My build. 91 comanche. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > My build. 91 comanche.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 05-05-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
rockgp
1991 MJ Comanche 

My build. 91 comanche.

Well As the story goes, i wanted a comanche to rock crawl for a while. Spent 4 years looking for one i liked, and when the day finally came... it fell right into my lap in mid 2012. My friend bought it new in 91. Well he had a diabetic coma while driving on the freeway and ran into the back of a lexus GS400 at they guess 45-50 mph with no braking at all. Total'd the lexus, blew the rear window out and the rear doors would not open.
So it started out being known as the toyota killer. Because amazingly, the truck had nearly no damage. I replaced the hood and grill and power steering pulley (was plastic), along with ac condenser and some other small bits. Straightened the slight bow in right front fender, straightened the control arm bucket on the axle and good to go.
If you only saw the comanche youd guess it was a 15mph accident at best.

So i got it going and knew i wanted it to be a driver that was capable, crawler/search and rescue rig. I found comancheclub and that messed me all up, along with pbb.

Started collecting parts right away. Fast forward to may 1 2014. I had all the parts and bought new wheels and tires. Summer came and i was busy as ever, kept putting off the build date. Then my landlord lost the house we lived in after a 4 year legal battle and we were evicted in sept. NIGHTMARE. Didnt get into a new house till end of nov.

Fast forward again to 2 tuesdays ago. I finally had time and said THATS IT... no more BS. i closed my shop down and started on my truck. doing everything alone it took me 7 days start to finish to build it. Two 8 hour shifts a day with a nap in between. Total beast attack mode build.

Here are some pics to tell the story.

Here she is in all her bone stock glory. June 2012 as i had just got her back on the road. That right front fender and lip were in the accident.

Well during my research i decided i wanted a D44 rear. My ebrake would connect back up and it came orig in these trucks. So i set out to find one. I literally just drove to the junk yard one day and OMG.... this was sitting in the yard...

Baby jesus shed a tear seeing that perfect 91 long bed sittin there like that. i looked underneath and couldnt breathe. A d44 with trac lok.
MINE! for 125 bucks i brought her home.

Went back to same junk yard a few weeks later and found a D30 with 4.11s in it. WOOOT!!! Pulled cover and it looked unused. Good for my stage 1 plans till i can spend the cash and build a full tilt D44 front like willy has under his wifes truck.

got my 44 all apart and cleaned up.

Ordered up some goodies. Yukon 4.11s, new Spicer carrier, Yukon master bearing kit, aussie locker. Needed some tools also for dana axles that i didnt yet have. Inch lb tq wrench was stolen some years back. So got that, a clamshell puller and housing spreader from jack geis. (top fuel drag racer)

this photo taken with a potato

made my setup bearings and put the aussie into the carrier..

Did setup and ran my pattern. No easy task with a dana. Got it where i want it.

Time for a little less talk and a lot more action.

time to get the old turdy out of there.

How cute, a wolverine without its claws..

Cleaned up and modded new to me 30 from the yunk yard.

rockgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
rockgp
1991 MJ Comanche 

How about some good stuff?

Ordered Clayton short arms and clayton 6.5 springs for up front. Drop pitman from clayton. Also monster track bar and drop bracket from clayton. Also clayton brake lines.
JKS stem elims and JKS quicker discons. Bilstein shocks for all 4 from knowwheretojeep.
SOA kit from ruffstuff.

While the axle was out i took the time to do the rear main seal and new pan gasket and valve cover gasket. Nobdoy wants a good lookin jeep that leaks.
Also in this pic, it got new T chain and balancer and 02 sensor a few months back.

Gettin into high gear here, the front end got done but of course wasnt a cake walk.

another pic taken with an avocado by a running gnome.

she peers into your soul...

Startin to get excited at this point...
Time to get that POS d35 out of there.

byeeeee

a face only a mother could love...

On to bigger and better chunks.

Need to set pinion angle loaded..

Melt the pads on there with my hot glue gun

one d44 with extra cheese comin right up..

Unread 05-05-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
rockgp
1991 MJ Comanche 

Well... time to set it down and see how it looks on 35" KM2s...

i had so much chub i couldnt walk for an hour.

drove her to the car wash for a bath.

An unreal week but i got it done.

Had a celebratory shot before hittin the hay.

Unread 05-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
rockgp
1991 MJ Comanche 

I drove it around a few ginger times to break in the new gears. During those times i was training my brain to accept that i was gonna cut up the fenders on this nice @$$ all original truck. I was NOT happy about it at all. But after many rubs on the first few drives i was convinced it was OK to do what i was gonna do.

Pulled her in the shop and said goodbye to my fender lips one last time...

cut fold cut fold...

onto the rear..... sigh.

I think I'm OK wih this...

took to cars and coffee sat morn.

Well, that brings you up to speed on where the truck is at. Gonna drive it for a bit and get some stuff dialed in. Next post will be sliders and bumpers.

Soon as its ready ill post pics of it on some boulders. Thanks for lookin and hope to meet some other las vegas jeep wheelers soon.

later. Dave
Unread 05-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome build! I've always thought building a comanche would be really col.
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
sirhk100

Nice!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great!
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks good !!
Unread 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jealous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.