Vegas Valley - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Vegas Valley

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
Ram Canyon, Tierod Canyon, Beer bottle pass, Packsaddle Loop, Coliseum Mine, excelsior Mine, Titus Canyon, Lucy Gray mine, lewis Holes, table Mountain, Spirit Mountain, Clark Mountain, el Dorado, bitter Springs, Carpenter Canyon, Trout Canyon, Wheeler Pass, ora Plata Mine, Riley's Camp, old mojave road, camp Rock Springs, Gold Butte....stuff out of Beatty like bare Mountain, McCullough Pass, Johnnie Mine, Bonanza Mine, Yellow Pine mine, Lanfair Valley, Christmas Tree pass, Cima Dome, Knob hill, Keyhole canyon, Picture Rocks, Cottonwood Valley/ Mount Potosi, Juan/ Hart Mine, Area 52....

Are there good places to camp at most of these locations?

Also, you have any important pointers for the novice wheeler? I just moved out here and haven't really wheeled in this terrain much.

distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, stay away from the snow in the higher elevations.

I hit some today and got stuck. big time.

camping is just about everywhere, where you're on federal land. lots of nice campsites around.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
Lancerkath
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantdog View Post
Are there good places to camp at most of these locations?

Also, you have any important pointers for the novice wheeler? I just moved out here and haven't really wheeled in this terrain much.
Most of these areas are on BLM land, which means you can camp for up to 2 weeks. National Forests and Mojave National Preserve might require a permit unless using established campgrounds.

Also be sure to check out fire regulations if planning on having a campfire. It is the desert and it is very dry most of the year, so restrictions may be in effect.

If you're looking for an informal group to go riding with, check out the Jeep Thrills in Las Vegas group on meetup.com at http://jeep.meetup.com/225/
They have all levels of drivers and they usually go out about once a month on some local trails.
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
Brew461

Jeep is going to be here next week!

Have any of you guys did any wheeling around the bighorn wash area south of Willow beach in AZ?
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Everyone here know how to use Google maps?

I propose people mark the places they wheel and we all share maps...

Any takers? I am pretty new to the area so I dont have many marked yet but I am willing to share just to get it started. Send me your email address and i will share my maps.
Unread 03-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Just tried the Potato Ridge/549 Road off of Lovell Canyon Rd yesterday. Its washed out.

You may be able to make it through with a serious rock crawling setup.

I'm def not setup for that yet so I didn't make it too far.
Unread 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
vegas TJ driver
Red Jeep Club Member #462

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Potato Ridge is the one from Red Rock to Lovell Canyon? Planning on doing that one Sat. Went through there about a month ago. it wasn't too bad then.
1997 TJ Sport, 4.0L, D30 front with 4.56 gears & ARB locker, G2 D44 rear with 4.56 gears, disc brakes & ARB locker, Pro Comp SYE, Adam's Driveshaft rear driveshaft, ARB compressor, 6" Rough Country long arm kit, 8K Warn winch, Warn Rock Crawler bumpers, Gen-Right fuel tank skid, Bestop seats, Or-Fab tire/can carrier, Dave's rack cargo rack. Tuffy security console & glove box, 35" 12.50X15" KM2's
http://adamsdriveshaft.com/
I wave at Jeeps
vegas TJ driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas TJ driver View Post
Potato Ridge is the one from Red Rock to Lovell Canyon? Planning on doing that one Sat. Went through there about a month ago. it wasn't too bad then.
Does anyone know where to get a map of the roads out there?

Did you start from Red Rock? I started from Lovell Canyon. I'm not too familiar with the roads so perhaps I missed a turn. I don't think so though.
Unread 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I'm planning on running Trout Canyon from Pahrump to Lovell Canyon and then back to Vegas through Potato Ridge next Saturday
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Anyone know a good shop to get some minor paint work done?

Need to get some flares painted to match my Jeep. Thanks.
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #26
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Anyone know a good shop to get some minor paint work done?

Need to get some flares painted to match my Jeep. Thanks.
DIY rattle can...wait, I assumed we were talking black.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #27
vegas TJ driver

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Maps

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get a map of the roads out there?

Did you start from Red Rock? I started from Lovell Canyon. I'm not too familiar with the roads so perhaps I missed a turn. I don't think so though.
I missed the turn to Rocky Gap my 1st time coming in from Lovell. From Red Rock Willow Springs picnic area you proceed off end of pavement and follow the road. Regarding maps... I have heard there is a place on the SW corner of MLK and Alta that has topo's. Also you might try the USGS. Address may be in phone book or try googling it. Also I found a book titled "Great Basin SUV Trails, Volume I, Southern Nevada". The ISBN is 0-9707115-4-9. I picked it up at Back Country Products, 3475 Polaris, Las Vegas, NV 89102. Phone 702 873 2950. This book has many trails. It describes them fairly well. Also has some GPS coordinates if you use a GPS.

Good luck
1997 TJ Sport, 4.0L, D30 front with 4.56 gears & ARB locker, G2 D44 rear with 4.56 gears, disc brakes & ARB locker, Pro Comp SYE, Adam's Driveshaft rear driveshaft, ARB compressor, 6" Rough Country long arm kit, 8K Warn winch, Warn Rock Crawler bumpers, Gen-Right fuel tank skid, Bestop seats, Or-Fab tire/can carrier, Dave's rack cargo rack. Tuffy security console & glove box, 35" 12.50X15" KM2's
http://adamsdriveshaft.com/
I wave at Jeeps
vegas TJ driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #28
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

be careful with the Mitchell series of books. I've found them to be incredibly unreliable in places.

get the black Benchmark Recreational Atlas. You can also get NDOT's map, for like 15 bucks, if that, which is HIGHLY detailed.

This is also an INCREDIBLE series of books. Not one specifically for Nevada, but the AZ, Utah, and SoCal all include a little of Nevada in them.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
Lancerkath
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you go on Topozone.com you can buy USGS topo maps through them.
Unread 04-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #30
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas TJ driver View Post
I missed the turn to Rocky Gap my 1st time coming in from Lovell. From Red Rock Willow Springs picnic area you proceed off end of pavement and follow the road. Regarding maps... I have heard there is a place on the SW corner of MLK and Alta that has topo's. Also you might try the USGS. Address may be in phone book or try googling it. Also I found a book titled "Great Basin SUV Trails, Volume I, Southern Nevada". The ISBN is 0-9707115-4-9. I picked it up at Back Country Products, 3475 Polaris, Las Vegas, NV 89102. Phone 702 873 2950. This book has many trails. It describes them fairly well. Also has some GPS coordinates if you use a GPS.

Good luck
I can see the trail on google maps, but when we went in from Lovell i came up to a part that was REALLY rocky and impassible for my rig. Thats why I thought maybe I missed a turn, but I can't really see how I would miss a turn going so slow through there. Perhaps when I get my lift on and all my armor it won't seem so sketchy.

We went over to Red Rock and went in a bit on that side but it was getting dark and we weren't prepared to be out there much longer.

I'm getting a GPS soon so that will come in handy.

If anyone does the trail and makes it through, let us know on the condition of the trail. The part that stopped me up was on the Lovell side.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.