First Time to Moab - Elephant Hill? Need advice/suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > First Time to Moab - Elephant Hill? Need advice/suggestions

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jk First Time to Moab - Elephant Hill? Need advice/suggestions

I am putting together a trip itinerary for our upcoming trip to Moab at the end of August. I have a friend who suggested that when we are down in Moab we absolutely have to go to Elephant Hill. I have been trying to research it and make sure this is something we want to do and can do but I need some advice from those who have been there. I have a 2012 Sahara Unlimited that is bone stock. We plan on upgrading our tires before we go but other than that we will not have any mods. We have considered getting a winch but we are still debating.

During my research, I came across something that said that JK's are not allowed in the narrow of Elephant Hill because they don't fit. Can someone please confirm this? We really don't want to find ourselves in a bad situation.

Also, if there are any trails you would highly recommend, I would love to hear them. We will be arriving in Canyonlands on August 24th and be staying until August 29th. Looking for tips from you guys because you are the most familiar with the area and what NOT to do. We plan on going to Canyonlands, Arches and Zion. We live up in Washington State on the east side of the state so we have completely different weather and driving conditions the in the Utah area. We just want to make sure we have a fabulous and safe time!

As a side note, we have not done a ton of off-roading so we don't want to get too crazy but are willing to try just about anything once.

2014 "Copperhead" Rubicon Unlimited
"Silly Boys Jeeps Are For Girls"
babysvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like it gets a tad bit tight....for bigger rigs.

We didn't make it to Elephant Hill while we were there....maybe next time. I did wonder about the 84" axle width on the TJ that was with me and if it'd make it.

I've seen vids on YouTube of JK's, on 40's going through that gap.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

I love that picture! Makes it look easy for my JK!!! I will have to show this to the husband! Thanks for the response.

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check out 1:50 or so.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

You will be just fine on elephant hill, it is a great trail with unique scenary. Some of the JK's in that video are running D60's IIRC. It will be tight in that section of the trail, but it is doable.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

I rented a 2 door JK last year and ran Elephant Hill in it. No problem at all. You will love that trail! Look at Gemini Bridges, Top of the World, Long Canyon, and Shafer trail for fun trails that have awesome scenery.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ya elephant shouldn't be rated difficult. It's a snoozer for sure. Only weird thing is backing up on the hill for one section and some people back through a narrow section with a boulder near the end. You will be fine!
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was down last weekend and we did Onion Creek. Its not wheeling since its a decent dirt road but I thought it was awesome. The road crosses the creek at least a dozen times and when you get up on top it opens up into a valley that is super awesome. Since your in a new JK I'm not sure home much hard wheeling you will want to do but this is a nice ride up the canyon with great scenery. Its going to be really hot so it might be nice to take lunch up and eat while playing in the water for a minute. It is going to be a regular trail for me when I go down because of how pretty it is.

As far as elephant hill, I wanted to go on it but its pretty far out of town and I didn't want to drive that far for just the trail. We did it when I was a kid in a stock grand wagoneer and only scrapped a little.

This is where we stopped for lunch on onion creek The truck is mine, we did it on the way out of town and I was flat towing my CJ7.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I was down last weekend and we did Onion Creek. Its not wheeling since its a decent dirt road but I thought it was awesome. The road crosses the creek at least a dozen times and when you get up on top it opens up into a valley that is super awesome. Since your in a new JK I'm not sure home much hard wheeling you will want to do but this is a nice ride up the canyon with great scenery. Its going to be really hot so it might be nice to take lunch up and eat while playing in the water for a minute. It is going to be a regular trail for me when I go down because of how pretty it is.

As far as elephant hill, I wanted to go on it but its pretty far out of town and I didn't want to drive that far for just the trail. We did it when I was a kid in a stock grand wagoneer and only scrapped a little.

This is where we stopped for lunch on onion creek The truck is mine, we did it on the way out of town and I was flat towing my CJ7.
Thanks so much for this great idea. I will have to add it to my list. I love to drive through any kind of water or mud and you are right that it would be great because it will be hot. I am not opposed to taking my Jeep places because it is new. I love to have fun with it offroading. In fact, the first time out I lost a headlight, my horn and the hood liner. I guess that is the price you pay for running in puddles all day!

We have heard of so many great trails that we are having a hard time deciding.

Unread 06-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysvt View Post
Thanks so much for this great idea. I will have to add it to my list. I love to drive through any kind of water or mud and you are right that it would be great because it will be hot. I am not opposed to taking my Jeep places because it is new. I love to have fun with it offroading. In fact, the first time out I lost a headlight, my horn and the hood liner. I guess that is the price you pay for running in puddles all day!

We have heard of so many great trails that we are having a hard time deciding.
If you go out to do Onion Creek make sure you hit Dome Plateau or Top of The World, since they are both out that way....and 30 miles from Moab.

Onion Creek is considered an easy trail.
Dome Plateau is considered a moderate trail.
Top of The World is considered a difficult trail, but totally doable in stock form.

Top of the World and Dome Plateau are right across the street from each other. If you Did Dome first, then TOTW, you'd probably have time for Onion after those, so long as you got started by 8 or 9am.

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily call Onion a trail but I just loved driving through the canyon to have it open up into a valley on top. View from on top. I will have to keep a mental note about Dome and Top of the World. My buddy knows the area really well and I just followed him around the whole time but will ask about making a day trip and hitting all three on our next excursion. What # would you give to Dome and TOTW?
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
What # would you give to Dome and TOTW?
Numbers are so subjective, as are easy, moderate and difficult ratings found in the Moab guide book.

Dome is rated as Moderate....but it's actually very easy. There's and alternate section that I'd call moderate, but it's totally avoidable.

Top of the World is rated as Difficult....but it's totally doable in a stock Jeep. It's got a few ledges and is quite bumpy with small shelf ledges/steps most of the way. The view from the top is awesome.

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
babysvt
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thank you so very much for the information and suggestions. I am getting so excited to get out there and have some fun!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.