EJS First Timer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > EJS First Timer

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

EJS First Timer

So i decided to try and keep and update a mini blog type post where i give updates on my trip to EJS, trails i go on, pictures, etc...

Since this is my first time there it should offer a firsthand insight into what its like(hopefully), plus it allows me to have a place to keep a record of the trip.

Tentative schedule

Fri 22nd - Arrive at camp/setup
Sat 23rd - Rose Garden Hill
Sun 24th - Lottery trail day - Trail unknown at this time
Mon 25th - Long canyon / Mountain biking
Tue 26th - Tentatively Gemini Bridges , but may end up doing something else
Wed 27th - Hells Revenge / Fins n Things
Thur 28th - Elephant Hill - Paid Run
Fri 29th - Golden Spike
Sat 30th - Flat Iron Mesa - Paid Run
Sun 31st - Pack up and head home

"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Prep

Its been pretty crazy getting ready for this trip. There are alot of things that i put off doing such as rocklights and painting the jeep since they werent priorities. I should probably plan at least 1 trip to moab each year just so i wrap up all my unfinished projects

Anyway as far as my rig goes i installed hydro assist steeering(pump, reservoir, ram, etc..), behind the axle high steer tie rod, fixed a rear axle seal, repainted the fenders, boatsides, and headlight grills, bought and installed a cb radio, tuned said radio, installed the rocklights i have had for over a year, installed a rear smittybilt seat cover, and a few other odds and ends.

During the same time i also assisted jeff with the removal of his hard top, painting his jeep, installing seat covers, installing cb radio, fixing the front end play, cleaning up/painting the rusted spots, changing out the side mirrors, installing a tire carrier, installing a truck box, swapping out the power steering pump, and other odds and ends. I also bought him a spartan locker for his birthday and installed it as a surprise on Monday.

Also during this time my brother purchased a dana 44 with 4.56 gears and a detroit locker. Swapped the front axle on his cherokee from low pinion to high and did various upgrades at that time. Converted his dana 44 to disk brakes, then took it into six states for a rebuild. Six states informed him the housing was bent. Of course this was last week on a friday at 1pm. I quickly scrambled and tracked down a new housing out in herriman that we picked up on saturday. He dropped that off on monday and they had it done for him by tuesday. Both housings had one bent shaft so between the 2 they pieced together a good axle. He will be installing that axle today and then meeting us down in moab on tuesday.

To top it all off my offer on a house was accepted so ive been dealing with all the paperwork and headache associated with that, and moving out of my apartment.

Needless to say March has been a very busy month leading up to this trip.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Day1

Finished moving the last items out of my apartment this morning. Went into work early instead of sleeping so that i could get off early and pack up the truck/jeep(8 hours of sleep over the past 48 is ok right?). Hoping to be heading down to moab by 6pm.

Jeff is currently out searching the junkyards for a rear leaf spring for his comanche. We discovered a broken leaf in his spring pack after the install of the spartan locker. Hopefully all goes smoothly and he can get that spring in without issue so we can leave on time.

10:00am - it's snowing...WTH?! Spanish fork canyon(aka Hell canyon) is going to be a blast

12:30 - Jeff reports the leaf spring is now installed. Phew!

Got off work at 330. Went and bought a ton of wood since its so cold.

650. Hitched up the jeep and am heading to get gas and stop at SAMs club.

I'm an hour behind schedule

8:10 leaving SAMs club for Moab. 3.5 hours away... Also thanks Andy for pointing out you are almost there

1150 - made it! This place seems like a ghost town with no one around. Interested to see if its busy tomorrow.
image-1742383661.jpg   image-2519405609.jpg   image-2748967498.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It is freezing down here! Woke up with teeth chattering at 5. Swapped a new cylinder into the tent heater but it just can't cut it. Finally got up at 8 and got ready for the day. Planning on rise garden hill today.

8:30 - Hmmm...toothpaste apparently has frozen on the tube.

Spoke with andy around 9. We had a few errands to run so we decided to meet up at the city market. Around 10:30 we left for rose garden hill. You first do onion creek which was fun, then rose garden, then at the end we made the mistake of going to top of the world since it was right there. The view at the end was amazing, the trial to get there blows. Its not easy enough you can go fast and not hard enough to be interesting, just and hour of annoyance up and another hour back down. After that we checked out the cave house near the trail end. Its still way cold here but improving slightly.

Overall so far its not really very busy here and we rarely see anyone on the trails. Maybe saw a handful the whole day. Pretty good for a saturday in moab.
small2_001.jpg

small2_002.jpg

small2_003.jpg

small2_004.jpg

small2_005.jpg

small2_006.jpg

small2_007.jpg

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For our lottery day we ended up with metal masher as the trail. we met up at mcdonalds with some friends and on our way out to the parking lot we noticed fluid under jeffs comanche. It had blown a high pressure line. we got him back to camp and gave him the keys to my truck so he had a way to work on his rig. We then bolted after the group and baja'd halfway through metal masher, boulders and all We met up with the group and were running the trail backwards. We reached rock chucker and the buggy in our group did it without issue. A JK 4 door tried and couldnt get up the first rock. I got coaxed into attempting it and made it up. Sweet! We then turned back around and headed off the trail. My wifes sister randomly came down for the day so after meeting up with her and her husband we ran the first part of hells revenge. I made it up the gate again which was cool and on our way out we ran into this convoy.

Any magazine readers recognize these rigs?

The city still isnt really that busy. our campground emptied out today in the morning so almost no one was here. Again we ran into practically no one on the trails which was surprising. When we got back to camp tonight it had filled back up so we will see how busy it gets this week.
small2_009.jpg

small2_010.jpg

small2_011.jpg

small2_012.jpg

small2_013.jpg

small2_014.jpg

small2_015.jpg

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty plain day today. I helped my friend in camp fix some busted leaf springs, then we ran long canyon. Once back in town I went shopping and then hit up potato salad hill. That was an "interesting" place to put it nicely. Ate at milts and just so happened the jeep guys were there too. Now just back at camp chilling. There are more people around but we haven't had to wait in lines at restaurants or anything so it hasn't been noticeable, well other than the fact I'm surrounded by sweet rigs, awesome companies, and famous people.

Oh and I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but its going around that Goodyear will not longer be making the MTR in anything larger than 35".
image-195463678.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Day 5

Woke up at 6 and got the jeep ready. Picked up all our safari swag at 7 then raced over to the off road evolution trail run. Kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. The trail was metal masher(again) which we ran with them, had lunch, and came back. Didnt do widow maker but saw some action on rock chucker. Got a bunch of free swag and they even gave away a free set of truck-lite headlights($600ish value). Got back to town and went mt biking which was awesome til the end when i blew out a tire and had to walk a few miles in the rapidly approaching night. It was pretty cold but i survived. Went into town and only had a 10 minute wait to have a table at Zax. I know theres alot of people here because i see the safari groups in the morning but so far the crowds havent been detremental to anything ive wanted to do. Trails havent been congested and ive been running ones for free only so far. We hung out at the jeep area and saw some new cool stuff so that was fun. Oh and on the Evo run fourwheeler magazine was there too so maybe ill make it into there We will see. Good news is its starting to warm up way nice down here so the next few days should be awesome. Cant wait!
image-3993107762.jpg   small4_003.jpg   small4_004.jpg   small4_005.jpg   small4_001.jpg  

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ran hells revenge today, did the gate and so did jeff. we got over by the hot tubs and jeff did a really steep climb. He made it to the top but the driveline then dropped out. It had twisted from all the torque so many times that it shortened it enough to pull it out of the t-case. Crazy! We moved him to the side in time for Verne from JP magazine to show up. We talked for a bit and then headed into town where Surprise!, we find out Moab does not have a single driveline shop. Interesting....Anyway we found a jeep garage that had an oddball driveline they cut down and welded jeffs ends from his driveline to. Didnt even balance it. We took that back out on the trail and ended up doing a night run of Hells. Got it put in and him off the trail around 11. Cool thing is the driveline has no vibes even at 70mph. Moab has a few more people but still not enough that i had any trouble parking or doing what i want. Getting much warmer.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Today was my first EJS run and we did elephant hill. It was pretty slow going for the first 1/3 of the trail because we had 25 people. After we took a lunch break the group split and it was way funner/faster at that point and i had a great time. There was a group of people from australia there running the trail with us and they were pretty cool. Im not sure why that trail is rated difficult and there is hype about it because its really not that hard. Worth doing once but i probably wont run it again. During the run jeffs idle pulley had a bearing go out. Of course it happens down there when we are an hour away from moab so guess who got to sit in the nice tow rig(with heat) and who got to drive their open top wrangler for an hour in the freezing night back to camp
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

left early today and ran poison spider up to the fork for golden spike. Ended up decided to try the spike instead of finishing the spider. Got to the crack where jeff snapped a drag link. There was a guy there with a cherokee that would start who just happened to have an entire curie draglink/tierod spare in his jeep that he sold to jeff way cheap. almost as soon as he sold it to us he reset the battery on his jeep and it started. Talk about perfect timing. we got it put in but it took some time. Even with us booking it out of the trail we missed the raffle by 15 mins Bummer....guess ill have to come back next year.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

today was big saturday and i was signed up for flat iron mesa. We had a drivers meeting where we met with the trail leader. He seemed like a pretty cranky old guy. It was way cool to be part of the big bang on saturday morning though. They shutdown all the highway traffic and all the jeeps start heading to their trails at once. Its a way cool thing to see and even cooler to be a part of. Once we got on the trail it was slow going again. We had some noobies in JK's behind us that apparently didnt know how to get it out of 4 low 1st gear. The run would have been better with less people but was still fun. its rated a 5 and they are trying to get it rated as a 7. For reference golden spike is rated a 7. For the record that trail does not need to be rated any higher. Its no where near as hard as golden spike. Easter egg hill was fun and intimidator was wayyyyyyy scary. The book tells you the trail is on the edge of a cliff but forgets to mention the trail is fairly washed out and you tip off camber towards the edge of the cliff. The run would have been much better if our trail leader wasnt such a cranky old bastard. He wouldnt let anyone spot but him, wouldnt let you try obstacles yourself first and forced you to use him as a spotter, and if you broke eye contact with him during the obstacle he would yell at you. Lots of people in the group were irritated with him but we made do. Next time i think ill do harder trails to see if having more built rigs means more experienced drivers/less time dinking around.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got up a bit later than we usually did, 9am, and packed up. Headed home around 11 and made it in under 3 hours without incident. Sucked leaving moab since i was just getting used to being there every day but im excited to move into my new house so its all good. Moab was pretty empty when i left so i guess the bulk of the crowds head out saturday night or early sunday morning. Discovered my truck gets the same mileage towing at 75 as 65 so i will be towing at higher speeds now
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Afterthoughts / Recap

This is definitely something everyone should do at least once and stay a week if possible. There was hardly anyone there until thursday-saturday and even then the most i waited for a table at a restaraunt was 10 mins. I had no problems parking and no issues with crowds. There were more vehicles around but it didnt make my life any more difficult and they were all offroad vehicles so it was actually pretty cool. As stated above the paid trail runs do go a little slower, at least the ones i did, but i only did paid runs for two days and ran whatever else trails i wanted on other days. There was practically no traffic on any of the non-paid trails i ran so the fact it was safari weekend was hardly noticeable.

I would suggest running an easier trail on the raffle day, or just making the entire day be your shopping/vendor day so you dont miss out like i did. Definitely plan in advance what trails you want to do what days and get in on as many of the non-paid but vendor sponsored runs you can as those were the ones i had the most fun on plus got lots of free stuff.

Overall it was an awesome experience!
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I like this thread, looking forward to the updates!
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Today I learned that toothpaste can freeze. I'm not sure I envy you any longer. Haha.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.