Coolant Goblins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Coolant Goblins

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant Goblins

I was parked idling today outside my girlfriends house waiting to drive to layton for the superbowl party. While waiting my gauges beeped and I thought to myself, "I'm not low on gas" and saw the needle buried into the red on my temp gauge. OH CRAP! I gave the engine some gas and the needle SLOWLY came down to operating temperature.

I parked the jeep and took the car. When I got home I noticed the overflow bottle was empty, pulled the cap and the radiator was dry. It took a little over a gallon to fill it back up. I flushed and filled the system in august and have had zero problems with coolant consumption. There is no leaks in my garage, no leaks on my carpet, no coolant in the oil and no evidence of a blown head gasket.

So, where could this stuff be going???

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Do a compression test. I pray for you that all 6 are the same.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
kellerexpress
2008 JK Wrangler 

Climbed any steeps hills lately that could have caused some coolant to spill from the overflow? Whenever I climb something really steep in my Jk I notice a bit of coolant leaking from the reservoir.
kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure what the reservior is like in the JK, but the TJ has a really deep bottle where the coolant would struggle to work its way out.

I just got to work so I will let the engine cool down and then I will check the dip stick first and see if there is any sign of the coolant in the oil. Then I will go from there. From a power stand point, there is not noticeable difference that could indicate crappy compression. Definitely not enough to missfire.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

It doesn't take much of a blown head gasket (we're talking single digit thousandths of an inch) to overpressurize the cooling system and blow all the coolant out.

Had it happen before. It's rare, but it does happen. Especially if yours has the infamous 0331 head.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just checked the oil again in daylight, the oil is right on the money and has no visible signs of coolant. No smell and it doesnt feel like it when you rub it between your fingers. I had to add a couple dixie cups of water to the system I would assume it was just from the system burping itself on the drive in to work thismorning.

My only real concern is the potential damage that may have been done when it overheated. Everything seems absolutely normal though, so I may have gotten lucky.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The 4.0 can handle quite a bit of punishment without any trouble. Just ask my old XJ. I cooked that thing dry 5 times in a row. Even had to drive 3 miles on the freeway with it blowing steam and it still ran fine when I sold it.

So long as it doesn't have the 0331 head on it.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

It doesn't sound like you were overheating anywhere near long enough to do anything major. If that coolant burned off in your cylinders you probably have some f-ed up pistons...but it doesn't sound like that happened either. I think a compression test is definitely the next step. If that comes back ok, I'm stumped. I'd probably start checking hose tightness and see if maybe a leak develops under pressure. Maybe replace the cap.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the cap when I did the coolant flush. I am wondering if being winter may have something to do with it. I used to have the issues with the intake manifold leaking when the engine was really cold and then stopped when the engine warmed up. I snugged down the Intake manifold and it went away. Is there a possibility that this could be a similar problem where the coolant will seep into other parts of the engine and get burned off when the engine is cold?

I am only taking insane shots in the dark here because I am running out of options short of just driving it normally, checking the coolant and seeing what happens. Maybe this weekend I will get the chance to do my compression test.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would do a pressure test on your coolant system... That will tell you if there is a leak and if it's a small leak that only leaks while under pressure you'll be able to see/hear it.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On my YJ i had a small leak on the bottom of my thermostat housing. When it first started up a bit of coolant would leak out and onto the block for the first few minutes of driving. It was un-noticable for months since it would just burn off once the block got hot, and there would never be a pool under the jeep. I just kept adding fluid knowing the problem would get worse and then i would find out what it was. Eventually the leak got worse and i started to smell the antifreeze while driving so i was able to locate the leak. My guess is something similar is happening either at the thermostat, waterpump, or one of the hose fittings.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I loose coolant out of my reservoir while off-roading also... look at your water pump to see if it's weaping. My pump did so un-noticed because its such a small amount that it usually won't leave a puddle or anything. I finally noticed when it sounded like I got a rod knock one day from the bearing on the pump. best of luck!
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

also make sure you bleed the coolant system if adding a decent amount of coolant, an air bubble could cause a blockage in the system.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.