Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AF Canyon on Sat Afternoon (May 19)

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  90lsturbo 
#1 ·
I'll probably be heading up sometime after 1.

I'm thinking Mineral Basin, just cause I haven't been up it in a couple years.

Anyone?

#3 ·
Rain check- sure, got all summer. Yeah I've had enough of 5 mile and little moab, since they are pretty much the closest and only options in the winter.

#5 ·
Yeah I was wondering that myself. I thought chances were good it would be doable, but that rain today, I'm sure it dumped snow up there in high elevation. I'll probably just give a try anyway.

#7 ·
I went up AF canyon yesterday. I only had time to go a little further than the Rock Garden on Mineral and just a little past the river crossing on Forest Lake. There was only some really small patches of snow on Mineral basin. Just a few on the side of the mountain.

I'm pretty sure you can make it up to the top on both of them.

#9 ·
Just got back, went up mineral basin just past the big rock obstacle and then up mary ellen. Everything seems to be open and mostly snow free.

#11 ·
Tom95YJ said:
Good to know, Did you happen to get any pics ?

Hopefully I'll have the XJ's new lift, Winch and Bumper, and new U joints in the stub shafts on within the next couple of weeks Once it's on I think Mineral Basin will be it's Testing Grounds.
Please remind me again in what all you're doing to your jeep. I keep forgetting its a new lift, bumper, winch and u joints.

#12 ·
A few pics including a moose crossing the road. Have a couple videos, I'll post later.

Also went up to Silverlake today, the trail that crosses the river is closed. :(

#14 ·
do you have coords or directions on how to get to the trail head? What sort of lift do you need for the trail? Is it all public land? I want to go see this place! Sorry I missed it but I had to shop for houses.

#15 ·
You can get a map from the ranger station where you pay your fee. Mineral Basin is the easiest to find. At Tibble Fork Res. At the end of the parking lot go strait on to the dirt road not following the paved road that goes left. If you don't leave this trail for about 4-5 miles it basically becomes Mineral Basin trail. Note to stay left when you see the sign to go right to Cascade Springs. I would guess this is a 3+ to 4. I've seen a stock cherokee do it before, but I'm sure he scrapped more than once. I think it's a really good starter rock crawler trail.

Mary Ellen Gulch is probably a 2-3. Driver with experience could do it in a stock to near stock vehicle. Main challenge is it's narrow so passing others can be down right scary. It's a tough one to find though on your own. The trail head looks like a campground.

I'm sure me or someone else will be doing it again this summer, just watch the forum and come along. Makes life easier when you go with someone who has been before.

#19 ·
That particular spot your referencing is just on the side of Mineral Basin Trail... I think you could camp there, I believe there is even a fire pit. All the pay ones are at lower elevation. There are tons of great spots up there though. If you going on a weekend I would recommend you leave work early on a Friday, it gets pretty busy. Also the further up the trail you go the less people there are.

#20 ·
there is lot to explore in af canyon especially the hard technical ****, i ran it in my grand with only a 4" and 33's and it handled fine the few trips i took it there sadly its demise was up that canyon the last time lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.