Trail Run Thread - Southern Nevada - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Trail Run Thread - Southern Nevada

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #781
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Tentative plan for rocky gap(potato) on Saturday. Meet at Mcds/Starbucks at 10k block west charleston at 9ish to Leave at 930ish? Brining the babies, so it will be slow going, with multiple stops, just fair warning. My wife hasn't been all the way through, so she's going to want to stop and look at stuff along the way. I also want to get some good Jeep footage and pics also. I'm going to figure on a return to vegas time at around 4-5pm. Would really like at least one other rig along just in case of breakage/malfunctions in equipment. By then, I'll have brake lines and everything done so I'll want to really see what this beast is capable of, within safe reason!
Is this still the plan?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+v...61865&t=h&z=20

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #782
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If I can get some wrenching time in tonight or tomorrow AM, I might show up for this run.

What time do you guys plan on being at the Lovell Canyon trail head? I would rather meet you guys there since I drive slower than you guys.

Not that I really care, but I am curious why are you meeting at a random McDonalds instead of the standard meetup spot for this trail (Gas Station @ the corner of SR 159 - Red Rock Canyon Road and SR 160 - Blue Diamond Road)? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=89148...89148&t=h&z=17
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #783
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
My guess is unless Power wants to wheel with 3 shocks, he may be out One of the shocks I got him leaks at the crimp on the reservoir hose.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #784
sirhk100

Bonez, I drive like a grandma myself as well. And no clue on the meeting stuff... I'm just going where told.

Garza/Power... I'm 99.9% sure I've got a hose off a bilstein laying around. Not sure if the size/threads are the same though. I can get a measurement this afternoon when I get home and if they seem like they're the same we could always try swapping hoses really quick. Should only take 15-20 minutes or so to tear one down, swap hoses and reassemble... Or take the hose to a hose place today ( http://www.allhoseinc.net/ ) and see if they can re-crimp it real quick for cheap.

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #785
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bonez, I drive like a grandma myself as well. And no clue on the meeting stuff... I'm just going where told.

Garza/Power... I'm 99.9% sure I've got a hose off a bilstein laying around. Not sure if the size/threads are the same though. I can get a measurement this afternoon when I get home and if they seem like they're the same we could always try swapping hoses really quick. Should only take 15-20 minutes or so to tear one down, swap hoses and reassemble... Or take the hose to a hose place today and see if they can re-crimp it real quick for cheap.
I don't even think it requires a tear down does it?......bleed the nitrogen off, swap the hoses (saving as much oil as you can), then recharge?? I'm hoping what was a leaky fitting that he tightened turns out to be residual on the hose, but I don't think we'll be that lucky.

AND with Power's OCD, I don't think he could stand to have a Bilstein hose on a Fox shock

I'm at all-hose now getting steering parts for the buggy!!
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #786
sirhk100

I'm not sure how you'd bleed all the air out thru the resivoir though? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't know how to do it... If I've got a shock body in one hand and the resi in the other. I can thread the hose into the body, fill it to the tippy top with oil. Now how to I fill the resi and thread it on without loosing oil? Say you pull the resi apart, knock the deviding piston out. Fill it there, how do you get the piston back in without trapping oil?

Like I said, maybe there's a way, I just have never done it and don't know how...

Hardest part is likely going to be getting the resi hose loose on the resi cap and the shock body. They use like mega super ultra retard strength loctite usually.

I see it as replace the hose, pop the cap on the shock, pull the shaft out, top it off with fluid, slide it back in and pop the bottom back on since I don't know of another way.

And yeah, I agree, power probably wouldn't be able to handle a blue hose on his shocks.

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #787
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure how you'd bleed all the air out thru the resivoir though? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't know how to do it... If I've got a shock body in one hand and the resi in the other. I can thread the hose into the body, fill it to the tippy top with oil. Now how to I fill the resi and thread it on without loosing oil? Say you pull the resi apart, knock the deviding piston out. Fill it there, how do you get the piston back in without trapping oil?

Like I said, maybe there's a way, I just have never done it and don't know how...

Hardest part is likely going to be getting the resi hose loose on the resi cap and the shock body. They use like mega super ultra retard strength loctite usually.

I see it as replace the hose, pop the cap on the shock, pull the shaft out, top it off with fluid, slide it back in and pop the bottom back on since I don't know of another way.

And yeah, I agree, power probably wouldn't be able to handle a blue hose on his shocks.
Just a thought, but what about bleeding off the nitrogen, leaving the hose in place and seeing if it can be re-crimped on the shock and then re-charged? I know that is dependent upon the crimp tool, but in theory??
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #788
sirhk100

Absolutely if they can do that, it's 100% the way to go!!! If you guys need nitrogen I have a bottle...

Unread 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #789
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp, it looks like I'm out for the saturday run! Not cool! I'll be trying to organize another run in the next couple weeks, if possible.
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #790
sirhk100

So... Then is anything going on tomorrow? If not, no biggie, it'll just allow me to be lazy tonight instead! LOL

Unread 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #791
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am still going. Probly in the late afternoon. I want to try out the 35's.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #792
sirhk100

What time you thinking? I have plans tomorrow evening so I need to be back in town at a reasonable time. I'm also down for somewhere else but the temps are probably a bit more then I want to subject my DD too honestly.

Unread 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #793
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Whelp, it looks like I'm out for the saturday run! Not cool! I'll be trying to organize another run in the next couple weeks, if possible.
You know that's probably like a $5-10 fix if you walk into all hose with it right? Worse case have them knock out a whole hose for you, drop the shock and hose off at my house tonight during your route and pick it back up like 30 minutes later or anytime after finished and ready to go. No excuse man, step up and get it done!!!!

Unread 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #794
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You know that's probably like a $5-10 fix if you walk into all hose with it right? Worse case have them knock out a whole hose for you, drop the shock and hose off at my house tonight during your route and pick it back up like 30 minutes later or anytime after finished and ready to go. No excuse man, step up and get it done!!!!
We're working on it now.....cross your fingers that it was just some residual in the weave of the braided hose!!
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #795
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was still planning to go in the morning. Is anyone else still planning to go then?
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.