JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/may-31-june-1-central-california-nevada-high-desert-mojave-vegas-555323/)

DiscoBayJoe 05-06-2008 10:22 PM

May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas)

ROAD TRIP!

I'm heading to Las Vegas (From east SF Bay Area) for a Convention that starts Monday June 2nd.

Instead of flying, I thought it would be a great excuse to head out early and do a little bit of trail riding along the way. Looking at historic weather, it should be warm but not too hot (am I crazy?) as long as I stay out of Death Valley.

I've got a stock Rubicon Unlimited. I'd like to do something more aggressive than dirt fire roads but not so agressive that damage or stuck-age (is that a word?) is likley for a stocker.

I could leave the Bay Area Friday night or Saturday Morning. I'm open for camping out somewhere Saturday Night.

I've been dirtbiking near RedRock (Jawbone/Dove Springs), but I really don't know the area so I don't feel comfortable leading/organizing a run.

Anyone out that way up for putting a run together that weekend?

jquise2423 05-07-2008 06:31 PM

If I'm around I can take you a few places around Vegas.
Jamie

default_user 05-07-2008 11:50 PM

Actually, Death Valley shouldn't be too bad in early June. I took a road trip from Vegas to Windsor last month. Headed north out of Vegas, took 95 to 266 to 168 to 395 at Big Pine and spent the night in Lee Vining. Next day 395 north to Tahoe, drove around the lake and picked up 80 to Roseville and spent the night with my ex-in-laws. Few days later headed west to Windsor...very nice ride. No problem finding a place to stay in Lee Vining since the town was "closed" for the winter.

Death_Valley_TJ 05-08-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy (Post 5189993)
Actually, Death Valley shouldn't be too bad in early June. I took a road trip from Vegas to Windsor last month. Headed north out of Vegas, took 95 to 266 to 168 to 395 at Big Pine and spent the night in Lee Vining. Next day 395 north to Tahoe, drove around the lake and picked up 80 to Roseville and spent the night with my ex-in-laws. Few days later headed west to Windsor...very nice ride. No problem finding a place to stay in Lee Vining since the town was "closed" for the winter.

This would be a very scenic fun ride and in June it would be pretty cool for most of the trip. There are lots of places to camp along the way. Just don't wait till you get to Nevada as there will be fewer choices for camping. Death Valley may be a little on the hot side by June if you are used to the Bay Area weather. For us desert dwellers, it wouldn't be that bad.

DVTJ

default_user 05-08-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death_Valley_TJ (Post 5193208)
This would be a very scenic fun ride and in June it would be pretty cool for most of the trip. There are lots of places to camp along the way. Just don't wait till you get to Nevada as there will be fewer choices for camping. Death Valley may be a little on the hot side by June if you are used to the Bay Area weather. For us desert dwellers, it wouldn't be that bad.

DVTJ

fuel is also few and far between once you get off 395 to Vegas

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7351/dsc00007mn1.jpg

tizzdizz 05-13-2008 08:19 PM

I would love to get in on a road trip like this. If anything gets planned, please PM me. I've been wanting to do a desert run since I got my rig.

DiscoBayJoe 05-21-2008 09:47 PM

I've received several PM's with good ideas. Sofar nobody has offered to lead a run, but I've had a few people ask for me to keep them in the loop.

Based on what i've seen, I really want to go through Goler Wash / Mengel Pass. I'm thinking I will do this on Sunday the 1st, leaving from the Ballarat side.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do on Saturday and where to stay/camp Saturday night.

Death_Valley_TJ 05-22-2008 03:16 PM

I did Golar wash and Mengel pass in early March. This is a great run with a little rough stuff at the top of Mengel pass. You may find the Barker Ranch (Charlie Manson Hideout) temporarily fenced off. I hear they are up there looking for bodies. I am not sure of the time frame or how long they will be searching. It may be over by now.
I started in Ridgecrest and went over Mengel pass and out through warm springs canyon and into Death Valley and then on to Vegas (about 3 hours to Vegas after I hit the blacktop). It was a long day. There are places to camp along the way. Some of the old mining cabins are inhabitable for the night. If you specify what route you are using getting to Ballerat, I may be able to help you find a camping spot.

If I weren't working that weekend, I'd meet you there. It would be fun. If my work schedule changes I'll let you know.

The time now is 05:29 AM.