Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any good trails to wheel in vernal?

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  remmons 
#1 ·
My family is doing their annual camping trip this year. They are doing some nostalgic hosh posh . Lol I can only handle so much family time, if there are any good trails I can use as an escape that'd be awesome. Lmk thanks :)

#8 ·
Red mountain is kinda a difficult trail to find. However it is very unique lots of broken ledge and slick rock to play on. I have not ran the entire trail but I've been up from both directions and i like it. I would not recommend it in wet conditions as on the east section of the trail there is a particularly nasty off chamber slope that would be very greasy when wet. You could run it all in a relatively short amount of time and play around in the docks beach area as well. Here's some pics I've got of the area. I was exploring after work in the dark most of the time but here's what I've got. All posers, but that's all I've got. All pictures are within 20 miles or less from vernal.

Attachments

#13 ·
If any of you guys are up this way give me a shout. I live here and it is a great place to visit. Us locals call Red Mountain "Little Moab" as that it has many similarities to Moab. I love having this area in my back yard, front yard, etc.:D
Little Mountain up through Coalmine Basin (where I live) is a cool little trail too.
Clay Basin is also a nice scenic drive to do, I can get in to Browns Park form four or more different directions, although it's not hard core it is still a very scenic drive, especially when you come out of Clay Basin nearing sunset. I have been on many trails here, and I am still finding more trails.

#14 ·
Rem i live in roosevelt, dude i totally wanna come red mountain! Im running a YJ that i picked up stock and havent made a ton of head way on it yet though! Think ill be ok? Im locked up front with 3/4 shackles. Have some front tube fenders going on soon and some bigger rear fender flares so i wont rub..... Lift will be later this fall looks like......

#15 ·
No worries, my Lib doesn't have new tires.... or lockers yet. I regret selling my '88 YJ, it was a wheeling machine. I am not planning on running Red Mountain until sometime in the fall. I'm sure that if we went up the back side (north side) we can get through ok. We need to be modified to make it up the south side as that there are some gnarly boulders and a squeeze chute, and a nice side hill overlooking the ravine.:eek:

#22 ·
I've been doing some thinking on this, I also agree that there should be a run scheduled sometime soon as that fall is coming early this year. I have a friend with a built XJ who is wanting to run some trails too, but like me he is having a work-schedule conflict. Speaking of the weather, did you see the snow on top of Baldy a couple of weeks ago?

#26 ·
I hear ya. They are not acting like they usually do. I think that with this weird weather that we have been having this summer it has made them migrate to other areas. I'm not seeing them up in their usual spots this year. Of course not having the right tag doesn't help any either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.