Favorite Moab Trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Favorite Moab Trails?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Favorite Moab Trails?

I'd love to hear your opinions on what trails are your favorite and for what reason. (Difficulty, scenery, etc.)
I'm going down to Moab the first week of May for the first time. Can't wait!
We will be RENTING an '08 JK Rubicon with a 2" lift so I think we can do some difficult trails, but nothing too hard. I really want to do Fins N Things, but I also don't want to take the chance to destroy a rental...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be in Moab from May 11th till ~May16th.

I tend to like 'em all for various reasons.

Upper Proving Grounds is one I really like. We had lots of fun this day.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply and sweet pics, but I think that's just a tad too extreme for us...
BTW, nice YJ!
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You gotta understand....Joe Dillard Jeepin' is like nobody else's Jeepin'!!
Unread 04-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
wil badger

Make a list and enjoy them while they are still around.They are going to be disappearing quickly.You do know they plan on closing up to 1.8 million acres in southeast Utah?

BLM RMP Draft

This happened several moths ago.We did all we could now they are in the middle of revising it .Nobody knows what they will and will not be excepting as legal roads/trails.

If you really want to help become a member of U4WDA .for $10 dollars you can become a member and that money is used to go towards the fight to keep trails open and clean.
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Wow that sucks about the trail closures, they closed a large part of the BLM Off road park near me. thousands of acres closed.

I will be there the same times as J Dillard staying at canyonlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbroke View Post
Wow that sucks about the trail closures, they closed a large part of the BLM Off road park near me. thousands of acres closed.

I will be there the same times as J Dillard staying at canyonlands
I'll be staying at Canyonlands Campground too.

You gunna be at the party in the pavillion?
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

While not as tough as seen in the other pics, here are some you can do in the rental and have a great time. Pretty much tehre are No bad trails in Moab!

7 Mile Rim

Cliff Hanger

Kane Creek

Oh and As mentioned above, PLEASE join U4WDA or Blue Ribbon Coalition and get involved in Fighting to keep OUR trails OPEN.
99 TJ, Green - Son 2
HotRodOil.com
LOST JEEPS Club So-Cal Forum
JJsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I actually have 7 mile on my list of "possibles". Thanks for the sweet pics!
Nice KJ too!
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got back from my first Moab trip last week and it was a blast. Fins n' Things is a great trail and a great primer for hells revenge. metal masher and steel bender are great trails that have great obsticles that also have bypasses. The trail to Gemini bridges isn't challenging but has great views. It's not a good idea to go alone but we a lot of groups there and you could hook up with someone else to wheel with.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder what brand oil is being used in the Libby? Nice pics!
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are driving a rental you'll want to avoid some of the tougher, high risk trails. But there's still plenty to enjoy that will challenge you. How long are you going to be there (how many days on the trail)? I would recommend the following to get you started:

1. Poison Spider
2. Kane Creek
3. Steel Bender
4. Fins-n-Things
5. Hells Revenge

Here's a web site that gives some information about the trails:
http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Right now, I only have the rental for 1 day. I'm really afraid that when I'm down there I'm gonna wish I rented it for 2 days.. We'll see what happens. If we can, we might try to get another day in.

"Fins" is my first choice, then I thought about doing a less difficult but more scenic trail. I thought maybe 7 mile rim or top of the world. I thought since my time in the Jeep will be limited I'd do Fins (which is rock) then do a different type of trail that is either sandy or on the river bottom, etc. I don't know. I want to see it all!!

I've heard good things about Elephant Hill, but it's so far away! Like 70 miles just to get to it... That will eat up my rental time.
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RustyXJ View Post
Right now, I only have the rental for 1 day. I'm really afraid that when I'm down there I'm gonna wish I rented it for 2 days.. We'll see what happens. If we can, we might try to get another day in.

"Fins" is my first choice, then I thought about doing a less difficult but more scenic trail. I thought maybe 7 mile rim or top of the world. I thought since my time in the Jeep will be limited I'd do Fins (which is rock) then do a different type of trail that is either sandy or on the river bottom, etc. I don't know. I want to see it all!!

I've heard good things about Elephant Hill, but it's so far away! Like 70 miles just to get to it... That will eat up my rental time.
Nope, you're not going to wish you had it for 2 days. You will wish you had it for 10 days!!! Seriously, you will be longing for more but if all you have is a single day then take what you can get. If I only had one day I'd probably do Fin's and Poison Spider as both a fairly short but give you a pretty good variety of what Moab has to offer.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
XJohnnyC

I did Fins for the first time a few months ago. It's not difficult at all. I was laughing the whole time because it felt like we were on a little kiddies' version of Hell's Revenge. But it was still fun.

Fins N Things

Hell's Revenge

I would recommend Hell's Revenge. It can easily be done in a rental. If these guys can do it, so can you.

The tougher obstacles like Hell's Gate, Escalator, and Mickey's Hot Tub are purely optional. But it's cool to at least check them out. And Tipover Challenge has a bypass.

Escalator

Hell's Gate

Tipover Challenge

Hell's Revenge isn't the toughest trail in Moab, but it's arguably the most famous one.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.