New to the Vegas Jeep scene. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > New to the Vegas Jeep scene.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

New to the Vegas Jeep scene.

Hello all, i just bought a new Jeep and was looking for some information, a map, a webpage or something that has the trails marked. I live on the East side, end of Sahara that is and Treeline. Ive gone down the road that i was told goes to the "Old Dump" there are a couple trails there that I've gone on i.e. (Lave Bute, and Gardens something or other) Just wondering if there was a place i could see where the trails were at, and what kind of mods my Jeep must have to go through them. I'm a stock sport on 16's for the time being. Any weekend/day worriors out there?

Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post
Hello all, i just bought a new Jeep and was looking for some information, a map, a webpage or something that has the trails marked. I live on the East side, end of Sahara that is and Treeline. Ive gone down the road that i was told goes to the "Old Dump" there are a couple trails there that I've gone on i.e. (Lave Bute, and Gardens something or other) Just wondering if there was a place i could see where the trails were at, and what kind of mods my Jeep must have to go through them. I'm a stock sport on 16's for the time being. Any weekend/day worriors out there?
How much experience do you have navigating the backroads? You could check my site, lots of trails. You might want to try to get some folks to go with you ... don't want to get stuck out there by yourself.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
How much experience do you have navigating the backroads? You could check my site, lots of trails. You might want to try to get some folks to go with you ... don't want to get stuck out there by yourself.
No experience here in Vegas, lived in Michigan till i was 18, dirt roads, snow etc... Does military count? Yea i think I've gone out to those trails with the girl and the kids maybe five times since i got it, by myself that is. Didn't worry too much when i had 245/70/17's on it but recently dealership took those back i worry some on a rock coming up and hitting a side wall on these little 225/75/16's. Ran into a few people out there on the trails, no Jeeps... Just S-10 and a Suburban. Ill check out your site. Thanks. Oh i can navigate pretty easy. i don't think i would get lost if thats what you meant.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

What you need is an App for that. I wish i was further along in my college career to create a nice app using this information on your site.

Hmmm... the only two trails I've been on here in Vegas are Lava Butte/Rainbow Gardens, when i googled them they are hiking trails but they are posted at the entrance by the land bureau or something or other, i couldn't locate them on your site.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
No experience here in Vegas, lived in Michigan till i was 18, dirt roads, snow etc... Does military count? Yea i think I've gone out to those trails with the girl and the kids maybe five times since i got it, by myself that is. Didn't worry too much when i had 245/70/17's on it but recently dealership took those back i worry some on a rock coming up and hitting a side wall on these little 225/75/16's. Ran into a few people out there on the trails, no Jeeps... Just S-10 and a Suburban. Ill check out your site. Thanks. Oh i can navigate pretty easy. i don't think i would get lost if thats what you meant.
Knowing which way to go, and how far, was only part of what I was referring to. I was more looking to find out how much offroad experience you might have. It's easy to get into a lot of trouble out there if you have a breakdown, and puncture more than one tire, particularly this time of the year. I had a battery explode a month ago, totally freak thing. Wouldn't want to get stuck five or ten miles from pavement (outside of cell range) in 105 heat without backup.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What you need is an App for that. I wish i was further along in my college career to create a nice app using this information on your site.
Thanks. Trying to be comprehensive, and I've spent A LOT of time running trails. Amazing thing is that I'm only scratching the surface. Lots of trails around here.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Knowing which way to go, and how far, was only part of what I was referring to. I was more looking to find out how much offroad experience you might have. It's easy to get into a lot of trouble out there if you have a breakdown, and puncture more than one tire, particularly this time of the year. I had a battery explode a month ago, totally freak thing. Wouldn't want to get stuck five or ten miles from pavement (outside of cell range) in 105 heat without backup.
Oh yes i have not experience that nor that i want to, but i do know what you mean by anything could happen. Makes you want to have a Satellite phone sometimes. I guess i was gambling on the fact it was a new jeep and i could get some solo runs in before anything like that could happen. But anything could happen. I was amazed that the radiator was quite cool for running quite a while on the jeep when i pulled over to have a smoke break.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. Trying to be comprehensive, and I've spent A LOT of time running trails. Amazing thing is that I'm only scratching the surface. Lots of trails around here.
Im starting to see that there are a lot of trails around here. Ive been mostly a street racer most of my life and for having this Jeep for only a month has topped the joy that i used to experience going fast, going slow and riding places only a few select people have gone holds something really special.
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
nickmimi
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi Wilson,

Look up desert wranglers and jeep fanatics on Meetup.com. Great group of people. They have runs at least once a month.
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome Wilson. You might also want to check out some of these local groups for organized runs. You will find a number of people wheel with a bunch of different groups and most are more than willing to help you out on the trail or getting there.

http://www.warmachines702.com/
http://www.vv4w.org/
http://www.totalkarnage.net/totalkarnageLV.htm
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Vegas-Off-Road/
http://www.meetup.com/jeep-225/
http://www.nevadabackroaders.com/
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
tooofast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the heat....
I'm just off to Rubicon this morning but PM me in a week and we'll touch base. there are just tons and tons of trails of all levels around here.

if you want some books to get you started on check out the 'great basin SUV trails book one and two' by Mitchell. when i moved here i had never done and jeeping in the desert and its got lots of good trails from mild to pretty darn fun for a stock or near stock jeep. good descriptions and a good intro to the area.

your welcome to borrow my copies if you would like too, again just hit me with a PM and we'll get together.

here are a few shots of some of the local trails.

Welcome!

Dave
4" clayton long Arm, 5 inch rear stretch. CRAWLER tank. 35" KM2 muds, 1" MML from Brown Dog. Rear D44 Locked with a Detroit & trussed on Alloy Shafts, 4 point triangulation. Rear disc conversion. AtoZ Cage. Rubicon OR241 4:1. Front D30, Polly Performance Sleeve kit, locked with ARB, Alloy Shafts and HD steering linkages. Clayton belly up and oil pan skids, PSC Rocker Knockers, ORO air powerd Swayloc, Onbard Vita 450 and tank for fills and ARB compressor for the locker. Covered in dents.
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What part of Michigan you from Willson?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I used to live on Sahara and Hollywood. I still live right over near that area. Welcome.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
What part of Michigan you from Willson?
Town called Clarkston. Parents moved to Harbor Beach since I left in 2001.
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Willson
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooofast
if you want some books to get you started on check out the 'great basin SUV trails book one and two' by Mitchell. when i moved here i had never done and jeeping in the desert and its got lots of good trails from mild to pretty darn fun for a stock or near stock jeep. good descriptions and a good intro to the area.

your welcome to borrow my copies if you would like too, again just hit me with a PM and we'll get together.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Sorry haven't been on here in a while dropped my iPhone and cracked the hell out of it. I'll check those out if I can't find them I'll hit you up. Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.