Top Gear USA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Top Gear USA

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Top Gear USA

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...2-death-valley

Don't know if you guys saw this, but the Top Gear guys took some vehicles out across Death Valley and up and down some trails a bunch of us have seen and done. Clearly these guys don't really know how to drive off road, but it's entertaining.

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The end got my blood boiling. Because the K5 got to Trump tower first. K5's are giant road turds. End of story. All in all though, good episode.
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have it dvr'd. Hopefully I can watch it tomorrow.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
AggieOE

I thought it was quite awesome! Mainly just because I like Top Gear US...
It's obvious they arent the greatest at much stuff... like here... offroading... But! It does give hope to guys like me who have a good general understanding of most car/truck related things and provides great (better than MTV) entertainment!
History Channel was smart to pick this up.
As far as this episode went, The jeep should have won... Anyone in their right mind would have left it in neutral going down the mountain, then cruise at like 50-55mph to Trump Tower. Oh well!

Also... why didnt they just lay the carpet on the road and drive across it?

All for the sake of Entertainment I guess.... lol
AggieOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

I have yet to see the episode but the History Channel should be better than this

"Tanner, Rutledge and Adam compete in an epic 400-mile journey from the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas in an attempt to identify the best 4x4 you can by for $5,000."

/sigh
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieOE View Post
I thought it was quite awesome! Mainly just because I like Top Gear US...
It's obvious they arent the greatest at much stuff... like here... offroading... But! It does give hope to guys like me who have a good general understanding of most car/truck related things and provides great (better than MTV) entertainment!
History Channel was smart to pick this up.
As far as this episode went, The jeep should have won... Anyone in their right mind would have left it in neutral going down the mountain, then cruise at like 50-55mph to Trump Tower. Oh well!

Also... why didnt they just lay the carpet on the road and drive across it?

All for the sake of Entertainment I guess.... lol
I generally have more than three gallons of gas in my jeep when coming down from Charleston and I put it in neutral all the same just to save some.

I loved it that Tanner got up that waterfall so much easier in the Jeep than the other guys despite not really going about it in a sensible manner. Most guys who haven't offroaded much (and these guys are great examples of this) have a tendency to try to overcome anything by just mashing the skinny peddle. Not surprising that one of them snapped an axle.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I sharted myself when he swung the pink trailer off. too funny
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I finally got time to watch it last night and I like how Adam got the bronco across the road.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
YOJIK
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlasvegas View Post
I sharted myself when he swung the pink trailer off. too funny
Indeed, I was crying as I replayed it.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yojiks-2006-tj-build-thread-1158011/"]My Build Thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/official-las-vegas-southern-nevada-wheelin-thread-1104394/"]Las Vegas Southern Nevada Thread[/URL]
YOJIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
YOJIK
2006 TJ Wrangler 

BTW what dunes were they at? Is that in Amargosa?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yojiks-2006-tj-build-thread-1158011/"]My Build Thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/official-las-vegas-southern-nevada-wheelin-thread-1104394/"]Las Vegas Southern Nevada Thread[/URL]
YOJIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure that was Dumont Dunes.
Unread 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

They came up wheelers pass or potato ridge I believe.

They didn't show a lot of off road scenes. They need to start making their specials like UK s specials... long
Unread 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

The map they showed would have had them going over wheelers pass, but they never showed anything from that. At least they showed some from Goler but I would have liked to have seen them crest over wheeler pass.
Unread 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I saw it & it reinforced my belief that “reality TV” has little to do with reality. It was entertaining but let’s face it, anyone who has been out where they started can’t get to Mt. Charleston without crossing pavement more than once. Their “crossing” scene was filmed in downtown Pahrump. They were literally surrounded by pavement. I happened to be passing by when the Bronco was laying on its side. I thought some had rolled it trying to make the corner. I noticed that there were a lot of people taking videos but didn’t see anything about it on local TV that night. Anyone wanting to see where it was shot, go into the Ishanti Ridge development off Wilson Rd. Across from the old Binion ranch. It is next to the last of the 4 model homes.
Rubi4MyMrs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I saw it & it reinforced my belief that “reality TV” has little to do with reality. It was entertaining but let’s face it, anyone who has been out where they started can’t get to Mt. Charleston without crossing pavement more than once. Their “crossing” scene was filmed in downtown Pahrump. They were literally surrounded by pavement. I happened to be passing by when the Bronco was laying on its side. I thought some had rolled it trying to make the corner. I noticed that there were a lot of people taking videos but didn’t see anything about it on local TV that night. Anyone wanting to see where it was shot, go into the Ishanti Ridge development off Wilson Rd. Across from the old Binion ranch. It is next to the last of the 4 model homes.
Yeah ... it's all fun and games and certainly not strictly tied to reality. (Most things involving supercars generally have only a tenuous grip on reality.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.