JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Moving to vegas (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/moving-vegas-1543488/)

ugaboo 07-01-2013 09:23 AM

Moving to vegas

Hello, moving to Vegas in a few months and want to get the jeep ready for hot weather, sand etc. live in northeast so its more geared for cold and snow.. any suggestions on what I need to do first/ im thinking air filters to keep sand out, and a lift. how high for desert/rock climbing/ 4"?

B0nez 07-01-2013 10:08 AM

Welcome to the forum and eventually to Vegas. To answer your questions:

To prepare for the hot weather: Jeep TSB 1803103 is a good place to start as it has been plaguing a number of us folks here. It is being debated on whether the factory fix (i.e. insulator sleeve) is efficient enough, but nothing 20 minutes on the internet looking at forums can't help with giving you alternate ideas. For your reference:
TSB 1803103 - 4.0L ROUGH ENGINE IDLE AFTER RESTART FOLLOWING A HOT SOAK
Date: 09/05/03 (supercedes 1802702 dated 09/06/02)
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine. This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

Details: Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver’s side of vehicle).

For the air filters for sand: Air filters are always required regardless of the area so I hope you are already running one. Do you need a premium filter? Not really all that necessary as long as you keep yours clean and use a decent quality one (i.e fram, etc.). That being said, many of us have upgraded to an aftermarket filter system for more air flow which also increases filtration.

Lift height is a personal choice & 4" is a fairly popular one. Your tire size, driving style, and articulation will all be important factors. I currently run a 3.5" lift with 37" tires but have tube fenders that allow me to stuff those tires up further into the body during articulation than the stock fenders would allow.

My personal recommendation would be to just have your rig in good mechanical condition and some rock sliders for your rocker panels, then try out a few trails when you get here; check out some of the other rigs and get a feel for what you like/don't like and move forward from there.

Safe travels man.

sirhk100 07-01-2013 10:18 AM

I don't even own a jeep anymore but personally, if you're prepping to move here, go over your cooling system in ALL OF YOUR VEHICLES. I'd flush the system and get fresh fluids in there for sure! Make sure you're radiator doesn't have any minor leaks. Something that is just a weap and doesn't even leave a drop there may turn into something much bigger during a summer here. Granted, you say "a few months" so maybe you'll be here in the fall and miss this summer to buy some time... Filter, just make sure you've got a fresh filter. Stock is completely fine, you don't need anything special here. If you haven't changed it though in like 100K miles or something it may be worth looking at. Really though, it's just general maintenance items. Make sure ALL of your fluids are fresh and topped off. I'd kick on you A/C and see if it's working up to par. If not, maybe have that serviced back there as here you'll pay a premium. A/C is a big deal here so they get a premium $ working on it cause of that...

Lift, that's really up to you. If you really want to play in the rocks and not be limited too much I'd at least step up to something that will get you on a 33" tire. Bigger then that is purely up to your preference and budget though honestly. A 3-4" lift and a 33" tire with some decent line choice and driver knowledge will get you where "most" people want to go... And then there's Garza and Bonez and those types but they aren't the "norm"...

ksturgio 07-01-2013 11:27 AM

Some people like to start using a heavier oil here but I'm not sure how much that helps I just stick with what the factory recommends.

TABonifacio 07-07-2013 08:03 PM

Really grateful this thread was posted. I'm moving to Laughlin, NV after we deal with some family issues here so thank you for posting this! I'm originally from SoCal though so I think my Jeep could handle the warm temps again but nothing against preparing it first! :) Good luck on your move!

The time now is 08:51 PM.