Wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Wont start

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wont start

So, i didnt want to keep bogging down the wheeling thread with my mechanical issues.
Heres a vid of it trying to start up. All ive done thus far is, clean up the starter, distr and coil areas of left over radiator fluid.

Just a recap, a heater hose blew up on the freeway, the wife pulled over as soon as she heard the noise and saw the temp gauge jump. I fixed the hose on the side of the freeway after I got home from work, but it never started back of. Just this lethargic wining noise.
Before this video was taken, it actually did fire all the way up normally and ran for about 2-3 seconds before shutting off. Then every attempted start up after that, it went back to trying to start as seen in the video.

Unread 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
vwfoolwhy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Pull your Plugs and see what they look like. It's a good possibility you have a cracked head and coolant is going into the combustion chamber.

But that's getting ahead of things.

check to make sure it's getting . spark and fuel first.
vwfoolwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

suck squeeze bang blow. pretty simple order of things that happen to make an engine run, as said, check for spark and fuel.

I mentioned you should check your oil for coolant, you could have blown the head gasket, that is fairly common with overheating.

It sounds like it's not firing though, the engine isnt even trying to run. Maybe something got toasted when the heat went up, and the coolant went all over?

Also, go post this in XJ Tech, they will be a lot more helpful than over here.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

its in XJ tech too. just using all resources Oils clean.. no coolant.
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I did an ignition test and fuel test. Theres plenty of fuel pressure at the rail, and it is sparking, but Im not sure how strong the spark is. All its doing is soaking the plugs from trying to crank it so much. I had a few people suggest the Crankshaft positioning sensor, so I replace that too... but still no dice. Not really too sure where to go from here. To me it seems like something isnt quite right in the ignition department.
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Look at your fuses under your hood. I went through 1 puddle today and it died. Turned out to be a tiny 20A fuse that blew when it hit water. My engine would just crank also.
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

pulled every fuse. Theyre all good.

Im replacing the ignition system tomorrow to see if that helps. New coil went in tonight, tomorrow ill put in the dist cap, wires and new plugs. Fingers crossed but im not holding my breath.
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

replaced the ignition system... ran for like 5 seconds then started dumping white smoke out the exhaust. FML, not in the mood to do a head gasket.
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Head gasket is really not that bad to do. Especially with one head. I bet If you pull the valve cover off and let it warm up you'll see the coolant/oil mix coming from a crack in the head between cylinders 3-4. It is a super common failure on tha 0331 head castings on 2000-01 4.0. If you need any help just ask. and BTW you will need a special deep well socket I think 1/2 12 point socket to get the headbolt at the back off.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Just so you don't do what i did when you order a replacement head don't get another 0331 casting. I can't recall what casting I replaced mine with but it was definitley a better head and i got a whole lot more power out of it. I pulled out of the post office right after replacing it and hammered down on the the throttle and smoked the tires. It is very peppy.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

definately sounds like head and/or gasket. white smoke is classic sign of coolant being burned in cylinder. bite the bullet and get the stuff. you can have the head checked at any decent machine shop for cracks. i have had good luck at jacks machine shop on mojave. like stated earlier, if you need help with the job, just ask, we can get you rolling quick. its not that big of a project, just sounds like it. you have to be careful to torque the bolts in the correct order and tightness. also dont scratch the new gasket when laying head on it. i would be willing to give you a hand with it, if you would be willing to join me on some trails that i dont want to run alone.
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.