Going to Moab next weekend.need some advice on where to go! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Going to Moab next weekend.need some advice on where to go!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
ahopper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Going to Moab next weekend.need some advice on where to go!

next weekend im heading to Moab to do some wheeling in the xj. i was wondering if anyone has a good place to stay and camp? can you camp out on the trails?
also, with the rig in my sig does anyone have any prefered trails to for me to do? i wont have a winch or sliders yet for it b4 i go (but i dont really mind a few war wounds on it, and i am towing it out there )
im leaving flagstaff saterday midday and will be in Moab till monday probly. if anyone wants to or if you will be there let me know! i dont really want to be the only one out there wheeling.

Unread 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For a great scenic trail check out Shafer Trail. Drivign up (or down) the switchbacks is a lot of fun. Combine it with Long Canyon and you have a full day there.

Sevenmile rim is great and you can't beat Fins N Things for an introduction to Slickrock. A stocker can do it with taking careful lines in some places.

Before you go get the Moab trails book by Charles Wells and read through it. Even the trails you have no intention of going on. There is a ton of great info in the book.
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
ahopper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Ill let ya know how it goes! Anyone know where would be a good (cheap) place to camp?
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
CalaskanTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was down there last weekend and camped at a campground along Kane Creek Road. Turn left at the McDonalds (when heading north through the town of Moab. The road goes for a long ways, but there are a lot of places to camp out there. If you buy the book that was recommended above (I bought mine at Barnes and Nobles) it shows which trails have campgrounds along them. I can't wait to get down there with my Jeep, it was in the shop getting the ARB's and Ford 8.8 installed when I was down there last weekend, good thing it is only 4 hours away from me now!! Have fun.
1997 TJ. 4.0, 5spd. 4" Lift, 33" MTR's, D30 front with ARB, rear 8.8 with ARB, 4.10 gears, KC Slimlites, Superwinch EPi9.0s, Hi-lift Jack. Trail Gear front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier, rock sliders and steering skid.

UTAH JEEPCREW #20
CalaskanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I didn't see this thread before I went down Friday - Sunday or we could've hooked up We stayed at the Lone Mesa group site on 131 toward Dead Horse Point. Did Hey Joe Canyon, Metal Masher, headed out to Wipeout Hill, etc. Good times.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
ahopper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up camping along the river off of the 128. We did. Kane canyon, fins and things, and 7 mile run. We may do 1more when we go back thru to get home (in denver now) I bought the book and I have no idea how I would of found any of the trails without it!
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
ahopper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up camping along the river off of the 128. We did. Kane canyon, fins and things, and 7 mile run. We may do 1more when we go back thru to get home (in denver now) I bought the book and I have no idea how I would of found any of the trails without it!
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Glad you had a good time. How was Kane? I might do that this summer.

Post pics now dangit!
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
ahopper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I will be getting pics up as soon as I get back to flagstaff.(using my phone right now)

Kane was fun and the girlfriend really enjoyed it. The first 3miles or so are very rocky and bumpy. You cross the creek many times and it was a very senic rought but not as hard as I thought it would be. When u climb out of the canyon is where it got more difficult. Ill post picks up when I get home and u can see

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.