"Zombies" in Nevada! What Now? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > "Zombies" in Nevada! What Now?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"Zombies" in Nevada! What Now?

There has been much talk about what one would, could, or should do if there were to be a zombie attack. In reality, it wont be hollywood zombies attacking, but rather people in hordes rioting and looting for whatever reason. It will likely stem from either a natural or man-made disaster. There are countless videos circulating the web showing what happens when the government releases X number of food or housing assistance vouchers for 1000X people.
What problems would we have to overcome to survive a statewide riot?
Where would we actually be able to go to successfully endure social unrest?
What gear/items would be most useful/needed to ensure the safety of you and your family?
What scenarios do you envision actually being plausible that would require a zombie-like response? All things to think about...
What could we do if we experienced another major power failure like in 1998? one that lasted for weeks rather than just 12-24hrs? I remember grocery stores selling off the cooked chicken and frozen foods for pennies on the dollar, just to keep it from spoiling.
Imagine a complete government shutdown for months, not weeks. What would the unemployed, those on welfare, and the otherwise impoverished do if they had no assistance for months? Imagine the level of civil unrest when thousands of people are starving and/or have no shelter.
Granted, these are extremely unlikely scenarios, but still worth thinking about at the very least, and possibly even planning for.
Thoughts? Other than me being paranoid or a conspiracy theorist....

Unread 11-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

One thing I have though much about is what vehicle to take and where to go. The Jeep can get to just about anywhere...within 200 miles TOPS! the truck is quite a bit less capable, but has a 300-400 mile range with a lot more cargo room for food, supplies, and defensive equipment. Assuming a widespread power outage, gas pumps will not work, and siphoning fuel takes time and talent. Rupturing fuel tanks to extract fuel is messy, wasteful, and dangerous. Is it more wise to stay at your home and fortify to wait out the issue? At what point do you decide to flee? When/if you decide to flee, you have to realize that you're abandoning everything! not just your home and possessions, but your job(source of income,) and friends/family(people with possibly useful skill sets like medical, mechanical, foraging, etc.) You're also leaving an intimately familiar place in exchange for a not so familiar place, with infinitely variably changing threats, challenges, and unknowns. Depending on the length of the disastrous event, food, water, shelter, security, and health all become critical issues to solve. What happens if you seriously cut your finger or hand while using your knife for something? Can you suture a cut with sterility? Can you guarantee that you can mitigate the bleeding? Prevent infection? Do you keep the required supplies in your vehicle or disaster kit? What do you do about getting food once you run out of ammo? If you are fleeing, chances are, a person on foot can keep up with and catch you if you are on any kind of technical off road trail. How do you deal with slow speeds while retreating from a large group of people who are intent on taking your supplies?
It may seem far fetched, but think about it...
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Something else to think about...What do you take with you if you have to leave your house for two weeks? if you live in an apartment, and a neighbor burns down the unit or the upstairs unit floods and you're forced to leave during repairs. What do you put in your "go bag?" Think about what you need. What documents would you need to keep safe if you lost your wallet in your home? Birth certificate, SS card, a copy of your mortgage statement, proof of employment, etc. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, fingernail clippers, bandages, feminine products(for greg and andy!)
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Thoughts? Other than me being paranoid or a conspiracy theorist.
My thought is I can now add this to your list of things you're paranoid about...

Quote:
One thing I have though much about is what vehicle to take and where to go. The Jeep can get to just about anywhere...within 200 miles TOPS!
Sucks to be you... Exploder's rule!!!

Quote:
Assuming a widespread power outage, gas pumps will not work, and siphoning fuel takes time and talent. Rupturing fuel tanks to extract fuel is messy, wasteful, and dangerous.
Why would I do that? If you had any clue how much gas is typically on hand at my house and how much gas storage capability I have you'd... Well you'd... You'd... well...

Quote:
If you are fleeing, chances are, a person on foot can keep up with and catch you if you are on any kind of technical off road trail. How do you deal with slow speeds while retreating from a large group of people who are intent on taking your supplies?
Sounds like a jeep thing, I wouldn't understand. (oh yeah!!! Got you on that one!!! ) (and why would you be on any trail that required 4lo????)

Quote:
You're also leaving an intimately familiar place in exchange for a not so familiar place, with infinitely variably changing threats, challenges, and unknowns. Depending on the length of the disastrous event, food, water, shelter, security, and health all become critical issues to solve.
I don't know about you but I've got a fully gated enclosed property which is a step up from most and I've got 2 different locations accessible via dirt that are remote, typically have 1000-3000 gallons of water in tanks and decent supplies and I've got keys to both and know people I can trust and rely on would be at both locations.

Funny part is, when I make a run for it, the dirt bike will be on the back bumper too!!! I'm taking two vehicles, not just one! LOL

Paranoia out!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, you keep a list of things I'm paranoid about?! Wow!
What kind of range would you get in the sploder? With it loaded heavy with all your stuff, it won't go nearly as fast, nor nearly as far. Just things to think about. Do you have all of your documents in a secure location in the event of a welding fire gone out of hand with all the stockpiled fuel?
It may be paranoia to think about preparing for disasters, but it's just plain negligent to ignore the possibility of an occurrence and try to "wing it" afterward.
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First priority is physical security. That requires firearms, plenty of ammo and enough range time to be proficient and comfortable with them. That would be the minimum for security. There are plenty of nice to have items from flashlights, night vision, comms, etc. Since you gotta sleep some time, you better have others with you that help.

Second, you need to be someplace defensible. The greatest threat to that is fire. Any yahoo with a match can burn a house down so you better have someplace in mind that isn't a tinderbox just waiting for a light. Next is plenty of food and water or a means to obtain both. If you're gonna shelter in place then sit on a stockpile of food and water in your fireproof castle and use the invading horde for target practice.

If you're on the move, then you can only carry so much and you will quickly exhaust your supplies, especially with the increased physical activity and the calories required to support that activity. If that is the case then you better be somewhere you can hunt and gather with little or no competition from others unless you want to share.

With that come the ability to move. Vehicles are limited by fuel, both capacity and availability. Without a reliable source many will be on foot some on horseback. The longer things are in the toilet, the harder it gets to be mobile so get to where you are going and get there quickly.

Bottom line is a little planning goes a long way since most will be completely unprepared. The only thing they can do is take what you have which leaves you with nothing or worse.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
sirhk100

Quote:
Wait, you keep a list of things I'm paranoid about?! Wow!
What kind of range would you get in the sploder? With it loaded heavy with all your stuff, it won't go nearly as fast, nor nearly as far. Just things to think about. Do you have all of your documents in a secure location in the event of a welding fire gone out of hand with all the stockpiled fuel?
It may be paranoia to think about preparing for disasters, but it's just plain negligent to ignore the possibility of an occurrence and try to "wing it" afterward.
Yes, cause they're so funny, I'll give you the short list... It starts and ends with "walking out your front door in general" from the sounds of it. Or it could be "life". If you want the long list I can give you that but short seemed easier. I know people don't like reading more then like 10 words these days...

Easily 300 miles on my 18 gallon tank and it would take less then an hour to add another 32 gallons to the capacity of my exploder and I have more then that around my house on any typical day not counting what's in my explorer. (and yes, that extra 200lbs of gas won't hurt the expo, it's not a jeep!)

Having your important documents in one secure loction I thought was just common sense? Kinda like not being up to your elbows in debt! So in other words, I'm probably one of the few that have that. I listened to my mommy growing up... Too bad more people don't have common sense, you might not have the paranoia you do cause the worry wouldn't be there...

And again, I don't drive a jeep, I know how crappy those rear springs are and how little they can haul. You know that thing called leverage right? It's a physics thing??? Toss a 300lb weight about 3 feet off the rear of your rear bumper and let me know how your jeep does, My exploder doesn't care, and on top of that I load the rear to the hilt and it still does just fine. Something about REALLY expensive shocks and high end custom leafs make that work... It's an explorer thing, you wouldn't understand! LOL

Honestly, when the SHTF... I'm likely f'd... But again, I know I'm a minority when I say it's been a good haul and if things collapse, life ends, I'm homeless tomorrow. So be it... I'm gonna have a hell of a good time right up till then! I won't waste the last bullet on a zombie though, I can tell you that much and I don't believe in heaven or hell, I believe in "the end"...

Unread 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have all of my documents in one place. Sitting on the bottom shelf of the gun safe. If the fecal matter hits the rotating device, I am in the car and not the Jeep. Diesel will be easier to find and I can travel a hell of a lot farther. Let's be honest though. Short of natural disasters, you are typically much better off bugging in than out. Even if you did have to bug out, how far would you have to go before life was normal again? Think about this logically, when was the last time there was a global cataclysmic event? How about nation wide? State wide? If it really came down to a global event, you'll find me sitting on my roof with a beer and cigar. Front row seats and no regrets.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll just make my way back to TX before the big wall goes up to keep out the rest of this crazy country
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
I have all of my documents in one place. Sitting on the bottom shelf of the gun safe. If the fecal matter hits the rotating device, I am in the car and not the Jeep. Diesel will be easier to find and I can travel a hell of a lot farther. Let's be honest though. Short of natural disasters, you are typically much better off bugging in than out. Even if you did have to bug out, how far would you have to go before life was normal again? Think about this logically, when was the last time there was a global cataclysmic event? How about nation wide? State wide? If it really came down to a global event, you'll find me sitting on my roof with a beer and cigar. Front row seats and no regrets.
wait wait wait wait, what?

So if SHTF in a non disaster way, like social collapse, or something like that, you think you'd be better off staying in a house made of paper, in a city of 2,000,000 people?

LOLOLOLOL. Right.

I'd say a disaster is the ONLY time you'd bug in in Vegas. a disaster entails the world hasnt fallen apart and things will be repaired eventually. People may loot or run out of food, but it wont be nearly as bad as if there was literally no law or anything for the foreseeable future.

If there's an earthquake or something and our connection is cut off from the valley, it wouldnt take THAT long before "help" arrived.

If it was free forall, you'd be surrounded by 2,000,000 hungry angry people.

I always think of it this way, look at black friday. People have been shot outside stores, people get trampled and pepper sprayed and injured, for what. For the CHANCE to SAVE A LITTLE MONEY on an item that is a LUXURY.

what the hell do you think will happen when those people are starving?

**** bugging in man, lol.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Too bad more people don't have common sense, you might not have the paranoia you do cause the worry wouldn't be there...
BTW, just so this isn't taken wrong, I'm talking about all of society as a whole with this comment, not any one person in particular on the common sense part...

Unread 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
BTW, just so this isn't taken wrong, I'm talking about all of society as a whole with this comment, not any one person in particular on the common sense part...
Oh, I was worried Puck was going to get upset there for a second.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

One of the things I have been thinking about is at what point do you decide it's time to bug out? If it were to ever happen, a societal collapse will be a gradual process over years. At what point do you abandon your job and go? If you go too soon, you're out of a job, and things may go back to normal. If you go too late, you can't get away safely.
Marn, you're absolutely right about what people do to save a few dollars. When people are truly desperate, they may as well be zombies because they are hard focused on getting what they want at any cost to others! Just as we wouldn't hesitate for even a moment to protect our families, they will do the same with the same determination.
Unread 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Another thing, if you're going to bug in, and there's rioting and civil unrest, throw all of your old clothes and crappy electronics and appliances on your front yard as if it has already been ransacked by thieves to give the illusion that there's nothing of value left.
Unread 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Oh, I was worried Puck was going to get upset there for a second.
Actually I was worried Power might and I wanted to make sure he knew I wasn't talking about his common sense affecting society but everyone's as a whole...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.