EASTER JEEP SAFARI: April 16th - 24th, 2011 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > EASTER JEEP SAFARI: April 16th - 24th, 2011

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
mbryson
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
The wife mentioned tonight that we should go to EJS this year. We'll be driving the TJ from St. Louis... just me the wife and the 2 year-old. So the plan is to just do mild trails.

I do have a couple of questions:
I can't put that many miles on beadlocked Swampers... So would it be feasable to run Yokahama Geolander ATS's (my street tires) on the mild trails? Or would it be worth toting a trailer for the TSLs?

We stayed at the Super8 a few years ago, just passin' through on a family vacation... I checked the prices for that weekend... $255 a night! WOW! Is there a better option for lodging/camping??? We would only be wheelin' a couple days, and exploring the National Parks the rest of the time. But showers would be nice. What other options are there? Is everything that expensive?
I don't see a lot of Geolanders down there, but a LOT of BFG ATs. Personally, I run Goodyear Kevlars. You'll likely be fine with the Yokahama unless you'd like to run harder trails.

Demand for lodging is amazing during EJS. $255 a night does surprise me, though. There are a number of campgrounds that I've stayed at over the years. There's something for everyone. For the size of town Moab is, they do fairly well hosting events of this size. However, this IS likely the biggest event the town hosts, so the town is pushed to capacity. Locals realize the economic impact of EJS and really do try to be as accommodating as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliparker View Post
I live in FL and Im looking to make a road trip to Moab Utah for the Jeep Safari next year. Im trying to find out if anyone has been apart of this trip with the Red Rock 4-Wheelers INC? From what my research shows this looks like great fun and a great group to go with! Any info or tips would be great. Thanks Guys!!
Honestly, your best bet is to register with RR4W and be on a guided trail. The guides are always experienced folks, and will do their best to get all of us off the trail in a timely, safe manner.

I've been going to Moab for the past 15 years or so and have been Jeeping for at least the past 12-13. I just became an associate member of RR4W last year (maybe the year before?) and registered for the event for the first time this past year. It was quite fun and not my "normal" wheeling experience, but good nonetheless. We usually do two-three trails per day. During EJS, there are so many people, one trail is plenty.

I'm a gunner on Poison Spider trail on Sunday if you'd like to join me. David Adams is the trail leader. We'll have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
you can run the geolanders on the mild trails. red rock has super grip, so you can air em down a bit and they should do fine. not sure on the pricing, we camped on the white rim trail and at the local camp ground in a primative spot, so it wasnt too bad.
I support the grip statement re: the air down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conifers4 View Post
The newspaper sent out by the Red Rock 4-Wheelers is fantastic btw. It's full of info about each trail, when it is run, ads for local shops, vendors, etc. It will really amp you up about attending.
Good stuff in that paper. Hope to see some of you out there. Tell me where you know me from if you see me.

This picture is from the first Sat. 2010 on the Hell's Revenge trail. Bart Jacobs is usually the trail leader there. He's chrome on top like me and a good guide. If you take that trail, ask him if you can buy his current Jeep (whatever that is ). He changes those like he changes his pants and is fun to harass about that. My Jeep is the cute silver one....

Unread 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
NW-XJ
1998 ZJ 

This will be my first year aswell.. I have a double tent site reserved at Slickrock CG..
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tires

speaking of tires, right now im running SS TSL. ???? I know they are for just mud.... should I be looking into a different set of tires???

Has anyone got there paperworking from RR4W yet?? I registered back in nov and have not seen any paperwork yet....
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
mbryson
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliparker View Post
speaking of tires, right now im running SS TSL. ???? I know they are for just mud.... should I be looking into a different set of tires???

Has anyone got there paperworking from RR4W yet?? I registered back in nov and have not seen any paperwork yet....
Your TSLs will be fine.

No paperwork at my house yet.
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryson View Post
Your TSLs will be fine.

No paperwork at my house yet.
Thanks!! I will keep my open for the paperwork
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

anyone in Texas got their paper yet?

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

no paperwork yet???!!! ok now I need help picking a camp ground... some many to choose from... looking for one with a shower and outhouse and is low key and ok for some beer drinking. Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Got mine on Friday! Sent it out today...

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One Step Closer to Moab

Now that the trailer is completed!! I can move on to the Jeep!!! Seeing the Jeep on the trailer really put some light on the drive. 2,307.1 miles from my driveway......
img_1123.jpg   img_1122.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
RAMBO1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliparker
Now that the trailer is completed!! I can move on to the Jeep!!! Seeing the Jeep on the trailer really put some light on the drive. 2,307.1 miles from my driveway......
What part of fla?, i few of us are also going to ejs. Make sure u have atleast two spares for the trailer!
RAMBO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #26
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO1 View Post
What part of fla?, i few of us are also going to ejs. Make sure u have atleast two spares for the trailer!
yeah I have them plus one!!! Im out of west palm beach I see you guys are out of Pembroke pines?? when you leaving?? we are heading that way on the night of April 15th round about.... Hoping to get there on Sunday late late sometime. If it works out let get together! Any of you guys know Mean Max (jeep forum profile name) by chance??
Unread 02-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #27
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

for anyone still looking, all you need to know is right here

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=36400
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you haven't got your lodging worked out yet, I'd make that a priority. It's getting pretty tight. Many RV parks have tent sites so you'd have access to hot showers and hopefully clean bathrooms.

RV sites are sold out for 4/21 and 4/22. If you go to www.rvparkreviews and then navigate to Utah and then to Moab, there's a pretty good listing of "civilized" campgrounds in Moab. There are also quite a few BLM campsites that are dry in the area. Those are first come, first served. The earlier in the week the better for those.

Grant
GrantLasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantLasson View Post
If you haven't got your lodging worked out yet, I'd make that a priority. It's getting pretty tight. Many RV parks have tent sites so you'd have access to hot showers and hopefully clean bathrooms.

RV sites are sold out for 4/21 and 4/22. If you go to www.rvparkreviews and then navigate to Utah and then to Moab, there's a pretty good listing of "civilized" campgrounds in Moab. There are also quite a few BLM campsites that are dry in the area. Those are first come, first served. The earlier in the week the better for those.

Grant

Can you recommend a good camp ground with showers and bathrooms??
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #30
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.archviewresort.com/ Quite a bit north of Moab. Great view of Arches NP. Close to many of the Jeep Safari trails. That will not help because they all start in town--8 miles away.

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/ The only RV/campground right in Moab. I've never stayed there.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...orsethief.html I stayed at Horse Thief CG last year. Beautiful view of the desert. Really beautiful. However, I got tired of the 30 mile trip into town. Dry camp--no water available.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/moab/ I haven't stayed here. Generally, KOAs are not well thought of amongs the RV crowd.

http://www.moab-utah.com/moabrim/ I haven't stayed here but I would consider it.

http://www.moabvalleyrv.com/ I like the looks of this one as I've driven by. No luck for me this time because they're sold out of RV sites; however, they may have tents or cabins available. This one's on the North side of town.

http://www.okrvpark.com/ This is where I'm going to be staying. It's just behind the Spanish Trail Arena which is the epicenter of the Jeep Safari. Simple park. Gets good reviews for cleanliness and hospitality.

http://www.portalrvresort.com/ Widely considered to be the class of Moab for RV's. I went by last time I was there. It's very nice. Sold out for RVs at this time; however, tent sites may be available. Subdivided into two parts--the best amenities are only available to those staying in the "owners" part of the park. The owner has a 4wheeling interest and I think there'll be alot of like-minded people there.

http://www.riversideoasis.com/ Newer park on the extreme north end of town. Very close to the entrance of Arches NP. Haven't stayed there before but it looks good as I've driven past.

http://www.packcreekcampground.com/ This one seems a little sketchy to me but it'll probably be one of the last to fill.

http://www.slickrockcampground.com/ I've stayed at the SlickRock CG many times because some friends of mine prefer it. I'd rate it as just OK. They tend to sell too many spots on holiday weekends and frankly the place is somewhat rundown. On the other hand, it has trees. A great rarity in Moab and very desirable later in the year.

http://www.spanishtrailrvpark.com/ I don't think this place has tent sites. RVers have thought it was somewhat inhospitable. I'd still consider staying there--most of the complaints seem to be from pet owners and I don't have pets.

There are a few other campgrounds around that don't ever seem to get mentioned or recognized in the reviews or web sites. The only advice I could offer for these is keep your eyes open and/or drive around town. In the past, there has been "dispersed camping" in Kane Creek Canyon. I've heard some rumblings that this was really getting cut back.

If you happen to be in a truck camper or otherwise self-contained, there are a lot of dispersed camping possibilities. These occur on BLM land. Some are very near Jeep Safari trailheads. For these, keep your eyes open as you drive from Green River to Moab. There are quite a few places just off the highway.

Good luck. Don't worry too much--you can always find someplace to camp. It may be dusty and have no water or toilets...

Grant
GrantLasson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.