Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Wheeler Pass Closure?!?!?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was at the DW meeting as well, and another member of the club said he would forward an email to me that he had received from the Forest Service indicating that the crazy lady has agreed to back down. I haven't gotten a copy of the email yet, but will update this once I do.

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ever get the e-mail ?
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes, but I'm trying to decide what it actually means. It didn't address the issue as head on as I would have liked, it just said that we could rely on the Motor Vehicle Use Map, and the route is included in the Motor Vehicle Use Map. I was going to head up there next weekend and see whether there's any changes on the ground.
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is Wheeler Pass 2wd friendly? If it is i'd be willing to go out there too.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

@Puck81, the part of Wheeler Pass that has been at controversy is certainly 2wd friendly. It's a very well maintained dirt road. However, you may have trouble getting all the way over into Pahrump in 2wd. If you get to the point where it's not smooth anymore, you've made it past the difficulty. (Plus, you may get to see wild horses, though it's still a bit hot for them to be off the mountain right now.
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #21
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well i have a 2wd Comander and found it works well on some trails. Although its not 4wd, i'll still give it a go.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I believe the Review Journal had a recent article on this issue. As reported, she does in fact own the property the road was built on. The road was mistakingly planned and built through a portion of her property. Rather than make it an issue, she was generous to allow it for public use.

As with many things, a few idiots ruined it for the rest of us. Some started to created their own trails and others used it for a dumping ground. Her original agreement was to disallow further trails and maintain the existing one which included clean up. Nobody helped her maintain or clean the trail, she got fed up and asked it to be closed.

I used to enjoy that trail and I'm sorry to see it go, but I don't fault her one bit for trying to maintain and preserve what is rightfully her property.

Everything I posted above was paraphrased from my poor memory, so don't hold me 100% accurate to it.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

She'll likely allow it to reopen if she hasn't already, but she probably made her point and will get the help she needs to keep it clean.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I believe the Review Journal had a recent article on this issue.
I would be curious to see this article, but it sounds like some really lazy reporting by the RJ. She's owned that property since 2002 (according to Clark County property records, which I've looked up) and the road was clearly established in 1984 when the last USGS quad map for that area was published, so the claim that she owned the land when the road was built is pure rubbish. She bought it with the road already firmly in place. (In fact, I'm confident that I could demonstrate that the road was in place for decades before that.)

She doesn't have the legal right to close it. There's nothing generous is giving something you don't have.
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

As I stated, I may have the details wrong, but I think I got the broad strokes. If the issue has been resolved, the details aren't important.
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I might try to head up there this weekend to let the kids feed the horses, I will try to swing by and see if she still has it blocked off.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

@ YSB, I hope you didn't take offense at my comment, I think it more likely that you remembered the article correctly and the RJ got it wrong. Reporters these days tend to not dig the way they should, and will base a story entirely on a single interview without checking it out. I wanted to see a copy of the article not as a challenge to your statement, but so that I could see first hand how badly the RJ had mucked it up.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I tried to search the RJ without luck. The more I think about it, I may have my source incorrect. I know I heard about it somewhere. I just can't be certain where I heard it. It may have been the local news or possibly even the Heidi Harris show. If it was the Heidi Harris radio show, the source may have even been a caller which would further reduce the accuracy of my second hand reporting.

Over the past few years, I've had a series of strokes that has destroyed my memory. No offense taken. Not towards you, at least. It's my memory that annoys me. Not you.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #29
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I tried to search the RJ without luck. The more I think about it, I may have my source incorrect. I know I heard about it somewhere. I just can't be certain where I heard it. It may have been the local news or possibly even the Heidi Harris show. If it was the Heidi Harris radio show, the source may have even been a caller which would further reduce the accuracy of my second hand reporting.

Over the past few years, I've had a series of strokes that has destroyed my memory. No offense taken. Not towards you, at least. It's my memory that annoys me. Not you.
No prob. Just didn't want to cause offense when none was meant.
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #30
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Has anyone visited the Carol Lombard plane crash site at Mt. Potosi? I know exactly where it is, but I'm not able to make the steep climb. According to Google Earth there is a communication tower trail that goes over the crash site, but that road is fenced off.

Lots of mines to visit there too. On a recent trip around those trails, my wife and I came across some sort of fish fossils. Amazing all of this was once the bottom of the ocean.

Does anyone know of other curiosities out there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.