Bully dog jeep programmer??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Bully dog jeep programmer???

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
MButeFan
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bully dog jeep programmer???

I am considering a programmer from bullydog for the jk...any one running one? Any suggestions?

MButeFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Programmers are pointless on Gas engines the only real benefit you get is the speedo calibration with oversized tires .
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Put your hard earned money into other mods that you will see noticeable improvements. Those tuners aren't worth it. My friend has the Edge tuner with the oversize throttle body from edge and cold air intake. It makes more noise and that's about the only noticeable difference. He was pissed.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check the JK Tech forum. Some of the tuners actually have a significant impact on the 3.8/auto combination, but it's mostly due to the effects on the shift points. I don't recall specifics on this one, though.

And yeah tuners can have a MASSIVE impact on gas engines...it all depends on the engine and what else has been done. I've got a buddy that picked up about 60 hp from a tune (obviously not a jeep).
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MButeFan View Post
I am considering a programmer from bullydog for the jk...any one running one? Any suggestions?
I have the super chips tuner. It made a noticeable difference on the 3.8. It adjust the power a little in the power tune that is very noticeable, but I am running the mileage tune now because I like the shift points better for the way I drive.

I am not familiar with the bully dog, but check out the jk section on jeep form and do a search. There is lots of info there.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Programmers are pointless on Gas engines the only real benefit you get is the speedo calibration with oversized tires .
I don't mean to be an @$$, and I type this with the utmost respect (I really am not trying to start a fight), but I don't think you have a JK, and I don't think you have driven every gas engine with and without a tuner.

I did buy a tuner for my 05 Rubicon. That was a complete waste of money. There are definitely vehicles that don't benefit much from a tuner, but you can't say, with a blanket statement, that all tuners a waste of money on a gasoline engine.

The OP has a 2011, so he has the 3.6L motor. If it were me, I would want the opinion of people that have the 3.6 and have tried a tuner on that motor.

My 2010 jk with the 3.8L has benefited greatly from a tuner. I get more power, better drivability, and it corrected my speedo and trans shift points. IMHO, if you have a modified JK with the 3.8L POS, a tuner is an absolute MUST. It won't add 60 HP, but it will certainly give more power and better drivability. Maybe it is just from adjusting the speedo and shift points, but I have definitely noticed a huge improvement from my tuned Jeep.

I know nothing of the 3.6L, and that is why the guys on the JK tech section will be most helpful.

End my rant...
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
MButeFan
2011 JK Wrangler 

The biggest issue I am having is the TRANS hunts horribly between 60-70 mph. I am running 35's with the stock 3:73 gearing.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was under the impression the 3.6 was new on 2013 engines not 2011.

Edit: 2012 according to google.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
ralph_801
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a Hypertech... not much of a difference. only real thing it does is like mentioned earlier... calibrate for bigger tires for speedo, kinda' nice that it will pull codes though
ralph_801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
kellerexpress
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the superchips tuner and it made noticeable power gains and improved my gas milage. By far though the best way to improve performance with the JK is to re-gear.
kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
lbcrazy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you have another vehicle the bully dog does many different makes and models if you don't like it for your jeep maybe you well like it in your other vehicle.
lbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I wish I had OBDII
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
MButeFan
2011 JK Wrangler 

The 3.6 is in a 2012....which I really wish I had, due to the fact that I have been dealing with that motor or a variation of it for the last 5-6 years. With the programming calibrated for 35's, does it limit the searching?
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Sometimes I wish I still had my '55 Willys. Talk about easy to work on. But also talk about temperamental...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
And yeah tuners can have a MASSIVE impact on gas engines...it all depends on the engine and what else has been done. I've got a buddy that picked up about 60 hp from a tune (obviously not a jeep).
I'm betting your friend has forced induction (turbo or supercharger). They see great improvements from a tune, as do deisels (also usually turbocharged), but for naturally aspirated gas engines you will be lucky to see a 5hp gain.
A tune can make other improvements though, like shift points, throttle response, etc..., which will make it seem like you've gained more.

All the little changes can add up to make a noticable difference though, so it really does depend on the person whether it's worth it or not.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.