Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2017 /F12 Moab Trip Thread

5K views 65 replies 13 participants last post by  MIKE_T 
#1 ·
It's time to start planning the next one! @AZdEvilYJ needs some dates ASAP so he can put in for time off. May is a good month, it is warm by then but not too hot. I am thinking the 3rd weekend sounds good as it lands between Mother's Day and Memorial Day but the California fellas are planning their trip at the end of April into the first week of may. I am fairly flexible.

#2 ·
Reactions: Randonexplosion
#7 ·
So...

After I posted this here, we found a little glitch in the security of our forum. It turns out that guests could sign up for the trip, without ever registering. Well that has been remedied. If someone here signed up, you have been eliminated from the sign up sheet. If you really want to go with us, registration is free, and there are no dues whatsoever. Any member can sign up and post if they want to.

Sorry for the hijack Randon.:cheers2:

#3 ·
Like always set a date and I will try and make it. This year will be tough I've got a few things coming up I can't miss, plus been having some troubles with my knee when I sit in a car for long periods of time ( 14 hr drive from MT to moab) my leg goes numb from the knee down, docs are still trying to figure it out. Pinched nerve in my knee and surgery may make it worse. So until I know what's going on I can't commit to anything.

#4 ·
For now it sounds like we are planning April/May.

Like usual we will probably get a vacation rental. It worked out pretty well last time doing a 3 bedroom.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
For now it sounds like we are planning April/May.

Like usual we will probably get a vacation rental. It worked out pretty well last time doing a 3 bedroom.

My offroad club will be up there April 1-9

#10 ·
@Mr.B oh, well that sucks. Would be cool if you could make it.

Reactions: Mr.B
#14 ·
So is there a definitive date set yet? And if so, did you reserve your rental?

#15 ·
@Mr.B It is looking like April 27th-30th for me. I think everyone has been planning on the last weekend in April. There hasn't been a lot of feedback in this thread though.

Edit: No I haven't reserved my rental. I will probably look at doing that here soon, I just wanted to make sure we had it nailed down.

#16 ·
It sounds like its time to start making some noise.:wolverine:

#17 ·
well it looks like that is a work weekend for me. The weekend before or after would be better. I'm going to see what I have as far as vacation time. But I should be able to make it. This year lets lock down a place that everyone is staying. I would like to have the entire group together if that's possible.

So the Norcal group that's going, what are your plans on lodging? if someone is getting a rental we should probably get the info and find out if its been locked in.

We stayed at kens lake and that was a pretty sight. but there are also some other campgrounds with showers and what not.

#18 ·
The Norcaljeepers always stay at Kens Lake. They've already reserved the group site. And right now, there are more going than can fit in that site. So there will be some spill over into the first come sites. There is another group site. But it is set up with a horse pen, so I don't know how great that would be. And I don't know if its been reserved or not.

Reactions: Leadmine
#19 ·
Good to know. In the past, it's been tough getting going because people were spread out throughout moab. But I will for sure be at Ken's lake if that's where the majority will be.

#23 ·
@tecksjeep @jmart2119 I asked for input when I started the thread and nobody chimed in. @AZdEvilYJ needed a date ASAP to put in for the time off. Sorry guys.

#26 ·
My time off pretty much revolves around the weekend. @RockWoRM I didn't realize that you guys would be rolling in/ out over the weekends and wheeling throughout the week.
@jmart2119 We can try to push it to the next weekend so that maybe we can catch the NorCal guys for a day or 2.
@AZdEvilYJ can you guys try to change your time off request or is it set in stone?

#28 ·
My time off pretty much revolves around the weekend. @RockWoRM I didn't realize that you guys would be rolling in/ out over the weekends and wheeling throughout the week.

@jmart2119 We can try to push it to the next weekend so that maybe we can catch the NorCal guys for a day or 2.

@AZdEvilYJ can you guys try to change your time off request or is it set in stone?
Yeah can we roll it to the first weekend in may?

#27 ·
Yeah, most of us split the drive into 2 days. Sat/Sun. Some do Fri/Sat. Although it can be done in a very long day (14-15hrs), it's pretty tiring.

#29 ·
I hope we can catch each other for a day or 2 but if you guys would be leaving Moab on a Friday then maybe not.

Yeah can we roll it to the first weekend in may?
A lot of that depends on @AZdEvilYJ

#35 ·
I just talked to Greg and it sounds like it's a go. We need to decide exactly when we will arrive but it will be at least Thursday the 4th. Maybe Wednesday the 3rd.

Depending on the rest of my group, we may camp for the first night or so then meet up at our rental.

#36 ·
I just talked to Greg and it sounds like it's a go. We need to decide exactly when we will arrive but it will be at least Thursday the 4th. Maybe Wednesday the 3rd.

Depending on the rest of my group, we may camp for the first night or so then meet up at out rental.

Okay cool, I will probably be there the 4th around noon ish

#37 ·
Randonexplosion said:
I just talked to Greg and it sounds like it's a go. We need to decide exactly when we will arrive but it will be at least Thursday the 4th. Maybe Wednesday the 3rd. Depending on the rest of my group, we may camp for the first night or so then meet up at our rental. Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
:duhrock:

#38 ·
Any input on trails? You California guys have anything planned yet?

#39 ·
I forgot about this thread.

Current plan is to leave the house on the 29th staying the night on the way and getting to Ken's Lake by mid afternoon the 30th. Dirtkar and I are caravaning out there. I reserved the group site there for the 30th to the 7th. I will be staying longer as will a couple of other guys but the majority of our group will be leaving by the 7th.

As for trails, I don't know that we've discussed it too much yet. Seems we always run the standards, Poison Spyder (and the others there Golden Spike or whatever it is), we usually do an easy day at Klondike Bluffs and come in the backside of Arches as a scenic day, Hells Revenge and Fins and Things. Most of us are pretty open to whatever. We did Elephant Hill a couple years back, that was a nice day but seemed like a really long drive. I don't know that anyone in our group has ever gone to Area BFE or out to Pritchett.

#40 ·
I'm pretty open on trails too. I have done the usual ones multiple times as well. I hear there is a really fun "playground" in Area BFE and I've wanted to give a couple of their easier trails a try.

#42 ·
Aside from the usual's... PS/GS/GBR, Hells Revenge, Fins/n/things... we have bantered around Moab rim, Cliffhanger, Steel bender, Metal masher. For me... it's hard to squeeze in 'the best' in just 5 days. :(

But... I have been to area BFE once as a co-pilot...many moons ago. It's very technical I thought. Since it has been so long... I wasn't aware they had 'moderate or easy trails? But it is there for those who want to get the most challenge out of their rigs.

But trails aside, perhaps we should at least try to set up a meet and greet since our dates seem to be overlapping a bit. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday evening?? :)

#43 ·
I think you should promote this thread more on F/12. You're not getting much interest just leaving it here.

#44 ·
@Mr.B I had been instructed in the past to post it here. I have the link in my signature but I guess I could make a post in Non-tech.
@RockWoRM Area BFE is definitely technical. There are a couple of short trails that I have found while running Strike Ravine that seem manageable on 35s. One of them was called Green Day but I can't remember the others

#62 ·
@Mr.B I had been instructed in the past to post it here. I have the link in my signature but I guess I could make a post in Non-tech.
If you'd like to start a thread in YJ Tech - I'm cool with that. Perhaps a link to this thread as well so folks can read some history.

Or....I can perform a Copy Thread & place it in YJ Tech. OP's call.

I'd make it a sticky.

#45 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. Chat is about the only place you can promote it. The trouble with that thread is that it's so big. I assume most guys do what I do, read the newest posts and never look back. I would do like boduke does with YJOTM. Maybe not so often though.:shhh:

#47 ·
#49 ·
We can swap cell numbers and what not prior to the trip, but I don't know if anyone gets very good service where we'll be at Ken's Lake. I think Randy has the right idea with setting a meet and greet kinda deal somewhere soon after you guys get there.

As for thread promotion, we could always post a bunch of non tech BS in the tech section that doesn't ever seem to dissuade others.... :shhh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.