May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas)

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
DiscoBayJoe
Beer is Food!

2008 JK Wrangler 

May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas)

ROAD TRIP!

I'm heading to Las Vegas (From east SF Bay Area) for a Convention that starts Monday June 2nd.

Instead of flying, I thought it would be a great excuse to head out early and do a little bit of trail riding along the way. Looking at historic weather, it should be warm but not too hot (am I crazy?) as long as I stay out of Death Valley.

I've got a stock Rubicon Unlimited. I'd like to do something more aggressive than dirt fire roads but not so agressive that damage or stuck-age (is that a word?) is likley for a stocker.

I could leave the Bay Area Friday night or Saturday Morning. I'm open for camping out somewhere Saturday Night.

I've been dirtbiking near RedRock (Jawbone/Dove Springs), but I really don't know the area so I don't feel comfortable leading/organizing a run.

Anyone out that way up for putting a run together that weekend?

Unread 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
jquise2423

If I'm around I can take you a few places around Vegas.
Jamie
jquise2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Actually, Death Valley shouldn't be too bad in early June. I took a road trip from Vegas to Windsor last month. Headed north out of Vegas, took 95 to 266 to 168 to 395 at Big Pine and spent the night in Lee Vining. Next day 395 north to Tahoe, drove around the lake and picked up 80 to Roseville and spent the night with my ex-in-laws. Few days later headed west to Windsor...very nice ride. No problem finding a place to stay in Lee Vining since the town was "closed" for the winter.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy View Post
Actually, Death Valley shouldn't be too bad in early June. I took a road trip from Vegas to Windsor last month. Headed north out of Vegas, took 95 to 266 to 168 to 395 at Big Pine and spent the night in Lee Vining. Next day 395 north to Tahoe, drove around the lake and picked up 80 to Roseville and spent the night with my ex-in-laws. Few days later headed west to Windsor...very nice ride. No problem finding a place to stay in Lee Vining since the town was "closed" for the winter.
This would be a very scenic fun ride and in June it would be pretty cool for most of the trip. There are lots of places to camp along the way. Just don't wait till you get to Nevada as there will be fewer choices for camping. Death Valley may be a little on the hot side by June if you are used to the Bay Area weather. For us desert dwellers, it wouldn't be that bad.

DVTJ
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Valley_TJ View Post
This would be a very scenic fun ride and in June it would be pretty cool for most of the trip. There are lots of places to camp along the way. Just don't wait till you get to Nevada as there will be fewer choices for camping. Death Valley may be a little on the hot side by June if you are used to the Bay Area weather. For us desert dwellers, it wouldn't be that bad.

DVTJ
fuel is also few and far between once you get off 395 to Vegas

default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I would love to get in on a road trip like this. If anything gets planned, please PM me. I've been wanting to do a desert run since I got my rig.
74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
DiscoBayJoe
Beer is Food!

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've received several PM's with good ideas. Sofar nobody has offered to lead a run, but I've had a few people ask for me to keep them in the loop.

Based on what i've seen, I really want to go through Goler Wash / Mengel Pass. I'm thinking I will do this on Sunday the 1st, leaving from the Ballarat side.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do on Saturday and where to stay/camp Saturday night.
Unread 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did Golar wash and Mengel pass in early March. This is a great run with a little rough stuff at the top of Mengel pass. You may find the Barker Ranch (Charlie Manson Hideout) temporarily fenced off. I hear they are up there looking for bodies. I am not sure of the time frame or how long they will be searching. It may be over by now.
I started in Ridgecrest and went over Mengel pass and out through warm springs canyon and into Death Valley and then on to Vegas (about 3 hours to Vegas after I hit the blacktop). It was a long day. There are places to camp along the way. Some of the old mining cabins are inhabitable for the night. If you specify what route you are using getting to Ballerat, I may be able to help you find a camping spot.

If I weren't working that weekend, I'd meet you there. It would be fun. If my work schedule changes I'll let you know.
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.