New to Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > New to Jeeps

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

New to Jeeps

Hi everyone,
My name is Jimmy and I am new to Jeeps. I am looking for a reliable daily driver and something that I can take out and meet up with people from here.
I am looking at cherokees and find that most are upwards of 120k miles. What should I look for when buying a cherokee? How do you guys feel about the 5.2 V8's? Is there anyone local to me (las Vegas area) looking to sell a great running jeep?

I have $3500-$4000 to spend and would like something 96 or newer, cherokee or grand cherokee doesn't matter. I would prefer a straight 6, but a V8 I can live with.

What kind of MPG's can i realistically expect from these years?

Is there 1 year better the the rest?

The more info you guys can give me, the better. I'd like to keep costs low so I can start lifting and modding and offroading as soon as possible. let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

99 was probably the best year for the XJ. 120K on the odo wouldn't bother me at all provided it has the 4.0L. The 4L is basically a tractor motor. I have seen them run without oil pressure for upwords of 10 minutes with no major damage. If it has been taken care of, 300K is easy to get out of them.

I have only ever driven one Jeep with the 5.2L and I had no complaints aside from the fact that the Jeep I was driving was 2WD. I can't really speak to the longevity of that motor.

Don't worry much about the lift straight off if you haven't wheeled before. Learn to drive the Jeep stock and go from there. You will be money and sense ahead.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, there is a 98 Grand cherokee with a 3.5 lift. it looks clean, but it has the 5.2 and I am not real crazy about that motor.
Here the link:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3736204878.html
what do you guys think?
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3696076503.html
99 with 166k miles.
was this paint an option?
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/3716655314.html
This owner says most miles were being towed behind a motorhome.
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would take that XJ any day and twice on Sunday. Just make sure there are no major leaks and that everything works properly. Then keep it away from Puck. He will try to steal the window regulators out of it.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend and XJ with a 4.0. Before the TJ I had an XJ I bought at 190k miles. When I got it home I noticed the engine was low 4 quarts of oil and it was still running fine. I filled her back up and the wife used it for a year on a 30 mile each way commute.

On the Grand Cherokee my experience has been if down the road you want to get more extreme with you mods you'll hit the wall faster than you will with a XJ. Not saying you can't go extreme with one, just the buddies I had with them had more trouble doing it then the XJ guys.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I'd recommend and XJ with a 4.0. Before the TJ I had an XJ I bought at 190k miles. When I got it home I noticed the engine was low 4 quarts of oil and it was still running fine. I filled her back up and the wife used it for a year on a 30 mile each way commute.

On the Grand Cherokee my experience has been if down the road you want to get more extreme with you mods you'll hit the wall faster than you will with a XJ. Not saying you can't go extreme with one, just the buddies I had with them had more trouble doing it then the XJ guys.
Depends on the level of extreme you wind up going with. At some point, the XJ out runs the ZJ when it comes to aftermarket support. At that point though, you should really be considering building your own stuff or swaping to something stronger.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome Jimmy! I don't have any non-wrangler experience so I will defer any recommendations to the other guys. Just wanted to say hi and glad to have you on board.
B0nez is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post

Why did you wife only use it for a year? did you take it over or sell it or did it die?

I dont know how extreme I really want to go. realistically, I'd need a daily driver first, then something I can put a small lift on and bigger tires and run through issue.

will a grand cherokee be a decent choice with 130k miles? owner wants $4100 body and interior is in really good shape.
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
Why did you wife only use it for a year? did you take it over or sell it or did it die?
She got pregnant and it was pretty nasty inside, decided to buy her something nicer. I paid $400 for it and sold it a year later for $600. That jeep sold me on the 4.0 which is why I bought a TJ instead of a JK.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
I dont know how extreme I really want to go. realistically, I'd need a daily driver first, then something I can put a small lift on and bigger tires and run through issue.
Use it as your daily driver if you want, build it more extreme then you actually want to use it. Then when you're out using it, don't push it's limits and keep your mind in check for what you built it to do, not what it's capabilities truly are. Chances are it'll always get you where you need to be on Monday morning that way. As you get more extreme build it more. Keep the build a level or two beyond your trail intentions and you should be fairly safe. I always get scared for people when they only have 1 ride, need to be at work on monday yet on Sunday they're running a trail that pushes their vehicle's limits! That's just setting yourself up for some serious headaches and stress that's not needed.

doesn't matter the platform, it's just a good generic rule of thumb. I'm currently building my DD way more capable then I plan to use it in hopes of it rarely leaving me rideless on Monday morning. But if it does, I fall back to my other toy... If they're both broke, CRAP!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post

Use it as your daily driver if you want, build it more extreme then you actually want to use it. Then when you're out using it, don't push it's limits and keep your mind in check for what you built it to do, not what it's capabilities truly are. Chances are it'll always get you where you need to be on Monday morning that way. As you get more extreme build it more. Keep the build a level or two beyond your trail intentions and you should be fairly safe. I always get scared for people when they only have 1 ride, need to be at work on monday yet on Sunday they're running a trail that pushes their vehicle's limits! That's just setting yourself up for some serious headaches and stress that's not needed.

doesn't matter the platform, it's just a good generic rule of thumb. I'm currently building my DD way more capable then I plan to use it in hopes of it rarely leaving me rideless on Monday morning. But if it does, I fall back to my other toy... If they're both broke, CRAP!!!
+1 Very sound advice
B0nez is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.