Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #31
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
No prob. Just didn't want to cause offense when none was meant.
No worries. I have much greater issues than strangers on the internet.

I'm near South Point, just across the Henderson border. Are we neighbors?

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
No worries. I have much greater issues than strangers on the internet.

I'm near South Point, just across the Henderson border. Are we neighbors?
I'm over towards Boulder City. Can't even see the strip from my house.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

We were just in your area at Lake Mead recently. We had a look at the Anniversary Narrows. We accidentally found an ammo can for geocachers. Never really got into geocaching, but after finding that ammo can, I think we may give it a try.

I read there is an abandoned gypsum cave in Boulder City that can be explored. I believe there was a sloth fossil inside. Do you know where it is? The only directions I found online were very poor.
Unread 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

What was the state of the road dropping down into the wash at the mouth of the canyon? It tends to get a little washout out, but I don't usually head out there in the summer.
Unread 08-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The drop into the wash is bad. We saw someone started to stack rocks to ease that approach angle. We weren't going to risk getting stuck in there and hiked the rest of the way. 33's should get you in and out with a little bumper rubbing.

On our way back west on North Shore Rd we saw another road that lead into what looked like the same wash. If offroad use is allowed we'll give that a try next time.
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #36
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The drop into the wash is bad. We saw someone started to stack rocks to ease that approach angle. We weren't going to risk getting stuck in there and hiked the rest of the way. 33's should get you in and out with a little bumper rubbing.

On our way back west on North Shore Rd we saw another road that lead into what looked like the same wash. If offroad use is allowed we'll give that a try next time.
The wash downhill from anniversary narrows isn't an approved Lake Mead route, doesn't connect back with the established route (that was goes somewhere else) and is a much more technical route to take. It's pretty rocky in places.
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #37
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well we just finished going over wheelers pass. The pass was open and they just installed some signs stating that the next mile was private property, no parking, keep your dust down, and be courteous to the land owners.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

That's good to hear. Glad the land owner and the BLM were able to reach an agreement.

I've always turned around just before the peak at Wheelers. My wife has to stop to say hello to every horse out there and by the time we get up the trail it's getting too late to keep going since we don't have any aux. lights.

Where does it end? Around Pahrump somewhere I think. How would the run be from the Pahrump side? I live closer to that end.
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #39
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Also, I meant to add my question about the Carol Lombard crash site in the Wheelin' thread. Didn't mean to hijack this one. My apologies.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #40
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's good to hear. Glad the land owner and the BLM were able to reach an agreement.

I've always turned around just before the peak at Wheelers. My wife has to stop to say hello to every horse out there and by the time we get up the trail it's getting too late to keep going since we don't have any aux. lights.

Where does it end? Around Pahrump somewhere I think. How would the run be from the Pahrump side? I live closer to that end.
The run from the Pahrump side goes much quicker and isn't terribly difficult. Certainly a lot less rocky. It's further, but it goes faster because the road's pretty flat.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened with the road to the top of Frenchman mountain in east Vegas. People were disrespecting the comm towers and leaving trash and stolen vehicles/graffiti and other trash and it closed. Horrible because it was an awesome trail.
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #42
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I can tell you the the road there through cold creak was there before most of Russian people were there I know this because I have dove that road a lot I first took that road in 95 and there wasn't any fences or houses near that road you used to have to drive through the creek up until I think 9 years ago
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #43
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Can wheelers pass be done with a stock zj?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #44
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Honestly, I really thinks it depends on the driver. Last time I was up there, I was told by somebody coming back down that I wouldn't be able to make it in my lifted JKU Rubicon. Given that the guy was driving a Toyota I took it with a grain of salt and made it over the top with no problem. It certainly wasn't one of the tougher trails I've been on.

However, I have zero experience with ZJ's, stock or otherwise. You need 4wd, low gears are useful but not necessary (or rather, weren't necessary for me) and you'll need good route picking skills and some clearance. It's not a trail you can just drive straight up. I had to pick my way around and over some obstacles, and you'll need to do more of that with your ZJ.
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Cool. I'm going with a bunch of Jeepers from around here so I should be ok if they spot my lines. As long as it's not hog wild rock climbing or mud I am ok with that. Hill climbs are usually not bad with longer wheel based vehicles. I was wondering what difficulty it's rated at. I think I read something like 2 or 3.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.