Who had the speedo gear issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Who had the speedo gear issue?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Vegas 4x4
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Who had the speedo gear issue?

Did you resolve it? I just found this. Kinda hard to see in the pic, but the gear is grooved where is seats against the housing, and the little circles are melted gear material that I scraped off the tip of the housing.

speedo-gear.jpg  
Vegas 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Larry,

I believe it was Powrjunky

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Vegas 4x4
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Larry,

I believe it was Powrjunky
Thanks, I hope he sees this thread. I just discovered this one was clocked incorrectly, so perhaps his is too. I'm surprised this one worked
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm fairly certain I'm getting it clocked/indexed correctly. The tooth range of the gear on the housing is to be pointed at the 5 o'clock position, correct? I'll quintuple check it again tomorrow morning before work.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Vegas 4x4
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here's more info - The Rugged Ridge SYE Kit may be your problem. The gear is mashed into the drive assembly on the RR product, and the Advance Adapter product has some end float to prevent this from happening. If you have a Rugged Ridge SYE kit, pull the speedometer drive and look at where the end of the speedo gear would contact the tail-housing. You'll likely see marks where the speedo gear has gouged it. Here's a couple of pics.
aa_sye.jpg   rr_sye.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.