JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Utah Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/)
-   -   Auto Hauler Trailer Input (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/auto-hauler-trailer-input-1568992/)

flnbar 08-30-2013 01:41 AM

Auto Hauler Trailer Input

Hi all,
I know I've been pretty quiet around these parts lately. But, that's only due to the fact that I'm deployed. I've been saving up a few bucks and I'm looking to purchase a trailer (amongst other things) for the jeep when I get back.

That being said, does anyone have any input on where to buy and what size, brand, etc? Tow rig is an '08 Tundra doubecab 4x4 5.7L. I'm trying to keep it under $2K. From the little research I've done, I'm thinking something around a 7'x16', dual axle, electric brake(s) (controller will be a tekonsha prodigy P3); does that sound about right? But I'm still a little unsure of what load capacity would best fit my needs. I know a used trailer is more in my price range, but I've seen a few new ones that may fall in that category as well.

Lastly, would a weight distribution hitch be worth the money for this type of setup??

team1k 08-30-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flnbar
Hi all,
I know I've been pretty quiet around these parts lately. But, that's only due to the fact that I'm deployed. I've been saving up a few bucks and I'm looking to purchase a trailer (amongst other things) for the jeep when I get back.

That being said, does anyone have any input on where to buy and what size, brand, etc? Tow rig is an '08 Tundra doubecab 4x4 5.7L. I'm trying to keep it under $2K. From the little research I've done, I'm thinking something around a 7'x16', dual axle, electric brake(s) (controller will be a tekonsha prodigy P3); does that sound about right? But I'm still a little unsure of what load capacity would best fit my needs. I know a used trailer is more in my price range, but I've seen a few new ones that may fall in that category as well.

Lastly, would a weight distribution hitch be worth the money for this type of setup??

How heavy a vehicle are you hauling? I had a deck over, 8X16, dual axle, with electric brakes on the rear axle, and the same controller your looking at. The load limit was 7000lbs. My jeep is 5000lbs and it pulled great. That's with a 05 f350 v10 though.

I'd say get dual axles for sure, at least one electric brake minimum, and get one that's 2 5/16 hitch ball cause they can hold more weight. I loved the deck over for getting it offroad for vehicle recovery, plus it is larger overall then a normal trailer, but it was more difficult to load the trailer. I'd probably get a regular trailer if I bought one again, ideally aluminum but that's big bucks. I'd say get a steel deck instead of wood as it will hold up better(more weight though).

I bought that trailer for 800 and sold it for 1300 so I'm sure you can find one in your range. Also I'd go with ratcheting binders, not the lever kind, if your doing chains/binders as your tie downs.

flnbar 08-30-2013 05:35 AM

I'll be towing my 98 tj 4cyl on 33x10.5s with no back seat and no plans for heavy armor. I'll keep a lookout for the hitch ball size, I didn't realize there was a difference. I would love to get an aluminum but those seem wayyy above my budget haha.

I've been looking in KSL and have found a few used trailers that seem to be a good fit. My one concern with buying private/used is the possibility of overpaying or worse, getting ripped off due to worn parts failing. Can anyone refer to a reputable sales company? I read some pretty bad reviews about wasatch trailer sales (Kaysville I think?), but they claim to have the largest trailer selection in the state.

As for tie downs, I saw Mac's custom tie downs video and I really like their setups, although they can be pretty pricey. With my experience with MILAIR pallets and tie downs, I try use cargo straps over chains if possible. Chains are always a pain in the rear to use.

team1k 08-30-2013 08:47 AM

I know there's a place in lehi by thanksgiving point called lone peak trailers i bought parts from who seemed good. May be worth checking out.

The main advantage to used I can see is you could get a steel deck where as new I'm assuming there's only wood available in your price range. Could be wrong though.

Personally I love chains and binders, but then again I also attach to the vehicle frame and not the axle. Debates for another day :)

I Jeep II 08-30-2013 11:03 AM

I have been thinking I want to sell my ATV trailer and get a car hauler so I can turn my TJ into a trailer queen (I can still put my ATV's on it) I have seen several very nice used trailers in the $1800.00 to $2200.00 on KSL....all steel frame and wood deck though. Wood does have an advantage when it's wet or cold out...metal decks get super slippery (unless you spray it with a liner spray) and wood does weigh less. But it's sure not as durable as steel.

flnbar 08-31-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team1k (Post 15853363)
I know there's a place in lehi by thanksgiving point called lone peak trailers i bought parts from who seemed good. May be worth checking out.

The main advantage to used I can see is you could get a steel deck where as new I'm assuming there's only wood available in your price range. Could be wrong though.

Personally I love chains and binders, but then again I also attach to the vehicle frame and not the axle. Debates for another day :)

Google results brought them up pretty easily. They don't look too bad either and have a Big Tex trailer that sits right about my price range. Thanks for the heads up!

haha, I can understand the chains vs straps debate. I suppose it's all personal preference. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Jeep II (Post 15853866)
I have been thinking I want to sell my ATV trailer and get a car hauler so I can turn my TJ into a trailer queen (I can still put my ATV's on it) I have seen several very nice used trailers in the $1800.00 to $2200.00 on KSL....all steel frame and wood deck though. Wood does have an advantage when it's wet or cold out...metal decks get super slippery (unless you spray it with a liner spray) and wood does weigh less. But it's sure not as durable as steel.

I can see clumsy self easily slipping and hurting myself on an all metal deck haha. I'll have to keep that in mind

flnbar 09-02-2013 05:07 AM

Just in case anyone else is looking, I found this info over on RME boards: Utah Trailer buying Advice-RME4x4.com

85IrocZ-28 09-02-2013 10:42 PM

Big Bubbas Trailers is in Ogden, you should also check those out as they are nearby.

flnbar 09-11-2013 03:50 AM

I saw them mentioned in the thread posted above. I'll definitely have to take a look. Thanks!

j_bydesign 09-11-2013 03:54 AM

First off... thank you for your service!

This is my hauler... The back half is a garage... Front a mini RV... But the base truck was under $3K

http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...ul-build-7096/

Not a trailer... But rather tow vehicle and trailer in one.... I roll an '04 TJ 4.0 on 35"

It has come in pretty handy for tailgating too...

flnbar 09-13-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_bydesign (Post 15896234)
First off... thank you for your service!

This is my hauler... The back half is a garage... Front a mini RV... But the base truck was under $3K

http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...ul-build-7096/

Not a trailer... But rather tow vehicle and trailer in one.... I roll an '04 TJ 4.0 on 35"

It has come in pretty handy for tailgating too...

Thanks! I was following your thread in the towing section for a bit. I really like the idea and love what you've done to it; very nice job! I wish I had the money, time, patience, room, and use for that type of vehicle. Unfortunately, I have too many hobbies haha.:cheers2:

The time now is 11:40 PM.