In a dilemma; What do guys think about wheel spacers? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > In a dilemma; What do guys think about wheel spacers?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Jeep II View Post
Sanctified, money well spent in my opinion. Your Jeep looks tough
Thanks man. It doesn't look as bad *** as yours but maybe by this time next year it will be a bit closer.

Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Mr-Talon
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Wheel spacers and wheel adapter are different. Spacers slide over the lug studs, most the time one needs longer lug nut studs also. Adapters bolt to the hub and will have additional studs. Wheel adapters are safety friendly, spacers are not.
UJC Member #146
Mr-Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at some write ups yesterday and saw this one on Spidertrax from Eddie. With the things I have read in the last week I am getting more comfortable with the idea. We'll see how things go but I may end up with some adapters for a bit. Its just more money though, right?

Mr-Talon- its always about the semantics right? I didn't realize they were named differently. I was just thinking there were real cheap ones (spacers) and better ones (adapters.)
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

While there are wheel spacers that just slide over your studs and lessen the amount of lugnut and stud thread contact, and are very dangerous so don't use them, there are also wheel spacers that bolt on like mine. A wheel adapter adapts your bolt pattern to a different wheel, hence the name. Example: 5x4.5 to 5x5 and such. If it stays the same, in mine case 8 lug to 8 lug, then it isn't adapting anything, its spacing and becomes technically illegal again.

But I still call them adapters at the safety check since they don't know the difference and pass me. Although some tire shops won't touch them because it's against their policy's to touch spacers since if they come loose they are worried about being sued(discount tire)
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I attached a picture of the bad kind of spacer.

Spidertrax has been making bolt on adapters/spacers forever. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the original, but regardless they are a top dog in the industry and you will notice on their page they too make the distinction between adapters and spacers on their page. Just in case anyone was thinking I'm making stuff up

http://www.spidertrax.com/products/1987-96-Wrangler-YJ
image-2924303784.jpg

Unread 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
Mr-Talon
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I was looking at some write ups yesterday and saw this one on Spidertrax from Eddie. With the things I have read in the last week I am getting more comfortable with the idea. We'll see how things go but I may end up with some adapters for a bit. Its just more money though, right?

Mr-Talon- its always about the semantics right? I didn't realize they were named differently. I was just thinking there were real cheap ones (spacers) and better ones (adapters.)
I was just letting you know so when safety time comes you don't have to scramble to take them off just to pass if you had the bolt on ones.
UJC Member #146
Mr-Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spacers won't fail you on inspections if they have studs in them they are legal. I will have some 5x4.5 spider track spacers I will sell for $50 for the pair in a few weeks if interested and a 2" spacer trail sport iirc also for $30 for the pair
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbandit View Post
Spacers won't fail you on inspections if they have studs in them they are legal. I will have some 5x4.5 spider track spacers I will sell for $50 for the pair in a few weeks if interested and a 2" spacer trail sport iirc also for $30 for the pair
Man you guys are going to make me work for this one Its really going to depend on who is doing the inspection. Here is a copy of the page from the Utah safety inspection manual. Note line 3 "Reject when: Spacers are used to increase the wheel track width"

Also note the very explicit statement that wheel adapters are not spacers and defines that adapters change(adapt) the bolt pattern.

Then notice the picture of the rejected spacers and notice a spacer with preinstalled studs(just like a spidertrax) is specifically shown as a rejection.

That right there is three strikes against you and honestly if i were an inspector i would reject based on the specific pictures. The only saving grace is the last statement that says a spacer uses a longer stud.

Like i said its honestly up to the person doing the inspection because it is shown as illegal specifically in a picture but an argument can be made for it not being illegal based on the wheel studs section.

And yes i have failed 2 years in a row at seperate shops for spacers instead of adapters. Not saying you cant squeak by, just providing information that you could potentially run into problems. The nice thing about spacers is you could always take them off before an inspection since your bolt pattern is the same.
wheel-20spacers.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It says spacer... Whereas they are built like an adaptor making them legal
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Either way, no inspector has ever said a word about mine no matter where I have taken it as they are constructed like an adaptor so they could care less.
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbandit View Post
Either way, no inspector has ever said a word about mine no matter where I have taken it as they are constructed like an adaptor so they could care less.
Yeah i agree thats most likely going to be the case for most people. Just pointing out the potential problem. Dont want someone coming back on here irate at us for saying spacers are perfectly legal.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah my spidertrax have their own bolts. Good to know they might pass... however they do push the tire out slightly past the fenders so might not pass for that. "Depends on who is doing the inspection" true enough. Sure makes it pain in the *** every year don't know if they are going to take out the tape measure and give it the full anal probe inspection or just run it through.
YJYNOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.