Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jax to Moab

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeffro06 
#1 ·
This summer me and my Father are taking a trip from Jacksonville, FL to Moab, UT. We our going to tow my Jeep using the Grand Cherokee so that will be nice! My Father is meeting me in Jacksonville and we will leave when I get out of work on August 1st.

The Plan:
August 1: Jax to Atlanta
August 2: Atlanta to Kansas City
August 3: Kansas City to Denver
August 4: Denver to Moab / Maybe do some offroading (depends on time of arrival)
August 5-7: Offroading
August 7 (Evening): Head back home? May change with work schedule.

If anyone else is interested with meeting up please let me know! I've been doing my research for a while so I'm pretty excited to get out of Florida and go to the Midwest!! :2thumbsup:

#2 ·
Drove that route 4 times back and forth from Daytona to Salt Lake City, but would head north in Lincoln Nebraska to I-80 instead of staying on 70 before I moved out here permanent last year
That's the best and fastest way to go. The southern route sucks I-20 to I-40 and come up from the south on 191 through Moab.
Moab's fun. Be sure to choose the proper trails for your skill level and Jeep. It's a different kind of wheeling from the mud and sand of Florida. The rocks out here are pretty unforgiving on the sheet metal and undercarriage. Also August is still going to be pretty hot during the day.
Be careful and ya'll have a good time!
I've only been wheeling down there once, but PM me a few weeks before you head out. I could be interested in meeting up, it's about 4 1/2 hour drive for me.

#4 ·
#5 ·
#7 ·
I should also mention...because of the name of this thread...there is a pizza place in Moab called Jax. After a long day on the trail, I like to hit up an all you can eat pizza place, good quality stuff too with great variety.

#11 ·
:doh:

haha, I just looked it up. It is Zax...

#12 ·
Mmmm love me some zax beer cheese soup..

I lived in Florida for 2 years. Loved it. I've also driven a WJ across the country twice (Washington DC). I also flat tow my LJ with a WK. Lol anyway I will try and make it down there then and we can meet up for a day or two of wheeling if you want a moab semi regular rolling with ya.

#17 ·
rwjones4 said:
I will actually drive out there from NC this summer and Ill be in western Colorado in early August. I will definitely make a trip or two out to Moab and I've been looking for people to wheel with.
Sweet!! I should be in Denver for a day on Sunday. Then the next day make the final trek to Moab.

#20 ·
You think the GC is up for that tow? You guys may be driving both Jeeps through the Rockies....those inclines are a *****. LOL.

#21 ·
Jeffro06 said:
You think the GC is up for that tow? You guys may be driving both Jeeps through the Rockies....those inclines are a *****. LOL.
We'll find out!! The big kicker is that the Grand Cherokee has the V6 with the 8 speed. It's rated to tow 6,200lbs, I know my jeep plus trailer will around 5500-5800lbs. I have all the time in the world to drive from Florida to Moab, so I'll be cruising 60 mph the whole way. My eyes will be on the trans temp too. It should be fine on flat ground but when it gets hilly I'll take the my Jeep off the trailer and drive it. It's seems better than driving a four cylinder TJ all the way there lol!

#22 ·
The way back is steeper than the way there. I watched a Chevy truck struggle last year.

Not being in a hurry helps.

#25 ·
On the road!!

We made our first gas station stop in Macon, Georgia. The WK2 actually isn't that bad towing the Jeep on the trailer. I've been averaging 15 mpg while cursing at 63-65 mph.
Report back as you head up and into Colorado. I hope you don't get any of those strong head winds going across Nebraska...they're a gas mileage killer. :laugh:

#28 ·
Today begins the first day of offroading in Moab!

Decided to drive through the mountains between Colorado and Utah. It was a blast to say the least! It would of made the WK2 a dog if I had it on the trailer.
Have fun! Smart move driving instead of towing.

#30 ·
We'll all I can say is that I can't wait to come back to Moab! On Wednesday I met up with a few people I met on Fins & Things and rwjones4. We decided that we would do Poison Spider Mesa. We started around 10:30 in the morning and we got off the trail around 10:00 at night!! About half way through the day we decided to finish the trail by taking Golden Spike because it connected to Poison Spider. No one had any issues or anything it was just a long day on the trail.

Pictures and videos soon to follow. Making my way over to Windrock in Tennessee for day to offroad with the co-workers!!

Here's a teaser pic

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

#31 ·
We'll all I can say is that I can't wait to come back to Moab! On Wednesday I met up with a few people I met on Fins & Things and rwjones4. We decided that we would do Poison Spider Mesa. We started around 10:30 in the morning and we got off the trail around 10:00 at night!! About half way through the day we decided to finish the trail by taking Golden Spike because it connected to Poison Spider. No one had any issues or anything it was just a long day on the trail.

Pictures and videos soon to follow. Making my way over to Windrock in Tennessee for day to offroad with the co-workers!!

Here's a teaser pic

View attachment 1531130
What's up Ryan? Just checking in. Ive got a few videos I can try to send to you if you shoot me your email. Hope windrock was fun. I actually stayed near knoxville saturday night

#32 ·
I'll shoot you a text with my email.

Windrock was a blast! It had rained on and off the entire day so finding traction on some obstacles became an issue. I have some photos and video too I'll add when I get back home.

The only "damage" I suffered on this trip was a broken sound bar, the speaker stripped the screws and fell out when coming down hard on a rock in Moab. And I bent my front bumper on a rock at Windrock. I for see a stubby bumper in the future!

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.