Camping in Moab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Camping in Moab

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
COmtns
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Camping in Moab

I will be in Moab with my kids this weekend to run a few trails and do some camping. Any camp site recommendations?

FOR SALE: CHROME NERF BARS FROM 06 TJ UNLIMITED - $150 (plus shipping) OBO

[URL="http://www.leadthewaytravel.com"]http://www.leadthewaytravel.com [/URL]
COmtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Canyonlands Campground is newer, very clean and family oriented. Slick Rock Campground is old and dumpy and tends to attract the party crowd.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There is also some primative camping up above the fins if you're into roughing it.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

the koa is nice its right outside town and they have really nice showers

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
There is also some primitive camping up above the fins if you're into roughing it
Yeah I agree with RockWorm... I have always wanted to camp in one of those sites... they look awesome. I just never had a reason to since I live here lol. I cant tell you much about the in town campsites since I haven't stayed at any of those. What trails are you thinking of hitting COmtns? Me and my dad are planning on doing Kane Creek for the first time on Saturday.
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
Cliff333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
COmtns
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff333 View Post
What trails are you thinking of hitting COmtns? Me and my dad are planning on doing Kane Creek for the first time on Saturday.
We did Kane Creek last year and it was great. Couple of ledges that looked real iffy but we made it. Thinking of doing Rose Garden Hill and Top of the World on Saturday, then Poison Spider and Fins and Things on Sunday. Maybe Dome Plateau on the way out Monday morning.

We prefer the more primitive camping. RockWoRM, do you have a location "above the fins"? Do you mean above the Fins and Things trail?

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
XJohnnyC

Fins 'n Things goes back and forth across the main dirt road several times. There are campsites all along the trail, mostly on the right (south) side of the main dirt road.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
COmtns
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks. Should be a lot of fun.

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
We did Kane Creek last year and it was great. Couple of ledges that looked real iffy but we made it. Thinking of doing Rose Garden Hill and Top of the World on Saturday, then Poison Spider and Fins and Things on Sunday. Maybe Dome Plateau on the way out Monday morning.
Nice! I was thinking of doing Rose Garden last weekend but I didn't have anyone to go with and I didn't want to try it alone since I hear from locals that it can be pretty challenging. I have done Top Of The World before and its pretty tough but nothing crazy with a awesome view at the end. Are you planning on going up or down Rose Garden? I would consider joining you on Sat if you would like some company... its always nice to go with more than one person on stuff like that or if not I will stick to my original plan and hit Kane.
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmtns View Post
We prefer the more primitive camping. RockWoRM, do you have a location "above the fins"? Do you mean above the Fins and Things trail?
I was there a couple years ago, and I'm not that familiar with the road names... but the campgrounds I remember were just up the road and around little lions back. Maybe cliff33 would have better info.

Quote:
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
COmtns
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to tell you I've had to postpone the trip. My back went out I have no idea when we will be able to make it out there. I would have loved to go with you though.

Unread 10-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^
that's a bummer. been there, done that! had back surgery 2 years ago so I feel for ya.

Quote:
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am sorry to hear that man! Good luck with the back. If you are heading out this way someday in the future and want someone to wheel with give me a holler.
Unread 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
COmtns
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice and the invites. We will definitely be back out there someday and will let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.