Check Engine Light code 0456....or please help me from burning my Jeep to the ground - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Check Engine Light code 0456....or please help me from burning my Jeep to the ground

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Angry Check Engine Light code 0456....or please help me from burning my Jeep to the ground

2006 LJ

So I have been trying to track down the source of code 0456 on my Jeep since forever to get it through emissions.

Took it to a shop and did a smoke test, replaced the throttle body gasket and both crankcase breather gaskets and angled plastic tubes on top of the valve cover where they found smoke leaking. Replaced the stupid gas cap. Cleared out the check engine light and drove forever

Emissions still says ODB and O2 sensor not ready.

Check engine light came on after about 300 miles.

I'm about ready to take it to the Stealership and get their diagnosis and hopefully see if it is something that I can repair myself. If it is the O2 sensors is this a pretty easy fix? I'm at the end of my rope here and really don't want to have to throw any more money at this than I have to.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or know of a better alternative than than taking it to the dealer.

Unread 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Perhaps this can help:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456

May need to find a shop with an OTC Genisys/Pegisys handheld code scanner or Chrysler DRB scanner to test all the solenoids in the system and monitor the pressure readings from the fuel tank pressure sensor/leak detection pump.

On that note, you haven't dropped the tank recently have you?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Havent messed with the tank.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
lbcrazy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat
Havent messed with the tank.
Have you check gas cap? Put Vaseline on the seal of the gas cap and see if that works
lbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh man!!! This is the worst code ever to end up with. Its not going to hurt anything... Well, it might hurt Al Gore and Hipsters, but that is a win win. Small leak is even worse because it can pick up on a pin hole sized leak. Did they smoke the fuel system? I believe your jeep has the charcoal canister back by the tank. I would take the cap off and fill the tank with smoke and see if you have any leaks there.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Broke down and took it to the dealership to get an official diagnosis on it. I need to drop the gas tank and replace some connections and hoses back there. I have the park ordered but I really don't have the mechanical confidence to tackle the project by myself and I am not paying the dealer almost $400 for the job.

Looking around for someone who can help me with the project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.