JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Top Gear USA (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/top-gear-usa-1253401/)

davidsonlaw 08-15-2011 09:11 PM

Top Gear USA

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...2-death-valley

Don't know if you guys saw this, but the Top Gear guys took some vehicles out across Death Valley and up and down some trails a bunch of us have seen and done. Clearly these guys don't really know how to drive off road, but it's entertaining.

sxysouthtx 08-15-2011 10:00 PM

The end got my blood boiling. Because the K5 got to Trump tower first. K5's are giant road turds. End of story. All in all though, good episode.

gregaf3 08-15-2011 10:54 PM

I have it dvr'd. Hopefully I can watch it tomorrow.

AggieOE 08-16-2011 09:30 AM

I thought it was quite awesome! Mainly just because I like Top Gear US...
It's obvious they arent the greatest at much stuff... like here... offroading... But! It does give hope to guys like me who have a good general understanding of most car/truck related things and provides great (better than MTV) entertainment!
History Channel was smart to pick this up.
As far as this episode went, The jeep should have won... Anyone in their right mind would have left it in neutral going down the mountain, then cruise at like 50-55mph to Trump Tower. Oh well!

Also... why didnt they just lay the carpet on the road and drive across it?

All for the sake of Entertainment I guess.... lol

MightyLampshade 08-16-2011 09:34 AM

I have yet to see the episode but the History Channel should be better than this

"Tanner, Rutledge and Adam compete in an epic 400-mile journey from the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas in an attempt to identify the best 4x4 you can by for $5,000."

/sigh

davidsonlaw 08-16-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieOE (Post 12029507)
I thought it was quite awesome! Mainly just because I like Top Gear US...
It's obvious they arent the greatest at much stuff... like here... offroading... But! It does give hope to guys like me who have a good general understanding of most car/truck related things and provides great (better than MTV) entertainment!
History Channel was smart to pick this up.
As far as this episode went, The jeep should have won... Anyone in their right mind would have left it in neutral going down the mountain, then cruise at like 50-55mph to Trump Tower. Oh well!

Also... why didnt they just lay the carpet on the road and drive across it?

All for the sake of Entertainment I guess.... lol

I generally have more than three gallons of gas in my jeep when coming down from Charleston and I put it in neutral all the same just to save some.

I loved it that Tanner got up that waterfall so much easier in the Jeep than the other guys despite not really going about it in a sensible manner. Most guys who haven't offroaded much (and these guys are great examples of this) have a tendency to try to overcome anything by just mashing the skinny peddle. Not surprising that one of them snapped an axle.

sirlasvegas 08-16-2011 02:55 PM

I sharted myself when he swung the pink trailer off. too funny :D

gregaf3 08-17-2011 12:34 PM

I finally got time to watch it last night and I like how Adam got the bronco across the road.

YOJIK 08-17-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirlasvegas (Post 12031126)
I sharted myself when he swung the pink trailer off. too funny :D

Indeed, I was crying as I replayed it.

YOJIK 08-17-2011 06:34 PM

BTW what dunes were they at? Is that in Amargosa?

adams1985cj 08-20-2011 03:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that was Dumont Dunes.

Grand_ZJ 08-20-2011 04:16 PM

They came up wheelers pass or potato ridge I believe.

They didn't show a lot of off road scenes. They need to start making their specials like UK s specials... long

davidsonlaw 08-20-2011 04:55 PM

The map they showed would have had them going over wheelers pass, but they never showed anything from that. At least they showed some from Goler but I would have liked to have seen them crest over wheeler pass.

Rubi4MyMrs 09-22-2011 04:53 PM

I saw it & it reinforced my belief that “reality TV” has little to do with reality. It was entertaining but let’s face it, anyone who has been out where they started can’t get to Mt. Charleston without crossing pavement more than once. Their “crossing” scene was filmed in downtown Pahrump. They were literally surrounded by pavement. I happened to be passing by when the Bronco was laying on its side. I thought some had rolled it trying to make the corner. I noticed that there were a lot of people taking videos but didn’t see anything about it on local TV that night. Anyone wanting to see where it was shot, go into the Ishanti Ridge development off Wilson Rd. Across from the old Binion ranch. It is next to the last of the 4 model homes.

davidsonlaw 09-22-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs (Post 12209984)
I saw it & it reinforced my belief that “reality TV” has little to do with reality. It was entertaining but let’s face it, anyone who has been out where they started can’t get to Mt. Charleston without crossing pavement more than once. Their “crossing” scene was filmed in downtown Pahrump. They were literally surrounded by pavement. I happened to be passing by when the Bronco was laying on its side. I thought some had rolled it trying to make the corner. I noticed that there were a lot of people taking videos but didn’t see anything about it on local TV that night. Anyone wanting to see where it was shot, go into the Ishanti Ridge development off Wilson Rd. Across from the old Binion ranch. It is next to the last of the 4 model homes.

Yeah ... it's all fun and games and certainly not strictly tied to reality. (Most things involving supercars generally have only a tenuous grip on reality.)

The time now is 04:54 AM.