Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What do you want to do about Saturday?

Ghost Town Expedition Contigency Plan - PLEASE READ!

716 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  00JGC00 
#1 ·
***PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAN ON OR ARE GOING TO TRY TO ATTEND THE NOV SOCIAL***

Ok, I've been watching the weather and there is a good chance Saturday's weather will get pretty nasty. I want to get an idea of what you all think we should do about it. Please vote ASAP so this weekend still goes as smooth as possible.

:highfive:

#2 ·
I wont vote since its looking like my axle shaft won't show up in time but i will say that the main sites to see on the actual trail, besides the restored buildings in town, are on the steep switch back section and I wouldn't go on that part if there is a few inches of slick snow.

You still could go up the second entrance and see some good views though. Its fairly safe.

#3 ·
Do you have any general directions/idea of where the actual trail is vs. the second entrance?

P.S. Well, technically you can still vote to go bowling since you won't need your axle for that (unless you wouldn't go bowling either).

#4 ·
I'll try to google map screen shot it when I get home. A basic way to tell is one trail is not big enough width wise to fit two jeeps side by side and it runs up the mountain towards the west aka you feel like your heading back towards the city. The other is maybe 100 yards past the first entrance and goes up a type of canyon. It was plenty wide up to the meadow at the top. It has a few run off caused ditches but nothing bad.

you will know you missed the entrances if you hit a camping area and eventually a wall of I-beams blocking the road to mercer. I believe there is a playground looking place by one of the entrances.

man I really wish I was coming. So much easier to show you

#5 ·
Ha, I wish you were coming too. Maybe you could just ride along? :shhh:

Say you were able to bring your Jeep - what are your thoughts on the weather? Would you still go? You're the best person for that question anyway since you've been there.

#6 ·
Well I'm not sure on who all is coming and the specs on their rigs but ksl is indicating the snow would come later in the day so you could get away with running the switchbacks in the morning and coming down the canyon in the snow if it comes. I have lockers, a winch, and I dont mind doing vehicle recovery so I'd probably still go if the weather report stays the same. If by friday afternoon the snow is already coming, or will for sure be a blizzard all day, and there are some stock rigs or inexperienced drivers I probably would do something else.

One exception would be if you have a couple super capable rigs who want to plow the way/potentially pull others along. That could be fun seeing how far you can go.

Last thought on the matter is 5 mile pass is not too far from there so you could either just go there or try ophir and if its sketchy then hit up 5 mile. 5 mile can be way fun in snow.

#8 ·
Great input. Well, it sounds like we'll be safe in saying we'll be able to do something at least. And I didn't even think about 5-mile. That would be a good back-up plan too if Ophir got too insane.

#7 ·
I think that would be one exception where my Jeep would excel - deep snow fording. The low crawl ratio (2.43:1 xfer, 5.36:1 axle, 2.98 1st gear) plus the high ground clearance and the tires I have I'm thinking it will only be exceeded in snow traction ability by something with tracks.

Too bad my transfer case wouldn't hold up to tying anyone to the rear bumper. :(

#10 ·
Here is the map of the area. As you can see you go pretty much all the way through the town, then when you pass the rich dudes house you look on the right for a field that i said earlier i think they are turning into a park with playground equipment. you can also see the second entrance isnt much further past that in fact it appears there is a road connecting the two through the field in this map.

Attachments

#11 ·
How to beat left 4 dead? lol

#12 ·
I'm in Logan and plan on being at the meeting point Saturday morning. If the weather turns to crap so be it.

19th does not work for me as I would be flying back to Houston that day.

#14 ·
Lol I knew someone would see that :)
lol. My bros are obsessed with that game.

Thanks for the directions Brian. That's a big help. :)

I'm in Logan and plan on being at the meeting point Saturday morning. If the weather turns to crap so be it.
19th does not work for me as I would be flying back to Houston that day.
And you have a winch so that's good. I was watching the weater again this morning and they say it's supposed to be crappy in the morning, but then it stops around the afternoon and then resumes in the evening. So honestly, I think we'll be okay. I'm going to plan on the original plan as well. Everyone just make sure you are well supplied, warm, buddled, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.