Cut Out Flares on WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Cut Out Flares on WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone on here using cut out flares on their WJ or have experience with them? My wifes WJ is starting to rust/bubble up on the front part of the rear wheelwell. A body shop says the lip on the entire wheel well is shot and to fix it is 1500. I was wondering if a cut out style flare for a grand would cut that section out? I found one from bushwacker for 550 - http://www.quadratec.com/products/72506_7020_07.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium =compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=CLC7_K6k 8LMCFao7Mgod6z4AxA . Any other options or information for me?

Thanks

image-1885744226.jpg   image-4223794566.jpg   169421-add4-lg.jpg  
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

as far as I know.. there is only 3 options for you right now besides going to the body shop.
1 (the one I suggest) is get Bushwackers for it.
2 (cheapest) cut and fold them and just leave it. like clgielin and 801DubJay.
3 (what I am currently doing) buy Iceland offroad knock-off flares and put them on. (this option requires the most work). same flares as 85IrocZ-28 but made by a different company and no mounting bolts. Iceland is gone
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Who makes the knockoffs?
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know the company name. they are on eBay and made in Poland.
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

They are so much like the Iceland Flares, that I assume they ordered a pair and duplicated the mold.

The Bushwackers will not cut nearly the same amount of material out as the Iceland or Poland flares. However, they do require the removal of the section you mentioned.

IIRC, your wife's WJ is a fairly mild one. In this case, I would probably do the Cut/Fold method and avoid the cost of flares. If you do want an upgraded look though, the BW's look good and don't stick out as far as the fiberglass options. I personally really like the Iceland and Poland Flares, but I would only recommend them if you are adding a more aggressively offset wheel or modifying the rest of the Jeep to follow the feel of the bulkier flares.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
They are so much like the Iceland Flares, that I assume they ordered a pair and duplicated the mold.

The Bushwackers will not cut nearly the same amount of material out as the Iceland or Poland flares. However, they do require the removal of the section you mentioned.

IIRC, your wife's WJ is a fairly mild one. In this case, I would probably do the Cut/Fold method and avoid the cost of flares. If you do want an upgraded look though, the BW's look good and don't stick out as far as the fiberglass options. I personally really like the Iceland and Poland Flares, but I would only recommend them if you are adding a more aggressively offset wheel or modifying the rest of the Jeep to follow the feel of the bulkier flares.
Do those iceland knockoffs come primered? I couldnt tell from the ad. They are half the price of the bushwackers....may be the better option. Cut n Fold is ok but she loves the look of your white WJ so i think i may as well start building its clone
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the knockoffs will require some "modifying" which corbin can show/explain. You'll need to add the bolts and maybe some more fiberglass to get them strong like they should be. They stick out probably twice as far as the bushwacker flares. If i was going to keep a mild rig with maybe a BB and some bigger tires or something. I think the cut and fold or BW would look best.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

They should come with a gel coat, but I would prime and paint.

Even though I have the spray equipment (my father owned a body shop) I didn't go to that much trouble. I just used duplicolor, $7 per can from a local auto parts store. I primed, painted, and clear coated the flares/sliders/front bumper with that stuff. The paint matches very well. There was one spot on the gel coat of the fiberglass that needed to be repaired when I bought mine. I just filled it with some body filler, then primed and painted.

Corbin's flares look great, you would be happy with them. They are a lot of work, but the final product looks very smooth.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yeah for the work they require, I would go with the Bushwackers for a smaller WJ. the flares I got came with dents and chips in the gel coat and I have to repair them myself and also I added fiberglass to the inside for strength and adding bolts. there is a few pics in my build thread if you want to look
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh....now i dont know what to do. I dont know anything about working with fiberglass. I imagine for now my wife will want just want a 2" lift but shes not against building it up. I was thinking if i got the iceland knockoffs i could put spacers on it to make the stance look better, but would it still look odd? My main thing is if she wants her jeep to eventually look like wills then i dont really want to do flares twice. From building my jeep i learned the motto of do it right the first time so you only do it once.

Is fiberglass something i can pick up at a local store? How does it work?

Decisions decisions....
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the spacers would work but would still look a little funny with skinny tires. and if she wants here to look like Will's WJ.. just know that there is no knockoff front bumper to match the width of the flares.
as far as fiberglass goes, it's not hard to work and you can pick it up at most parts stores. but you will need a good mask as you don't want to breathe it in.
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Fiberglass work isn't bad, it is just STICKY. Buy a box of rubber gloves and agood quality breathing mask, and you will be good.

To work with fiberglass (add to the thickness of it), you should can buy fiberglass mat from auto parts or auto body stores. It just looks like a thin blanket, but it is made of fiberglass strands. The resin needs to be mixed with harder and then used. This is the sticky part you want gloves for. The breathing mask is to keep the fiberglass out of your lungs when you have to sand.

As for any repairs to the gel coat, just use a normal body filler and hardner.

Unread 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How do the fiberglass ones attach? Is it just tapping screws or do you go thru to the inside of the cab with bolts? Anyone know of other cut out flares besides bushwacker and iceland knockoffs?
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bolts go through the body with a nut on the back. I believe bushwackers are just self-tapping but im not sure. as of right now, these are the only 2 options that I am aware of. I have looked a lot since I needed flares to stay legal.. there are other front fenders out there but they dont make rears. and they are pricey.
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Man this sucks. I really need to decide on this. If i knew i would be building her jeep up with a nice 4-6" long arm lift, 33"+ tires, etc... within the next year then the Iceland type are a no brainer. What i do realistically see happening is a 2" buget boost, some sliders, possibly new rims, and maybe some used/new tires in the 31-33" range.

I feel like the bushwackers will work for the mean time but id hate to sell myself short. She is big about appearances and while it may seem fine to me to drive around with large iceland flares til i could afford to round the jeep out, i dont know if she would be happy with that.

Do the icelands remove more material which would mean i could fit larger tires with less lift? Or do you think its about the same? What tire can i fit with the 2" boost? Ideally id like to stuff 33's under the jeep. What do i need to do to make that happen?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.