Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trail Run Thread - Southern Nevada

90K views 1K replies 42 participants last post by  B0nez 
#1 ·
Here, might as well try to make it easier.

Post up in here with dates and times of runs, please try to keep it related to conversation related to actual trail runs.

I believe Greg and Matt are doing something this weekend, but I don't know when and where?

#1,048 ·
I am planning to head out to the Desert National Wildlife Refuge this Sunday 11/17.

From the FWS website:
"Mormon Well Road is closed from Desert Pass Campground to Sawmill Canyon due to flood damage.
The campground is still accessible.
Alamo Road is closed at the Dry Lake Bed due to hazardous conditions. 4-wheel drive is required north of Hidden Forest Road.
The refuge north of the Dry Lake Bed can be accessed from Pahranagat NWR."

Looks like I won't be transiting from 95 to 93 but at least I go wonder around up in the hills for awhile.

Any tips or points of interest?

- John

#1,049 ·
Go exploring Peekaboo Canyon looks interesting and you can also run up Pine Nut road and see what's up there. It's a left early on the open area before the first canyon.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

#1,050 ·
Rocky gap comes out at Lovell canyon road, right?

Barring unforeseen events, I'm planning on running rocky gap from the red rock side Sunday morning with a shoot on the pahrump side after the trail.

#1,052 ·
B0nez said:
Yep, comes out in Lovell Canyon, though most run it backwards to avoid the entry fees.
Yeah, I know, but my situation on Sunday will require me to run that way. My dad and his new GF may meet me on the back side to shoot, and his vehicle won't make it through rocky gap. If he decides not to meet up, I may change and run backwards too. Will just shoot before the trail is all.

#1,054 ·
gregaf3 said:
New girlfriend already?
Yeah, I was wondering who all would pick up on that!? It's a bit of an issue for me! He's been pushing for me to meet her, and I told him I thought it was too soon for me seeing as it hasn't even been three months, and he flipped out and made some seriously effed up threat about eliminating my family from his life! My wife and I have decided to just meet this person to try an get a sense of what her possible motives may be. I've mostly accepted the role he will be playing in my family moving forward. It's a huge, effed up situation that requires a tremendous amount of backstory. He's a stepfather, so that can provide a diving off point for where the story goes.

#1,055 ·
Still having a very tough time with everything, and this whole scene has just made it that much worse...

#1,060 ·
Was thinking about it, but no one wants to join. Doubt I'll be able to make it to wheeler in time too. My morning has been pre-planned for me! Family sucks sometimes when you have a truck and trailer!

#1,064 ·
I went through rocky gap today. Lots of snow at the summit. went in through red rock, and should have turned around where the tracks stopped! :laugh: It was super easy to the point where we all stopped last time, and just got crappy in the rock garden. Someone came up the Pahrump side and turned around right before the summit. I though I would be fine if I just followed the tracks. WRONG! had a couple of hard hits in one section of the washes, and for the most part did ok after that. Until i found the one off camber climb! it leans toward a nice part of the ditch, and was mostly stuck in it for a few minutes. I was finally able to get out of the wash, and get enough momentum to climb up and out of the wash. There were several times where I was seriously sweating it, and I had the windows open! ROFL. Got some probably good video, would have been better if I had pushed record on the second camera before the rocks. D'OH! I'll be working on the edit and hopefully have it posted tonight. It's gonna be embarrassing for me though. Killed the engine a few times, and was just a complete NOOB in the ditch.

#1,065 ·
The Jeeping video of Rocky Gap from today. This is just the most "interesting" parts. Yeah, this would have sucked going UP!

#1,066 ·
Powrjunkey said:
I went through rocky gap today. Lots of snow at the summit. went in through red rock, and should have turned around where the tracks stopped! :laugh: It was super easy to the point where we all stopped last time, and just got crappy in the rock garden. Someone came up the Pahrump side and turned around right before the summit. I though I would be fine if I just followed the tracks. WRONG! had a couple of hard hits in one section of the washes, and for the most part did ok after that. Until i found the one off camber climb! it leans toward a nice part of the ditch, and was mostly stuck in it for a few minutes. I was finally able to get out of the wash, and get enough momentum to climb up and out of the wash. There were several times where I was seriously sweating it, and I had the windows open! ROFL. Got some probably good video, would have been better if I had pushed record on the second camera before the rocks. D'OH! I'll be working on the edit and hopefully have it posted tonight. It's gonna be embarrassing for me though. Killed the engine a few times, and was just a complete NOOB in the ditch.
You have a winch and were still sweating it? Scared of a little cold?

#1,067 ·
andy02 said:
You have a winch and were still sweating it? Scared of a little cold?
That's how stupid I was! I could have just winched it, and didn't even think about that until I got home! ROFLMFAO!

#1,069 ·
Nice vid Powr, but yeah, the entire time I was reading this thread then watching the video I was thinking "was he actually that stupid and went alone?!" yep.. end of the video confirmed it. What were you thinking?

It sure was great looking scenery though, reminds me of a great shot Jared hooked me up with last year.

Attachments

#1,070 ·
My best friend is coming in town December 12th thru 16th and I wanted to organize, or join an already planned, run for one day that weekend on the 14th or 15th. I was hoping to hit a more complicated trail then Potato Ridge since Puck and I had good success on 3.5-4 rated trails last weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.