Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Driving out to Moab in July/August

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rwjones4 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I am going to be driving from North Carolina out to Colorado around July 25 and will be around until about August 8. While I'm there I plan on making a trip or two out to Moab with my jeep and I was looking to hook up with some other people so that I'm not out wheeling alone.

Does anybody have a trip there already planned that I could potentially tag along? Or would anybody like to plan a trip? My jeep is fairly capable with front and rear lockers and on 35s so I'm looking to try some more challenging stuff. If anybody is available in this time window it would be great to link up with some local wheelers!

#3 ·
July/August in Moab is going to be as hot as the sun. It'll be dry heat but its still going to be brutal. There really is no reason to need a group setup during the summer months (in my opinion) if you stick to the popular trails. I was down last week and ran Hells Revenge and Fins. I went with a buddy but 2 minutes before we pulled onto the trail two rigs started and there was a few other guys behind us. It was kinda like golfing on a Saturday morning.

That said, it seems that people do ad hoc meet ups at the brewery (someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the location) in the morning before heading out as a way to get wheeling groups going.

As for me, I'll be up in the high mountains trying to stay cool and keep my skin white and delightsome. Colorado ought to be awesome though. I'm jealous as I have wanted to wheel Ouray for a while now.

#5 ·
I know it's gonna be hot but I'm not gonna be 3 hours away from Moab and not go because its hot out. Im used to 95 and high humidity out here anyways. I want at least one other rig with me as a rule of thumb. I dont like to wheel alone. I would prefer to be with some people that know their way around and are familiar with the obstacles. I still have to be able to drive my jeep 1600 miles home.

If I cant get anything formal arranged then I guess ill try the bum method and plan to be in Moab on a Saturday morning.

I definitely plan to hit plenty of trails while I'm in Colorado too. Ill be staying in Durango so Ouray is on the to do list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.