Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #46
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Going over wheeler pass is a stock friendly trail your zj won't have any problem I have never had a problem going over unless there was snow
I have driven over the wheeler pass in a Honda crv

Unread 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #47
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x4 View Post
Going over wheeler pass is a stock friendly trail your zj won't have any problem I have never had a problem going over unless there was snow
Ok, thanks very much. I just got it and I'm not ready to break it just yet

Sounds like a fun ride. How do we get around the crazy lady? I was thinking blow dart with knock out tip.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #48
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Cool. I'm going with a bunch of Jeepers from around here so I should be ok if they spot my lines. As long as it's not hog wild rock climbing or mud I am ok with that. Hill climbs are usually not bad with longer wheel based vehicles. I was wondering what difficulty it's rated at. I think I read something like 2 or 3.
I would agree with that.
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #49
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Just stay on the road don't go in in the wash towards the top there are some rickshaw in the road just drive around them
As far as the old lady is concerned I don't know about it I opened the half fence they put up and closed it after I went through
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #50
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Did they add a gate recently? She put in gates to keep people away from her storage containers, but I've always just gone around the fenceline. Is there something new?
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #51
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This appears to be the area in question from Google Earth. Old images from 2008, but it should give some reference to those unfamiliar with the area.
image2.jpg   image1.jpg  
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #52
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I can understand why she would get annoyed, but unless she's been there forever, she had to have known there would be noise issues. The noise must be awful with dirt bikes and side-bys buzzing around your home.

On another forum it was mentioned she lived in those storage containers. Is that true or is that little home 7:00 of center hers? I thought it was a cute little place.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #53
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

The fence thing that I saw was like one of those temporary construction fences and it opens up on one side to let the local residents in
There is a way around it but its a long road and starts in a different spot its been years since I took that route and if I remember right its a long boring trail

A little over a year ago you could take chipmunk pass it was a cool little trail but forestry blocked it off and marked it wilderness I remember one of the guys saying you couldn't take a jeep or truck down it because if the over growth of trees problem was new and about 15 other jeeps and bronco's and Toyota's went through there the weekend before
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #54
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did wheelers pass a few weekends ago. The land owner no longer has the fence up. The forest service installed signs requesting people to slow down, try to reduce dust, and respect the land owners.

I did most of wheelers pass with my 1 year old daughter passed out in the back and my neighbor said that he has taken his stock 4 runner over it a few times. He said that he only dragged in a few places.

I would think that you should be fine, esp after you get over the summit.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #55
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
I did wheelers pass a few weekends ago. The land owner no longer has the fence up. The forest service installed signs requesting people to slow down, try to reduce dust, and respect the land owners.

I did most of wheelers pass with my 1 year old daughter passed out in the back and my neighbor said that he has taken his stock 4 runner over it a few times. He said that he only dragged in a few places.

I would think that you should be fine, esp after you get over the summit.
This sounds like a fun trail. Unfortunately, they switched the run to potato and I have read that I would need skids. I'm gonna wait until I can get my lift and tires on to try that one. So many cool trails 20 minutes from my house.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #56
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, we did it during the day with our stock rubicon... the wife is not the best spotter so I let her drive and I spotted. We hit the skid plates and control arms a few times.

I would not do it for the first time at night though.

I also think since they are doing it at night they have to come from the 160 side. I started from the Red Rock side, so we just descended through the rough stuff. They would be climbing it and at night... sounds like fun
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #57
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've probably done potato ridge 10 times from the 160 side and never from the red rock side haha.

It does beat the jeep up though, I hit or drag multiple times every time. Still fun as hell though
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #58
Namaste_LV

Wheeler & Rocky Gap

Been quite a while since I've done either Rocky Gap or Wheeler. When I did them they were on a KLR650 and a R1200GS. I assume I won't have any problem with my new GC Overland with the Offroad package on Wheeler, but what's the condition of Rocky gap? Think the gap is doable in the GC. Since I've mostly done this type of stuff on bikes I'm really good a picking lines, but of course you don't need the width you do in the GC.
Namaste_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #59
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

You might want to be careful doing Rocky Gap in a GC. It's gotten worse.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #60
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would not advice Rocky Gap either. I did it in a JKU Rubicon with a spotter and made very good use of my skid plates. I would say that Wheelers is doable. I was just up that way last weekend and the snow was very spotty, so there should be even less now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.