Cedar city anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Cedar city anyone?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cedar city anyone?

Considering going to a school in cedar city in January, would like to hear more about the place.

Ohiojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I love it here. lots of outdoor activities. Its a small town, but big enough you have most of the stores you need. Got any specific questions you want answered?
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious if its a fun city, bar scene, outdoor activities, cost of living, etc. nothing specific really, just wondering if its a good place to spend 18 plus months
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

My experience with cedar city is that its pretty quiet. There are tons of outdoor things to do including hiking, biking, and wheeling and there is a ski resort (Brian Head) not too far either. It is super close to several national parks (Zions, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase-Escalante) 2.5 hours to Vegas and 6.5 hours to Huntington Beach, CA. This is my opinion so it may not be totally accurate but I think that the further you go from Salt Lake City the more conservative the population gets. To me this means that most of the people that actually live in Cedar are pretty religious and conservative. There won't be a ton a of actual bars if any at all but the chain restaurants will serve alcohol because of this. It is a college town though so you will get that aspect in the city. If your looking to bar hop every weekend in Cedar I think you will be disappointed. St. George is an hour (ish) away and is bigger and will probably have more bars but still not a ton. A quick check showed the population is about 29,000 and SUU has about 8,500 students so that shows how big the school plays into the community. Were I a student would I go to SUU? Sure, I like the small town feel of cedar city while its not super small. If I remember right its a bit higher in elevation so in the Summer it stays about 10 degrees cooler than St. George (which hits 100+ all summer long). Its dry heat though so its not as bad as 100 degrees on the east coast.

I don't know what else to say man. I don't think it would be very expensive to live there, but thats only based on living in SLC. Housing might get you but food and stuff like that shouldn't be bad. I have some fond memories from Cedar City. One of my friends grandparents lived down there and we went to visit when I was like 12 for a week. We zipped all around and played in the creek and bought blow darts and fireworks and set them off in the park. Later on I went to Cedar every summer in High School for the Utah Summer Games. I also went there for summer scout camp to Navajo Lake near Cedar Breaks. (Look that up.) We played water polo and messed around in the parks and just relaxed. As a married adult we have been down for the Shakespeare Festival in the summer/fall. We hit the non shakespeare plays which are fun and is a nice close getaway from Salt Lake.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area and I'll do my best to try and answer them.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're into the theatre at all you'll love it. The Tony award winning Shakespearean Theater takes place there every year.
It's actually a lot of fun.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There are 2 decent bars. If you want to party it up cedar is not the best town. But again vegas is only 2hrs away.
I think the biggest down side of Cedar is the dating. Its hard to find a girl down here that isn't an uptight Mormon.(no offense to Mormons I am also one). It's probably like 1 out of every 10 girls is cool and not crazy religious.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reviews, cedar city sounds pretty awesome. I'm married so I'm not concerned with the dating scene. I'm huge into outdoors so that's a definite plus and I've never been around theater much but I love trying new things. Being that closeto Vegas is awesome, I love that city. What weather do you have I the winters, I'm from northeast ohio so it's zero degrees and a foot if snow most of the winter.
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

A few feet of snow and anywhere from teens to 30s average temperature.
Cedar is the last city before you cross into the south though. What I mean by that is for every mile you drive south of Cedar the temperature will go up 1°F.

(obviously that's not an exact science, and somewhere in Nevada the temperature stops rising.)
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yup winters are not too bad, definitely warmer than northern Ohio winters. And Like Justin Credible said, if you get tired of the cold a 50 min drive and you will be in 50-60 degree weather.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Ohiojeepguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze
yup winters are not too bad, definitely warmer than northern Ohio winters. And Like Justin Credible said, if you get tired of the cold a 50 min drive and you will be in 50-60 degree weather.
That would be nice. If I can get my heep together in time I hope to be out there by January

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.