Help me plan my Moab trip! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Help me plan my Moab trip!

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Help me plan my Moab trip!

This will be everyone in our groups first time to Moab. We're planning late March or early April (kinda wanna avoid EJS though because it will be way too crowded for my taste from what I've heard) I've wheeled everything local to me (AF canyon, 5-mile, The Snakes, etc.) We will probably be down there 3-4 days, camping, and we want some good scenery, and some moderately difficult trails for the rigs I am about to list, we've got:

My WJ soon to be on 33's, varilock diffs, 6 lift

2 XJs, both on 32's, open diffs, 4 lift

possibly a Chevy Blazer on 35's open difs 3 lift

possibly a Tacoma on 33's rear locker 4 lift

The trails I know we for sure want to do are Hell's Revenge, & Poison Spider, and maybe Top of the World.

We want to run 5-6 trails hopefully, but the only for sure ones we've got planned are the first 2, help me decide what other trails! I'm also looking for a good place to camp down there! I'm totally new to this Moab deal, but I really am excited! Just trying to get everything rolling to have everyone get work off, and have it planned good so we don't waste time!

Also if anyone has a good trail map online for these trails that would be awesome!!

Unread 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
clgielin
2003 WJ 

If you're looking for campground camping, I stay at the Riverside Oasis when in Moab. They have the only sites with grass and the shower facilities are pretty good.

As for trails, pick up this book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...G44XBY575X8WBJ

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
MooreJeepin93
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good trail selections, do you want some more difficult trails or scenic as well, I really like 3D and fins and things! But those are kind of warm up trails
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Fins is fun, especially at night. It is right by Hells, so it is easy to run both in one day. Poison is awesome. Top of the World is an amazing view, but it is about 30 miles to the trailhead...5 miles of dirt roads, then several miles of bumps up to the viewpoint. It isn't a technical trail, but the view is really amazing.

Post up when you finalize your plans. I was thinking of going down for EJS to enjoy the chaos one more time, but we may end up going down just before or after as well (my wife would prefer a less crowded time). X2 on Oasis, nice place. I wish you could have a fire there though.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love fins and things, hells, and poison spider. If you happen to pick up that book (I highly recommend it, it's much easier to navigate trails with it), I would also suggest 7 mile rim. It's an all day trail but you see some great arches and it is a good mix of sand and technical portions. Elephant hill is a classic and it's always worth the hr drive out of town in my opinion. So take a look at that one too.
LeeMasterGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

I'll be creepin on this thread cause I'm also headed out to moab but in my lifted Dakota. Was thinkin the week before EJS so its not busy. But also goin solo with just my girl so I gotta be smart. I'll do the easy stuff unless I get lucky enough to find a group
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook87 View Post
I'll be creepin on this thread cause I'm also headed out to moab but in my lifted Dakota. Was thinkin the week before EJS so its not busy. But also goin solo with just my girl so I gotta be smart. I'll do the easy stuff unless I get lucky enough to find a group
If by the week before you mean the 17th-23rd then as a heads up ill let you know the safari starts that week on friday the 22nd. Generally the week before and the week after there are plenty of people around, at least on the more well known trails. You could also stop by the main store in town (city market) in the mornings as lots of people tend to meet up there and you could hop in a group you find.

I know there is a local group tentatively planning on going the week after safari and probably wouldnt mind you tagging along.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

There's some amazing BLM campsites, if you want to rough it, and get away from the crowds. If you're wanting full facilities, then Riverside is nice. The BLM sites on the way to Dead Horse Pt. State Park/Canyonlands are a bit of a drive, but less crowded.
There's tons of trails around Gemini Bridges, and near Monitor and Merimac Buttes (off Hwy 313).
MoabWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.