JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Utah Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/)
-   -   JK CB MOUNT questions and antenna (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/jk-cb-mount-questions-antenna-1537702/)

ralph_801 06-17-2013 02:50 PM

JK CB MOUNT questions and antenna

I recently got a CB radio, now i need to buy an antenna for it and figure out how to mount the CB and the antenna. I am not looking to drill any holes in the body to mount the antenna. wondering if anyone has good ideas or experience with doing an antenna mount? also for Jk i don't have any idea where a good place is to mount the CB part on the inside. Also if anyone has advice on where to get an antenna that would be great! thanks guys!! :highfive:

j33p4life 06-17-2013 03:17 PM

I mounted my antenna in the license plate holder, and it sticks up from there, if that makes sense. There is a mount you can buy online. I am not 100% satisfied, but it gets the job done. Kind of a weird place to mount, gets caught on trees and stuff. My CB is above my dash, velcroed down. Let me know if you want some pictures. On my phone now and can't upload

ralph_801 06-17-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j33p4life (Post 15572939)
I mounted my antenna in the license plate holder, and it sticks up from there, if that makes sense. There is a mount you can buy online. I am not 100% satisfied, but it gets the job done. Kind of a weird place to mount, gets caught on trees and stuff. My CB is above my dash, velcroed down. Let me know if you want some pictures. On my phone now and can't upload

I saw a guy the other day with the same thing i actually ended up stopping him and talking to him, he just had a hole drilled in his license plate holder, he said he wasn't very happy either but just cause he drilled the hole to big. that's a pretty good idea, yeah if you could send me some pictures that would be awesome! i appreciate it!

team1k 06-17-2013 05:06 PM

CB world is where i bought all my CB stuff. As for the mount are you looking for one to buy or one to make? If your looking to buy one there are alot of them out there that mount at the license plate, tailight, tire carrier, and other places.

ralph_801 06-17-2013 05:46 PM

ok cool i'll look them up and head over there tomorrow. i'm looking to buy one i just don't want to have to screw into the actual body. i like the sounds of the tire carrier! when i get off work i'll have to do some more research into it and i'll go to that store tomorrow. looks like my day off is booked with a CB install. Thank you!

Mickey_D 06-17-2013 07:57 PM

What are you looking to get out of the CB? Is it just for trail use (up to 100')? Or are you looking to stomp on truckers from 5 miles away?

If it's the first, did you get your radio new? If so, can you return it? If so I recommend doing so and picking up a Cobra 75WXST radio. All the controls are in the microphone and the rest of the radio can be hidden somewhere (I mount mine under the center console, you could put yours up inside the dash). Then when you're not using the radio you unplug the microphone and lock it in the glovebox and the only indication anyone will ever have that you have a CB is the antenna. The microphone socket can be mounted wherever is convenient and hidden.

I love mine. Works great. The only problem I had with mine was in the Willys and that had nothing to do with the radio. My Willys only put 11.7VDC out of the generator (which made a whining noise through the transmitter) and my plug wires HAD to be non-resistor (which screwed with anything electronic within 50' of the Jeep). So I had to shut my engine off to use the CB. Which was fine since I couldn't hear myself think while driving.

ralph_801 06-17-2013 10:30 PM

I got it from Moab_cj5 so a return isn't an option, i'm simply looking to use it for trail use! haha yeah everyone that I have talked to and everything that I have read has lead to that Cobra model. Eventually I would like to go to that but for now I would just like to get this one up and running for some trail use!

Mickey_D 06-17-2013 11:39 PM

Gotcha. Makes my advice kinda pointless then.

My personal opinion then? Strap the radio under your driver's seat. Get a mic cord extender and an external speaker from Radio Shack. Mount the antenna to the driver's brake light. I can make you a tab to go under one of the brake light mounting bolts like I had on my white ZJ.

ralph_801 06-18-2013 04:41 PM

I like the sounds of it under the seat, I found a mounting bracket from rugged ridge that connects to bolt already in place with my tire carrier on the back, although I like the sounds of what you are talking about.

skullysXJ 06-23-2013 03:38 PM

I've got mine mounted on the back with a tereflex one. uses the same bolts as the tire carrier

ralph_801 06-23-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullysXJ (Post 15597726)
I've got mine mounted on the back with a tereflex one. uses the same bolts as the tire carrier

that's the one I bought too :highfive: expecting it in the mail tomorrow

ralph_801 06-23-2013 10:53 PM

... not teraflex but it bolts to the tire carrier as well

Moab_cj5 06-24-2013 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My bumper had an antenna mount on it, then I ran the coax under the tub along the frame and into the cab trough a drain plug on the pass side. I then mounted my CB using one hole for the trim on the side of the tunnel. It is visible for anyone to steal if they feel they need it more than me, but once they look at it, they will likely leave it alone.

I got my antenna from 4wheel Parts on Redwood Road. It is the firestick II with a tunable tip. It was super easy to tune once I located an SWR meter. I haven't used it much, but it is just for trail rides.

The only problem I found with mounting the CB under the seat was the PITA it would be to change the channel if you needed to.

ralph_801 06-24-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moab_cj5 (Post 15601161)
My bumper had an antenna mount on it, then I ran the coax under the tub along the frame and into the cab trough a drain plug on the pass side. I then mounted my CB using one hole for the trim on the side of the tunnel. It is visible for anyone to steal if they feel they need it more than me, but once they look at it, they will likely leave it alone.

I got my antenna from 4wheel Parts on Redwood Road. It is the firestick II with a tunable tip. It was super easy to tune once I located an SWR meter. I haven't used it much, but it is just for trail rides.

The only problem I found with mounting the CB under the seat was the PITA it would be to change the channel if you needed to.

my tire carrier mount should be in the mail today, i also got the firestick antenna. my plan is to run the coax through the rear gate similar to the existing cords that are factory ran. then run it under the roll bar pads to the front, the actual mount that i am gonna do bolts to the front right above the rear view mirror, so I will run the cord behind the plastic in the front overhead and have them exit from the hole right above where i will mount the radio above the mirror. Hopefully i'll be able to get it installed tonight after work so that i can use it on tomorrow's meet n greet!

Moab_cj5 06-24-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralph_801 (Post 15601811)
my tire carrier mount should be in the mail today, i also got the firestick antenna. my plan is to run the coax through the rear gate similar to the existing cords that are factory ran. then run it under the roll bar pads to the front, the actual mount that i am gonna do bolts to the front right above the rear view mirror, so I will run the cord behind the plastic in the front overhead and have them exit from the hole right above where i will mount the radio above the mirror. Hopefully i'll be able to get it installed tonight after work so that i can use it on tomorrow's meet n greet!

That would be sweet if you get it installed. I would love to see that setup.

The time now is 02:44 AM.