Guns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Guns

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 02-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Guns

This saturday im heading with some of my brothers to the gun show. Im considering buying a pistol. Ive always wanted one since each time i go camping at 5 mile i seem to be accosted by the local coyote/wolf/dingo/whatever population.

Last time i brought my shotgun but it was such a hassle in my small trailer tent plus it doesnt seem feasible in a quick situation to get it out of its case.

Anyway ill be looking for some cheap form of a pistol. Ive been told to look for a glock. Me personally i saw a colt 1911(i think its called that) on a xbox game cover and it looked pretty good.

What im looking for is a cheap gun that looks good, has alot of aftermarket goodies available, and wont be too affected by being in a dusty dirty environment. I want a good gun but not one im going to be broke if i drop it in the river and it washes away, a wolf bites off my hand and runs away with it, Andy steals it, or some other unforeseen event. Thinking $500 or less?

Eventually i will be buying a desert eagle .50 and that will be my overkill for fun gun so this gun can be whatever as long as it kills what i point it at.

What do you guys think?

"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
k9popo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Find a Glock 17 or 22...You'll be happy you did...
UJC#10
06' TJ Rubi-CON
Savvy/Currie/Poison Spyder/Rokmen/Falken
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm a 1911 guy my self, and really dislike Glocks. But that is just a personal choice.

Before you go out and spend money it is best to find some place to test shoot a few different models and see what feels best in your hands, and what features you like and don't like.

Most indoor ranges have rental guns that you can try out.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
james97zj
1997 ZJ 

im not a big glock fan either. too bulky for me. i love my taurus millenium

UjC # 110

1997 Grand Cherokee 4.5 inch lift 33x11.50 nitto trail grappler mt. Flowmaster custom exhaust
2000 Honda Accord V6 - stock
2009 Scion tC - stock
james97zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you shoot mine when we were out by Utah Lake? I have 2 Springfields (XD and XDm) and a Kahr, all in .40. Glocks are great, reliable guns, but so are the Springfields. I don't hear many complaints from the Ruger or Taurus guys either. It pretty much comes down to what you have to spend and what feels good in your hands. When you're at the show, handle as many pistols and you can get a hold of. Sometimes you just pick one up and think, "Woah, this thing is like a natural extension of my arm." Or you might think, "Eww... this thing is a cumbersome brick."

If you were looking for a CCW, I'd tell you to not even think about buying a gun until you've gone to Impact or somewhere similar and rented every one that felt good to you to see how they shoot as well. Where this is going to be a cheap(ish) coyote deterrent, I don't know that you need to go to all that trouble.

However, I will say that I'm with Rudy... you can't beat a quality 1911. You can pick up a base model for around what you're looking to spend. They are also the Jeep of the pistol world when it comes to mods and aftermarket goodies. My next pistol purchase with be 2 quality frames (along the lines of Les Baer or Wilson Combat) and build them up from there with the help of a buddy that has customized 1911s for 40+ years. One to shoot the crap out of and one for a safe queen.

What time are you thinking of hitting the show?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

a glock bulky? lol

Here's my opinion with guns... Its very hard to say one is "better" than another or the "best" So my recommendation to everyone is to go out and shoot each type they are considering.. I use to love the XD and XDm and thought I could shoot one very well. Then I shot my first Glock and was amazed how much more natural it felt to me.. each gun has a different grip and design and you will feel more natural with one or the other.. If you want to shoot my 4th Gen Glock 17 again just let me know.

oh and look what I just did to it (I'm currently doing it over with some more white and smaller squares..)
img_2724.jpg  
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have a Ruger P94 that I have been very happy with. It was under $400, and I have probably shot around 3k shells through it. My bro loves his Glock 9mm, another brother prefers his Taurus (very easy to conceal), and another brother likes his Springfield...haha. We all show up with something different. Those are the guns that I have experience shooting.

I bought mine because it was inexpensive and of good quality. The next gun I buy will be the high capacity .40 Springfield (XDM) that holds 16 rounds. For concealing though, It seems like Glock and Taurus are good options.

Make sure to shoot a few before you decide. If you can't meet up with a few people here to try them out, follow Rudy's suggestion and go to an indoor range and try a few out. You really need to hold the gun in your hand and fire it to see if it is comfortable to you.

EDIT: John, that looks so cool! I dig the paint.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good info to know. Definitely will be holding alot of them. My brother is a knowledgeable gun guy as well and he should be there to help. His gun is a beretta.

Any ideas on ammo prices or are they all around the same? I would think 9mm is cheapest but....

Andy: I'm not 100% sure on the time. My brothers are last minute guys. Should know tonight though. I'm figuring around 10 or 11 ish we will head up.

I can't recall which guns I shot. I know I shot the silenced one of yours and I think one john brought.
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I bought mine because it was inexpensive and of good quality. The next gun I buy will be the high capacity .40 Springfield (XDM) that holds 16 rounds.
I have the XDm Compact 3.8 that holds 16 with the extended mag and 12 (I think?) with the short mag. I need to get a good IWB holster and try concealing it with the shorter mag... I think it would be sweet. Plus having 12 rounds instead of the 6 my Kahr holds would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
Any ideas on ammo prices or are they all around the same? I would think 9mm is cheapest but....

Andy: I'm not 100% sure on the time. My brothers are last minute guys. Should know tonight though. I'm figuring around 10 or 11 ish we will head up.
9 is cheaper than .40 which is cheaper than .45, but unless you're going to be shooting 1,000 rounds a week I don't think the difference is enough to draw me to or deter me from any gun. Check out the prices when you're at the show and you'll get a pretty good idea.

We're going to be as far north as Payson tomorrow morning for a family thing. I'd like to sneak up to the show for a while, but my kids are quickly finding other activities up there to fill my time If I do make it, it wouldn't be until 2 or 3 in the afternoon...
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
I can't recall which guns I shot. I know I shot the silenced one of yours and I think one john brought.
Oh yeah... so you would have shot John's Gen 4 Glock and my little Walther P22. You should have shot the XD, XDm, and Kahr!
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ya u shot my Glock. It's the 9mm Glock 17 4th gen that holds 17 rounds. One nice thing about a Glock 4th Gen is that they come with multiple backs for the grip. So there is a small, med, and large size grip for each gun. It's nice If u have large or small hands because u can adjust it to what feels comfortable.

I really want to go shoot a 1911. I think Charity has one for her Academy Firearm. it's the only one I haven't shot.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like we are heading up at 11. Maybe if I get one we will go shooting after. I like that the glock can change for different hands. Can 1911s as well?
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
lostinIA
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Love my 40 cal Taurus 24/7 pro. That being said, for the dusty, dirty situation you are describing, a good revolver may be the way to go. Not as affected by being dirty, can't hardly beat for reliability, and you should be able to pick up a decent one for a good price. I see them online and at gun shops with the Crimson Trace laser grips for around what you are looking to spend. IMHO, in an emergency situation, for someone without a ton of experience, a revolver is probably easier to use under duress. Just point and click.
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
bradentaala
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the feel of 1911's, but they aren't cheap. I don't like the feel of Glock. Out of the 16-18 firearms that i own, I've only sold 1, the Glock 22. Also with ammo being so pricey, i have a .22 conversion for my 1911's that is a lot of fun...

The important thing is that the pistol you get fits and feels good in your hand...
'00 TJ, 14" coilovers, teraflex speedbumps, double triangulated 4 link, 3 link, D60, 14 bolt, 42" Kevlars, 17" walker evans beadlocks, high lines, 104" wb, atlas 4 (11.7:1), hydro assist steering, hydro boost brakes, belly up, Corbeau CR1 w/5pt harness.

bradentaala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradentaala
I like the feel of 1911's, but they aren't cheap. I don't like the feel of Glock. Out of the 16-18 firearms that i own, I've only sold 1, the Glock 22. Also with ammo being so pricey, i have a .22 conversion for my 1911's that is a lot of fun...

The important thing is that the pistol you get fits and feels good in your hand...
Dang I thought the 1911s would be cheaper since there are so many people making them and have been around a while

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.