Need A Trail From Nellis Dunes to Lake Mead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Need A Trail From Nellis Dunes to Lake Mead

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need A Trail From Nellis Dunes to Lake Mead

Hey folks, I'm a nurse at Mike O'Callaghan Federal Medical Center on Nellis AFB. The boys and I are looking for a trail that will take us to Lake Mead. We would like to take our wives and kids, if that is possible. Our average kid age is like 2, so our minimum timeframe is like 1.5-2 hours. I know we have the something-or-other byway near Valley of Fire, but that is a 26 mile trip and takes about 4 hours of moderate wheeling.

Please let me know another route that a Wrangler (me : ) ), a Tacoma, and a Grand Cherokee. I have been out for like 20 minutes at the dunes, but I am unfamiliar with the territory. Please tell me the gear we'll need, time frame, difficulty, route, and coordinates if you have them.

Thanks in advance guys and gals, I look forward to returning the favor in the future.

The Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

You could try boathouse cove. Check out my website for info on that one.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

if you go to the apex and find where the rental buggy's park. That is a gas line road, if you follow that road (yellow marker tubes sticking out of the ground) it will take you out the back side of the ammo dump then to a gypsum mine over by Lake Mead. It is a good ride, nothing too hard.

You can also turn right after the fence line ends and take the trail that runs parallel to the parameter fence. it will dump off on the gas line road. Going that way though you might have to take some trails around some portions just because of the breakover angle on some of your caravan.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.268...num=1&t=h&z=18 This is where the trails merge before heading out to lake Mead
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How long of a ride is it? Is the area by Lake mead nice, like for lunch? I'll have to go check it out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would say that you can do part of the trail ride for lunch, that is since your a nonner and get a lunch. But doing the whole thing would be pushing it unless you hate your Jeep. Many sections of it are cut out of rock, so it has no give. If you also plan on frequenting lake mead/red rock I would suggest getting the "America the beautiful" pass for $80 to get you in most parks nation wide. http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.