Looking for trail suggestions in Vegas Area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Looking for trail suggestions in Vegas Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looking for trail suggestions in Vegas Area

So the family and I will be loading up the family truckster and heading out west for our annual family adventure. Since we'll be spending a week in Henderson, NV (Aug 9th thru 15th) I was hoping to get some wheeling in and break in the new WK a little bit. The only trail system that I've definitively been able to find is the Logandale Trail System up around Valley of Fire State Park but specific info on it or any other trails in that region is rather limited. Mostly looking for stuff that isn't going to destroy a 2011 Grand Cherokee, but pose more of a challenge than a dirt road unless it's leading off to someplace that is unique or scenic.

So if anyone has in any info on trails or where to trail info in that region feel free to post up. Then too, if anyone is in that are and wants to hit any trails let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Unread 07-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
ccwrangler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you could try mormon well rd. its not much more than a dirt road last time i went, but its pretty scenic and there is a nice place to have lunch up at the campground. the road connects hwy 93 and 95
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cool, I'll have to see what info I can dig up on that.

If anyone has any recommendations for a moderate trails I can flog the WK on let's hear them. I'm not looking to flog it as harshly as my old Rubicon, but I would like to see what this thing can do.
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Solfive
2008 JK Wrangler 

You should check out potato ridge/rocky gap. This should passable in your Cherokee if you bypass the rock garden section. I'd run it with you but I'll actually be in Chicago while you're here. If you don't find people to go with you here you can check out vv4w.com, that site seems to be where a lot of Vegas guys post runs.
Solfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfive View Post
You should check out potato ridge/rocky gap. This should passable in your Cherokee if you bypass the rock garden section. I'd run it with you but I'll actually be in Chicago while you're here. If you don't find people to go with you here you can check out vv4w.com, that site seems to be where a lot of Vegas guys post runs.
I'll have to dig up some info on that trail and check out that site as well.

Thanks,

Kevin
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
I'll have to dig up some info on that trail and check out that site as well.

Thanks,

Kevin
You might have trouble on Rocky Gap/Potato Ridge if you want to go all the way through. The bypasses on the west side aren't maintained and many have washed out. But, the east side is more passable and gets you out of the valley. You can find a GPS track in a google earth file here:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...ocky-gap-road/

Mormon Well Road is nice, and gets you into the altitude a bit so you can escape the heat. I've only done it in the winter and in the snow, so I can't rightly tell you what it'll be like next week, but your Grand Cherokee should be fine. Again, here's a link to a google earth file with my GPS track on it:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...mon-well-road/

Another run that was pretty fun, but shouldn't be doable in your jeep is the Macks Canyon Road. (The GPS unit in my JK called it the Max Canyon Road.) There's a couple of more demanding side trails off of that trail, but it's pretty scenic, gets you out of the heat and takes you up to some pretty great campground/picnic areas. I haven't put the GPS track on my site, but if you go to 36.349568 N 115.645439 W and take the dirt road to the north/west side of the paved road, you can't miss it.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
You might have trouble on Rocky Gap/Potato Ridge if you want to go all the way through. The bypasses on the west side aren't maintained and many have washed out. But, the east side is more passable and gets you out of the valley. You can find a GPS track in a google earth file here:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...ocky-gap-road/

Mormon Well Road is nice, and gets you into the altitude a bit so you can escape the heat. I've only done it in the winter and in the snow, so I can't rightly tell you what it'll be like next week, but your Grand Cherokee should be fine. Again, here's a link to a google earth file with my GPS track on it:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...mon-well-road/

Another run that was pretty fun, but shouldn't be doable in your jeep is the Macks Canyon Road. (The GPS unit in my JK called it the Max Canyon Road.) There's a couple of more demanding side trails off of that trail, but it's pretty scenic, gets you out of the heat and takes you up to some pretty great campground/picnic areas. I haven't put the GPS track on my site, but if you go to 36.349568 N 115.645439 W and take the dirt road to the north/west side of the paved road, you can't miss it.
Thanks for the info.

I may steer clear of rocky gap even though I'm not sporting a bone stock WK (32's and sliders). I may not have a problem, but it is the unknown of whether I'll have an issue that is enough to leave me hesitant to risk it.

Now that last one you referenced with the GPS coordinates, were you saying not to check it out or steer clear of the side trails? I only ask as we'll be not far from there doing some horseback riding in the next few days.

I'm in town now (Henderson) so if anyone see's a Red WK with Illinois plates, tinted windows and a cargo basket up top give a wave or a honk.

It looks like the weekend may be clear of set activities so if anyone is up for anything post up or PM me.

Later,

Kevin
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I may steer clear of rocky gap even though I'm not sporting a bone stock WK (32's and sliders). I may not have a problem, but it is the unknown of whether I'll have an issue that is enough to leave me hesitant to risk it.

Now that last one you referenced with the GPS coordinates, were you saying not to check it out or steer clear of the side trails? I only ask as we'll be not far from there doing some horseback riding in the next few days.

I'm in town now (Henderson) so if anyone see's a Red WK with Illinois plates, tinted windows and a cargo basket up top give a wave or a honk.

It looks like the weekend may be clear of set activities so if anyone is up for anything post up or PM me.

Later,

Kevin
Oops. As I re-read it, I realize I put a typo in there. The last trail should be DOABLE with you rig. The side trails are not maintained and have some obstacles (or did about a month ago) that make them difficult. The main road gives some great views of the area and has loads of places to picnic, but I would suggest going all the way to the end.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.