How in the world do girls change tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > How in the world do girls change tires?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Jancie
2014 JK Wrangler 

How in the world do girls change tires?

Ok, don't bash me but........it dawned on me today after I got the rubi takeoffs on Monday - how in the heck am I supposed to change tires if I can't lift the darn things?

I rolled my little stock 29" with 16" wheels out of my jeep to stack them in the garage which wasn't too bad but now am thinking with these new wheels and tires I am not going to be strong enough to change a flat!

I go the Rubi's from my horse trainer who just bought a Rubi and put a 3" lift and 35" tires on it and I am looking at her thinking "she can't change a flat either!" I know she is strong but I seriously doubt she is that strong!

Have I bit off more than I can chew? You have to lift them at least some to get these to the lugs and all I can think of is sitting down - resting the tire on the top of my legs and push up that way but I don't think that is going to work either.

Jancie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry--even burly men have a hard time with large tires. I've found that, if I jack the lug nuts to the perfect height in the garage, all it takes is lifting the wheel about an inch or a half inch to get it on the studs. I'd advise against putting any body part under the wheel, though.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Bring jack stands, so once you jack the body up use it to jack the tire.
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU
Bring jack stands, so once you jack the body up use it to jack the tire.
Alright that was probably stupid.
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You've got it right. Sit on your butt, slide your legs to each side of the tire and lift just a bit. Keeps yours hands free to move a bit to find the studs and your legs can obviously lift more than your arms could anyway. My buddy who used to change tires for a living is real good at it... I sometimes look like a moron while doing it. But it is really the easiest way.
Unread 07-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
Jancie
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ475 View Post
Don't worry--even burly men have a hard time with large tires. I've found that, if I jack the lug nuts to the perfect height in the garage, all it takes is lifting the wheel about an inch or a half inch to get it on the studs. I'd advise against putting any body part under the wheel, though.
Good point on having body parts under the wheels

Need to remember that along with remembering that I have 4" of rain sitting on top of my tarp and drain that off before pulling back on the tarp and flooding out my jeep last friday.

The things you learn with a jeep
Unread 07-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
Jancie
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
Alright that was probably stupid.
Not stupid but hard to follow...
Unread 07-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Jancie
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
You've got it right. Sit on your butt, slide your legs to each side of the tire and lift just a bit. Keeps yours hands free to move a bit to find the studs and your legs can obviously lift more than your arms could anyway. My buddy who used to change tires for a living is real good at it... I sometimes look like a moron while doing it. But it is really the easiest way.

I can follow those directions really well - thanks! My legs are super strong but my upper body strength sucks and well so does my back....my eyes.....you name it - I am getting old.
Unread 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm fairly strong, but I struggle to lift my 37's when rotating my tires. I use the method describes above of sitting and lifting with my legs. The trick is to not jack the jeep up too high, that way you don't have to lift much to get them on. I'm happy to demonstrate for you sometime.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ475 View Post
Im not a burly man and I don't have any problems slinging around my 31's.
BCrawford64 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Prepare a small piece of 2x4 and cut the edge like the shape of a ramp.
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I take the tires of my jeep all the time. Heck when I was fixing the rear drum brakes I took those tires on and off more times than I could count. My son-in-law wanted to know why I wasn't using the air compressor to take the lug nuts off and I told him I have done this so many times that I can get them off and back on faster than I can get the air compressor out and wait for it to air up. You do have to make sure you jack it to just the right height. And definitely be sitting to lift.

P.S. It's nice to have someone older than me around here now. LOL

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
1995 Green XJ -- rolled n sold :D
luv2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Marhey
2011 JK Wrangler 

I do the "sit and lift with my thighs and adjust with my hands" method. Yea, 37"s and beadlocks aren't the lightest set up, but it isn't too bad that way. I do a 5-tire rotation that includes my spare, so getting the spare back up to the carrier is a different story. I roll the spare onto my floor jack, balance it with one hand and jack it up with the other, then I lift it up to the carrier. Work smarter, not harder.
Marcus | UJC #158 | 2011 JKU Sport
Build Thread: http://goo.gl/ssaiHN
Marhey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have my spare in the back. My girls and I used to make jokes about putting the spare on the roof. We'd envision me climbing up to the roof to get it and then watching it roll down the street when I dropped it from the roof to the ground. LOL Hence why it's in the back and I can just lift it in place and bolt it in.

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
1995 Green XJ -- rolled n sold :D
luv2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
amandak
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about 100 lbs heavy and I do the sit and push with my knees/thighs thing. Worked for a while on a cargo trailer production line putting tires on all day, and no matter what I never had the upper body strength. The guys all laughed at me, but they never saw a girl who could change tires faster.
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.