
I'm bugged about this. I'm not a fan of front mounted cb antennas. I am going to look around for a bracket, or make something, to mount it on one of my rear taillights. I usually run my Trektop (with the"fast back" look) so I think if I can mount it far enough to the side, I could get one of those flexible ones and bend it parallel to the roof for daily driving.

The other option would be to find a way to mount my hi-lift horizontal...

/brainstorm...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.