Mint 400 Race thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Mint 400 Race thread

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
sirhk100

Mint 400 Race thread

Rather the burying this in the general chat thread I'll start this one up to keep it all in one area.

Right now on the list of people from this page I've got
  • Puck (Eric)
  • Merrick
  • Ksturgio (Scott)
  • LVLJ05 (John)
  • Photojared
  • Andy
  • Garza (Ricky)

Here's how the week is looking...

THURSDAY THE 13TH...
  • It's not the end of the world if you can't make it but around 6ish that afternoon/evening we're hoping to meet up at my house for some quick pre-race info. I'll PM each of you my address and phone number or just post it here as it gets closer. We're heading out Wed the 12th to mark our pit location so we'll get you details on where exactly our main pit will be and how to find us on Sat morning out there. We can go over fueling the truck, yes, it's a little bit different then just pumping gas at the corner station. The few of you that haven't seen the truck up close can check it out and get familiar with it. I'll point out a couple details to specifically keep an eye on each time we stop. Jason is working on pit binders with race info to hand out and I'm assuming he'll be giving those to you guys there.

FRIDAY THE 14TH...
  • This morning we'll be loading up the truck/trailer and also loading ALL the race/pit gear in my Van. I shouldn't need any help as I'll have my parents around and Jason will be around also to help but if anyone wanted to come by I won't say no...
  • Tech/Contingency. We will be getting down to Freemont "east" (not under the canopy) around Noon with the truck. Anyone that's available is welcome to come hangout. This really is a fun time and if you've never been to one it's worth coming down. It's honestly worth taking the day off from work if you've never been, it's that good... Assuming you're a motorhead in general. You'll see everything from our truck to jeepspeeds to the big boys with unlimited money. You can virtually crawl all over and see the vehicles as up close and personal as you want to get. Tons of vendors, etc... It's not nascar, virtually everything is right there and you can get as close as you want to the vehicles, just don't get run over!!! LOL, I've seen it happen... LOL
  • After tech (guessing 2-4 hours down there probably) we'll be taking the truck down to the main pit. At this point the plan is to actually leave EVERYTHING down there friday night. We'll unload the truck and get it parked and covered up. We'll unhitch the trailer and most likely unload all the pit supplies and get them all laid out on the trailer and cover it all up with a tarp and get it tied down. Basically I'd like to have it so that Sat morning we can just uncover the truck, uncover the trailer, stake down the tarp in the pit (we have to pit on a covered ground) and basically be good to go sat morning with minimal effort. Merrick has agreed to trade me rides for the night. He'll have my Van out there and we're taking his Jeep. If anyone wants to camp out there with him that would probably be pretty cool cause at this point I think he's solo. Confirm with him though on that. The rules state we're only allowed to have one "motorhome" camped in the main pit. My van is a "motorhome" friday night. There is no tent camping allowed.

Sat the 15th (race day)
  • The courss is 94 miles, we do 3 laps for 282 miles total (the race we did last year was 180 miles). Last years Mint was about the same distance and a very similar course and the leaders in our class ran about a 2:11 pace per lap.
  • The race starts at 6am. Last I saw there was over 100 entries in the morning race. We'll likely get off the line I'm guessing closer to 6:30am. Either way, my intention is to roll into the pits around 5am. You guys don't have to be there that early but it would be nice to have you there by about 5:30-5:45AMish. Traffic shouldn't be too bad getting in there but add a little bit of padded time just in case. Also from previous experiences, BLM, Rangers and LEO in general will be out in full force and they are NOT lenient at all!!!! Make sure you do the speed limits!!! We still need to figure out logistics though on Pit vehicle passes. I may actually have Merrick run my Van down to Jean and you guys all park there and all come in together in the Van. We're limited on number of vehicles in the pit but we haven't got that worked out quite yet. We can discuss that at my house that Thursday.
  • Main pit is located where some of you guys do your long distance shooting just a bit north of Jean. The dirt access road off of Las Vegas Blvd will be closed and off limits though. Access will be from down Knight Ranch Road.
  • We will be stopping every lap in the main pit and at the very least doing a Chinese fire drill switching seats. I also intend to dump fuel every lap in main pit also. (2 people to dump, 1 person with extinguisher in hand) We'll be checking lug nuts every stop (1 or 2 people). 1 person to help me and Jason with our fire drill. 2 people looking over the truck. 1 person in front of the truck holding us until everyone is done with their jobs, it's clear to pull out on course from other traffic and MOST IMPORTANTLY EVERYONE is away and clear of the vehicle (as lame as it sounds this is the most important part in my eyes as I don't want anyone accidentally run over in the mayhem). That's assuming nothing is wrong and it's just a standard stop for us.
  • Our "hope" is to only be stopping at the main pit! But...
  • Pit A is easy to get to from main pit being only about 3-4 miles away from each other on the chase route. (again, watch your speed and plan for traffic getting in and out of pits, you've got 100+ other teams doing this too...) For us, it's about 38 miles from main pit to Pit A on race course so you should have no issue beating us there. Right now we're planning on using Ricky and his friend David as our mobile chase setup. David has a crew cab truck. You guys on the fly can decide if others want to run around with them or not. We plan to basically have them jumping back and forth between Main and Pit A all day.
  • Pit B is going to be in the lake bed WAY down by the dry lake bed at stateline. Access this year will actually be hopping on the freeway and coming in from Primm unlike last year for the few of you that were there for that adventure. At this point we're planning on utilizing a pit service to cover our needs out there. If any of you guys REALLY want to be out there you're more then welcome and we'll set you up but at this point we don't think we'll need anyone out there. The pit service guys should be able to handle virtually anything we need.

Anyways, that's the latest and greatest as to what's going on. I realize not everyone has Friday off but it's an open invite. I also realize everyone has lives too so if that thursday evening at my house doesn't work, don't stress over it. We'll get you any detail you missed on Sat morning.

Also, we're planning on bringing out danish/pastry type stuff and snacks. Some coolers with drinks and We'll be doing a BBQ in the main pit after the race. We'll confirm but I don't believe they allow alcohol in the pits. Basically, if you guys want anything specific bring drinks and some stuff to snack on but we're going to try and provide you guys with stuff for the day. Bring CHAIRS!!!! Plan for a full day out in the sun! The big boys start their race at 1pm assuming all is well with us, we're hoping to spend some time spectating them as well.

Again, I'll PM each of you next week with address and contact info but Just wanted to get an update so anyone that's interested can plan accordingly.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
JPrich

A few add ons....
Definitely no alcohol allowed in any of the pits.

I will have a Chase Truck specific binder for the chase truck guys, maps, pit directions, radio freqs, cell phone contacts....everything you might need. Will have one for main pit too.

Will confirm but we plan to have a few other friends who have some race/pit experience and will likely appoint one our "pit captian". Will have him oversee the chaos. Will assign other duties in accordance with interest/ability.

As mentioned we have to work out passes and figure out how that is going to pan out. I won't get those until Friday morning so we''ll have to work out something to get them distributed Friday afternoon.

Come to TECH on Friday if you can! Worth the price of admission.

Still working details but we should have a crew (the people I mentioned as are "pit captian") at Start/Finish when we leave. Rather than all come to Main Pit some of you way want to go straight to one of the spectator areas (we recommend the Gravel Pit) where you can watch us cruise by hopefully sometime between say 6:30 and 7:30 am depending on start time. From there you could cruise over to main and probably avoid some of the early pre race traffic funneling in there.

I'll post up some maps and will have copies with me to pass out on Thursday/Friday if anyone wants them.

Appreciate everyone's help, can't wait to get there and kick some ***!
JPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrich View Post
Come to TECH on Friday if you can! Worth the price of admission.
In other words... FREE!!!!

Good idea on the gravel pit for spectating that first spot right off the bat! We don't really need everyone in the pit at the start and that would probably be a better location. It's $10 per car load to get into the spectator area and pit/chase people are not allowed but you could hold off on applying wrist bands and pit access vehicle stickers till after you spectate... Hmmmm...

Also, Merrick's jeep will have pit access. If you guys wanted to caravan from main to pit A with Ricky/David in his Jeep I'm going to speak for Merrick and say he'll be down to do that too.

BTW, there's a race speed limit in the pits! Lame!!! I know!!!

Unread 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I already know that I can be there Thursday and Saturday. Provided work doesn't screw me over, I will be there Friday as well.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
sirhk100

Nice!

Jason and I are working out job descriptions basically for the pits of what we need covered and that Thursday evening we'll figure out who's best and wants to do what part.

BTW, anyone that's running a race radio, I'm 99.9% sure we're going to be on 151.445 for race day. We'll confirm at my house that thursday evening though.

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in for all of the above, obviously! haha
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I should also be good thurs, fri, Saturday.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
sirhk100

I will post if things change but Thurs evening we're currently shooting for 6ish at my house. I don't think we're planning food or anything and I'm not really expecting it to take long. People are welcome to hang out but for the most part it should be fairly quick like basically. Go over some details, put some names to some responsibilities and figure out how to get everyone into the pits basically.

Friday, I'll post if things change but assume we'll be getting down there around noon. Yall know what the truck looks like. Should be able to just come find us in the crowd for the most part.

Sat, ugh early!!! LOL We'll have more info on that stuff that Thursday night as well as we should know our exact pit location by then.

By the way, thanks again for the help guys!!! It's not even here but I appreciate it and know Jason does as well. We may have one or two others in the pit with some actual race pit experience but for the most part, it's cool to me that it's basically a bunch of non race jeep people stepping up to help us out!

There will be a play day down the road to get everyone seat time! Heck, could combine it with a shoot day even! When will depend how the truck looks and sits next sat afternoon once it's on the trailer! LOL

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
sirhk100

ALL THE INFO ANYONE MAY WANT TO KNOW can be found here...

http://www.bitd.com/item/130-general...formation.html

We'll key everyone in on stuff related directly to us and like Jason said, he's working on notebooks for the whole gig. Unlike last year's race, we'll have a clue and be a bit better organized this time around! We're learning on the fly!

Some key things that may be of interest though to you on that link above...

• Notice there's 86 entries between trophy truck and unlimited buggies. That means the afternoon race should be some pretty gnarly spectating!!!!
  • Schedule of events, everything is there. We're doing the parade on Wed but figured that probably isn't of much interest so we haven't said much. Everything is there though for anyone interested in any other race related events we haven't specified.
  • Directions and diagram of main pit. they're asking all general tire racers to try and setup in pits 110-140 so we'll likely be in there somewhere but will verify once we've marked it wed morning next week.
  • For those coming down to tech on friday, you may want to check out that "tech contingency" link, it's a diagram of what's going on down there.

A LOT of that stuff will be in the books Jason is putting together along with a course map and other details related specifically to us.

Unread 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
JPrich

I'll post copies of all the relevant maps tomorrow when I get back to work. Three I think should do it, Tech, spectator area lay out, and main pit layout. Should get you guys all you need.

I'll say it 50 more times I'm sure but of course I really appreciate you guys offering to come out and spend a day with us. Hopefully it's a fun, eventful couple of days that makes your time worthwhile. Will be some chaos mixed in I'm sure but I expect it to be a pretty cool deal and I wouldn't be able to participate without the help of you guys so I really appreciate it.

Fingers crossed that we wont need anyone to do much more than throw in some gas and kick the tires a few times!
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
It's not nascar, virtually everything is right there and you can get as close as you want to the vehicles, just don't get run over!!! LOL, I've seen it happen...
Couldn't have timed this any better if I tried, here's video from this weekend posted up yesterday of EXACTLY what I've seen happen a few times over the years! Whoops!!!

Unread 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
JPrich

Links to relevant maps as promised...

Friday Tech Inspection @ Fremont St layout

http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/p...nt_Diagram.pdf

**Haven't really seen anything regarding spectator parking so not sure what the best bet for that will be, you might just have to wing it...

General layout of the area in Jean...

http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/p...ew_of_Area.pdf

Spectator area layout...

http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/p...ator_Areas.pdf

Main Pit layout...

http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/p...it_Diagram.pdf

**Will update main pit map on Wednesday after we've gotten out to mark our pits**

Assume everyone is good on the Jean dry lake location but in case....jump on Las Vegas Blvd at the M Hotel and head south. The first paved road you'll hit should be marked with signs to the gravel pit spectator area. Second paved road (Knight Ranch Road) should be also marked. Keep in mind there is a race course crossing you'll need to wait at (via flagman) before crossing and heading towards the enterance to main pit. You'll get off the paved portion of Knight Ranch and take a washboarded dirt road in to main.

BLM will STRICTLY enforce the 25MPH speed limit as Khris mentioned. For those of you coming out Saturday morning, would recommend hitting the spectator area at the gravel pit FIRST. You can hang out there and watch us go by on our first lap (it's roughly Race Mile 5), then load up and head in to main pit at your leisure.

IF we aren't able to get enough vehicle passes we'll make arrangments to run a spectator area shuttle and have someone drive out and meet whomever we need to get in.
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
sirhk100

Need full first/last names of everyone that's planning on coming. I've got all your first names but not lasts. Ricky, in case John doesn't see this, I need his. I know Ricky, Merrick, David's and that's it I think. Oh, I've got Ksturgio's already too. Post here or PM me if you would rather do that.

Unread 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
sirhk100

Shot out PM's and/or Text to everyone listed above as a reminder about this Thursday evening at my house if you can make it, I included some info as a heads up in some of the PM's as well with kind of what we have in mind.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing some of you Thursday evening, Friday and Sat for those that can make all or some of the events.

Khris

Unread 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
sirhk100

Thanks to everyone for coming over last night! Still an open invite to anyone that wants to come down and check out a bunch of race vehicles in person. It's going from 9am to 6pm today on freemont east. We'll get our truck down there around noonish. Anyways... Out to go wire up tail lights now and do a tiny bit of welding then load and get on with it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.