JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   New to Jeeps (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/new-jeeps-1507780/)

Syncityj 04-11-2013 02:54 PM

New to Jeeps
 
Hi everyone,
My name is Jimmy and I am new to Jeeps. I am looking for a reliable daily driver and something that I can take out and meet up with people from here.
I am looking at cherokees and find that most are upwards of 120k miles. What should I look for when buying a cherokee? How do you guys feel about the 5.2 V8's? Is there anyone local to me (las Vegas area) looking to sell a great running jeep?

I have $3500-$4000 to spend and would like something 96 or newer, cherokee or grand cherokee doesn't matter. I would prefer a straight 6, but a V8 I can live with.

What kind of MPG's can i realistically expect from these years?

Is there 1 year better the the rest?

The more info you guys can give me, the better. I'd like to keep costs low so I can start lifting and modding and offroading as soon as possible. let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

andy02 04-11-2013 03:03 PM

99 was probably the best year for the XJ. 120K on the odo wouldn't bother me at all provided it has the 4.0L. The 4L is basically a tractor motor. I have seen them run without oil pressure for upwords of 10 minutes with no major damage. If it has been taken care of, 300K is easy to get out of them.

I have only ever driven one Jeep with the 5.2L and I had no complaints aside from the fact that the Jeep I was driving was 2WD. I can't really speak to the longevity of that motor.

Don't worry much about the lift straight off if you haven't wheeled before. Learn to drive the Jeep stock and go from there. You will be money and sense ahead.

Syncityj 04-11-2013 03:12 PM

Thanks, there is a 98 Grand cherokee with a 3.5 lift. it looks clean, but it has the 5.2 and I am not real crazy about that motor.
Here the link:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3736204878.html
what do you guys think?

Syncityj 04-11-2013 03:13 PM

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3696076503.html
99 with 166k miles.
was this paint an option?

Syncityj 04-11-2013 03:17 PM

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/3716655314.html
This owner says most miles were being towed behind a motorhome.

andy02 04-11-2013 03:20 PM

I would take that XJ any day and twice on Sunday. Just make sure there are no major leaks and that everything works properly. Then keep it away from Puck. He will try to steal the window regulators out of it.

matthew900 04-11-2013 05:49 PM

I'd recommend and XJ with a 4.0. Before the TJ I had an XJ I bought at 190k miles. When I got it home I noticed the engine was low 4 quarts of oil and it was still running fine. I filled her back up and the wife used it for a year on a 30 mile each way commute.

On the Grand Cherokee my experience has been if down the road you want to get more extreme with you mods you'll hit the wall faster than you will with a XJ. Not saying you can't go extreme with one, just the buddies I had with them had more trouble doing it then the XJ guys.

andy02 04-11-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew900 (Post 15282780)
I'd recommend and XJ with a 4.0. Before the TJ I had an XJ I bought at 190k miles. When I got it home I noticed the engine was low 4 quarts of oil and it was still running fine. I filled her back up and the wife used it for a year on a 30 mile each way commute.

On the Grand Cherokee my experience has been if down the road you want to get more extreme with you mods you'll hit the wall faster than you will with a XJ. Not saying you can't go extreme with one, just the buddies I had with them had more trouble doing it then the XJ guys.

Depends on the level of extreme you wind up going with. At some point, the XJ out runs the ZJ when it comes to aftermarket support. At that point though, you should really be considering building your own stuff or swaping to something stronger.

B0nez 04-11-2013 06:47 PM

Welcome Jimmy! I don't have any non-wrangler experience so I will defer any recommendations to the other guys. Just wanted to say hi and glad to have you on board. :wave:

Syncityj 04-11-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew900 (Post 15282780)
I'd recommend and XJ with a 4.0. Before the TJ I had an XJ I bought at 190k miles. When I got it home I noticed the engine was low 4 quarts of oil and it was still running fine. I filled her back up and the wife used it for a year on a 30 mile each way commute.

On the Grand Cherokee my experience has been if down the road you want to get more extreme with you mods you'll hit the wall faster than you will with a XJ. Not saying you can't go extreme with one, just the buddies I had with them had more trouble doing it then the XJ guys.

Why did you wife only use it for a year? did you take it over or sell it or did it die?

I dont know how extreme I really want to go. realistically, I'd need a daily driver first, then something I can put a small lift on and bigger tires and run through issue.

will a grand cherokee be a decent choice with 130k miles? owner wants $4100 body and interior is in really good shape.

matthew900 04-11-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncityj (Post 15283750)
Why did you wife only use it for a year? did you take it over or sell it or did it die?

She got pregnant and it was pretty nasty inside, decided to buy her something nicer. I paid $400 for it and sold it a year later for $600. That jeep sold me on the 4.0 which is why I bought a TJ instead of a JK.

sirhk100 04-12-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncityj (Post 15283750)
I dont know how extreme I really want to go. realistically, I'd need a daily driver first, then something I can put a small lift on and bigger tires and run through issue.

Use it as your daily driver if you want, build it more extreme then you actually want to use it. Then when you're out using it, don't push it's limits and keep your mind in check for what you built it to do, not what it's capabilities truly are. Chances are it'll always get you where you need to be on Monday morning that way. As you get more extreme build it more. Keep the build a level or two beyond your trail intentions and you should be fairly safe. I always get scared for people when they only have 1 ride, need to be at work on monday yet on Sunday they're running a trail that pushes their vehicle's limits! That's just setting yourself up for some serious headaches and stress that's not needed.

doesn't matter the platform, it's just a good generic rule of thumb. I'm currently building my DD way more capable then I plan to use it in hopes of it rarely leaving me rideless on Monday morning. But if it does, I fall back to my other toy... If they're both broke, CRAP!!!

B0nez 04-12-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhk100 (Post 15285800)

Use it as your daily driver if you want, build it more extreme then you actually want to use it. Then when you're out using it, don't push it's limits and keep your mind in check for what you built it to do, not what it's capabilities truly are. Chances are it'll always get you where you need to be on Monday morning that way. As you get more extreme build it more. Keep the build a level or two beyond your trail intentions and you should be fairly safe. I always get scared for people when they only have 1 ride, need to be at work on monday yet on Sunday they're running a trail that pushes their vehicle's limits! That's just setting yourself up for some serious headaches and stress that's not needed.

doesn't matter the platform, it's just a good generic rule of thumb. I'm currently building my DD way more capable then I plan to use it in hopes of it rarely leaving me rideless on Monday morning. But if it does, I fall back to my other toy... If they're both broke, CRAP!!!

+1 Very sound advice


The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.