Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

General CrewCHAT!

200K views 4K replies 95 participants last post by  Tuffjeeper 
#1 ·
Let the random chit chat commence...

#1,691 ·
Anyone know where I can learn how to weld around here??? I'm talking about from absolute idiocy level here.

I really want to start to fabricate my own stuff to save money (maybe even buy a precut cage and install myself). But I have no idea where to start. I've seen a few websites online explaining the type of welders and such, but I get so lost when they start using phrases such as "arc puddle", "slag", etc. So I think I need an explanation from the beginning.

Thanks!

#1,692 ·
flnbar said:
Anyone know where I can learn how to weld around here??? I'm talking about from absolute idiocy level here.

I really want to start to fabricate my own stuff to save money (maybe even buy a precut cage and install myself). But I have no idea where to start. I've seen a few websites online explaining the type of welders and such, but I get so lost when they start using phrases such as "arc puddle", "slag", etc. So I think I need an explanation from the beginning.

Thanks!
Give a shout to us against one. He is a awesome welder. He can tell you all there is to know about welding

#1,696 ·
90lsturbo said:
lol ya I figured I'm probably stuck with it anyhow might as well fix it :rolleyes:
Im glad your fixing it. It seems like there is only a couple zj's in ujc. I wanna go to a social where Im not the only one rocking one. What did they find out the problem was

#1,703 ·
well its 2 parts 1. when i did the waterpump after it dying in AF canyon and overheating, i also replaced both the lower and upper rad hoses and thermostat, well in the course of putting the thermo in, i overtightened/ crossthreaded one of the bolts and snapped it in the head, so i need to get it rethreaded but its been 3 months and still hasnt been done so so im taking it back, replacing the head and the headgasket and having it towed to hinckley for part 2.the shop its at now believes the security system that jeep installed to help prevent the vehicle from being stolen back in 1993 wont allow it to run so i need to have the dealership basically do whatever they do to tell it " hey your not being stolen, quit freaking out and run dammit " lol

#1,698 ·
Matt, 311, K9, and Skully's have all joined the dark side. Come on Matt, we'll make the transition easy for you.

First step... Shifting into 4 lo.... :shhh:

:cheers::cheers:

Not that I have room to talk, Ive put 3k miles on the Jeep since I bought the Focus a year ago August. But...... its % of drive time off road has increased 10 fold.

#1,699 ·
Ha, if I could afford to have a full-time wheeler, it will probably be a Wrangler. :thumbsup:

#1,705 ·
90lsturbo said:
well its 2 parts 1. when i did the waterpump after it dying in AF canyon and overheating, i also replaced both the lower and upper rad hoses and thermostat, well in the course of putting the thermo in, i overtightened/ crossthreaded one of the bolts and snapped it in the head, so i need to get it rethreaded but its been 3 months and still hasnt been done so so im taking it back, replacing the head and the headgasket and having it towed to hinckley for part 2.the shop its at now believes the security system that jeep installed to help prevent the vehicle from being stolen back in 1993 wont allow it to run so i need to have the dealership basically do whatever they do to tell it " hey your not being stolen, quit freaking out and run dammit " lol
Damn. Stupid security systems.

#1,709 ·
I think my old Dana 30 took is taking a poop on me. Fluid is 3 days only and burnt bad and has tons of shavings in it. When i let off the go pedal i hear it grinding

#1,714 ·
In a word - no. Almost all of the D44 front axles you'll find will be off a leaf sprung vehicle. Which means not only will you need to shorten the tubes and axle shafts, but you'll need to have coil spring perches and control arm brackets welded on.

Plus all the ones from Chevy trucks (the preferred donor) will have 6 bolt wheels...

#1,724 ·
:laugh:

I can laugh because I was in your shoes when I joined as well.

After I broke my 31 spline chromolly shaft in my front currie high pinion axle on 32 inch tires I have questioned my whole existence....
:fistlaugh:

Seriously though. This story makes me never want to upgrade. I'm sure I'd be hanging by a street light if that ever happened to me. That's like wearing a bullet-proof vest and then getting killed by a BB-Gun to the heart.

#1,716 ·
Thats not what i want to hear. I can weld perches and mount brackets. Why would i have to shorten the tubes. I wouldn't mind a wider front track

#1,717 ·
Honestly, stick with what you have until something breaks in them. The D35/D30 combo is an excellent setup for a ZJ until you go over 33" tires. There really isn't a simple/inexpensive replacement for the front. Just about every Jeep out there from 1972 to present uses the D30 in some shape manner or form. There's the low pinion, high pinion, open/closed knuckle, U-joint/CV. But when it all comes down to it, they're still all a D30.

I guess if you wanted to sink more into your axles than you probably paid for the Jeep, you could get a set of Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer axles and have them shortened/welded. Unless you can weld REALLY well (I've been welding on and off since 1983 and I wouldn't attempt it myself), it's going to be REALLY expensive to have someone do it.

#1,719 ·
James, not sure you'd want to go from stock to what a Chevy K20/K30 has for width. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe the K20 D44 is something like 7.5" wider. For me on my CJ, that's not a big problem because I've got the serious deep dish offset on my wheels. I would just put modern "flush face" offset wheels on and be able to keep the tires under the fenders. You'd be looking at something like a 4" Bushwhacker flare set by the time you were done.

#1,722 ·
Not deep pockets at all. I would just do it once and be done with it than hate my life doing the same thing 2 or 3 times

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.