In a dilemma; What do guys think about wheel spacers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > In a dilemma; What do guys think about wheel spacers?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

In a dilemma; What do guys think about wheel spacers?

So my cute little JK has the 225/75 r16's on it. I have been thinking hard about picking up some take off Rubicon wheels and tires (255/75/17 BF MT's on 17x7.5 with 6" backspacing). Mainly because the price is right but also because I'd like to get some better looking tires on here. I've got a bit of cash but not enough to pick up a lift AND tires right off the bat. My understanding is that the Rubi's are the biggest tires you can run without some kind of a lift.

Bigger picture I'm looking at a TeraFlex 2.5" spring lift and probably 35's. I really dig the look of the '13 Rubi rims but the TF lift needs a rim with 4.5" backspacing. I know plenty of people run the spidertrack or whatever they are 1.5" spacers and don't have issues but I'm conflicted. The way I see it is that its one more thing to break or one more thing that is altered thats not an absolute requirement. That said, I don't personally know anyone who has ran them.

The other thing is that the Rubi rims have a max recommended size of 285/70 r17 which really isn't any bigger that what comes stock on them. On one hand I don't really want to buy pull off's to then replace them soon after because I am ready for bigger. On the other I don't have the $$$ for a lift AND tires to get it where I'd like it to be.

Are spacers the answer? Should I stop worrying about it and get the Rubi take off's now and upgrade the rubber when I'm ready or they wear out while making the wheels work? Give me some perspective please.

TIA

Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

My moto is do it right once. If I cant afford to do it right, I dont do it until I can do it right. In the end, it is cheaper and more satisfying to just do it right the first time.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly I didn't follow all of your post but as far as spacers go if you need them I say get them. I've run spidertrax 1.25 spacers for 2 years hard wheeling and they are now on my friends rig and he's not kind either. Zero issues.

I now run cheapo eBay 1.5 spacers on my rig. 5000lbs jeep, 1 ton running gear, zero issues. Spacers are completely safe and fine to use. They have advantages that rims don't give such as the ability to tuck your hubs in and keep them protected rather than sticking out.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
damndirtydog
2009 JK Wrangler 

I ran the RC 1.5 spacers for 2 years with out any issues when I lived in Florida. No such thing as hard wheeling there, but we did have a big terrain park in an old quarry with some nice obstacles.
I would definitely do the Spidertrax for the terrain out here.
damndirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you are wheeling harder than this then maybe worry about spacers, otherwise you will be fine. 5000+lbs rig, 1 ton axles, lots of wheelie action and hopping, no problem with the spacers. These are even the cheapo 1.5" spacers from eBay, and yes i drive on the road all the time too, no problems.

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
If you are wheeling harder than this then maybe worry about spacers, otherwise you will be fine. 5000+lbs rig, 1 ton axles, lots of wheelie action and hopping, no problem with the spacers. These are even the cheapo 1.5" spacers from eBay, and yes i drive on the road all the time too, no problems.

Flat Iron
That video was pretty sick. I don't think I'll ever have a rig that I would try that on, that was crazy.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think I figured out what I was trying to get over. I just didn't want to waste a ton of money by buying something now and wanting to change it up later. I looked at rigs with stock rubi tires/wheels and small lifts and didn't think they looked bad at all. There are some pretty good deals on take offs which are less than the retail cost for only the rubber. Getting the wheels in the package is just a bonus. I decided to go this route and am pretty happy. The '13 Rubi wheels are two tone, awesome, and totally changed how my Jeep looks. If I decide to lift down the line I can buy new rims and either mount the 255/75's on them or just run this setup until the rubber it toast and resell the rims. Because I got a good deal on the whole package I don't have to have heartburn over spending the cash now. I figure for 5 rims and tires retail price is at least $1700. (220 a tire, 100 a wheel) I paid $850.

I also read a pretty interesting thread about lifts. Made me rethink why I was going to do it right off the bat and put it behind drive train upgrades on the priority list. Next up for this guy? Lockers and gears.

"My thoughts on lifts."
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah that article is pretty spot on. Knowing what i know now i would put money into corner armor, and tube fenders first because they trim out all the excess in the wheelwells. Then i would see what tire would fit. My rig is running a spring over with 0" stock springs in the front and its still higher than most people like. I was actually talking to a friend about this the other day and the current LCOG(low center of gravity) fad of stuffing the biggest tires with the least lift. Theres nothing wrong with it and it will make you stable and all that, however, there are drawbacks too, namely you are forced to have monster axles to handle those big meaty tires. Having some lift that raises the frame up does help in rocks, snow, ditches, etc.. if your running a smaller tire size. I like 37's and dont want to go any bigger since my drivetrain is way beefier than is needed for 37s and i dont have to worry about breakage. Yeah i could stuff 42's under there no problem and gain 2.5" in lift but then im back in the "What if?" territory when i hammer down on the throttle. Sometimes a reasonable about of lift is the answer. I'd start with a 1" body lift first though despite what people say. It helps you be able to access areas easier, and it makes it so you can run a belly up skid plate later.

This is all pertaining to wrangler style jeeps though. Those cherokee/grand cherokee guys are just hosed. What is it....6" lift to fit 33s? haha J/K

In the end its going to come down to what you use the rig for, your wheeling style, and how much money you got.
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion on spacers is if you need them use them... However make sure you check them every oil change and use lock tight! Otherwise tires may be falling off the jeep as the lugs shear... Happened to me up AF canyon at the one car width cliff section. I tend to be hard on things but make it a routine maintence/check up. Spacing a wheel out from center of the wheel will cause added stress on parts (unit bearings significantly) but not a ton.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Before

After
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This is all pertaining to wrangler style jeeps though. Those cherokee/grand cherokee guys are just hosed. What is it....6" lift to fit 33s? haha J/K

In the end its going to come down to what you use the rig for, your wheeling style, and how much money you got.
Yup lol 6 lift, 33's, and trimming. Gotts cut like 6 inches off the fender to fit 35's. That's why I'm in the market for a TJ now!

And OP, sharp looking Jeep! looks much better now. Get those windows tinted and she'll be lookin mean!
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. The door windows have a little bit of tint on them but the rear glass hasn't any, I thought that was weird. I may get a bit on the back but I want to be able to see out of it while I'm wheeling.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I'm running 33's on 3.5" on my XJ , Derrik had 4" and 35's on his XJ also
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the moab tj rubicon wheels, run the spider trax 1.5, take them off for inspection once a year (thanks utah). 0 problems with them, without them rubs the sway bar arms on really tight turns, but not real bad. Running 35s.
YJYNOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
I Jeep II
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sanctified, money well spent in my opinion. Your Jeep looks tough

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.