Hi my first post. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Hi my first post.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Interactive
1994 ZJ 

Talking Hi my first post.

Hi everyone.

So with my first post I'd like to say Hi. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to contribute in some meaningfully way but for now I'm going to ask a rather newb question.

But first I have a stock 94' ZJ 4X4 and I believe it has the NP242 transfer case, I'm fairly new to wheeling but I have about 15 years of racing and riding Mt Bikes not sure if it will help but I understand the benefits of picking a good lines verse bad lines and I'm good at reading the trails from a bike. How will this help from the seat of a Jeep again we'll see. I'm not going into this thinking I know anything from anything just because I already play in the desert just wanted to provide a little background.

Okay onto the questions.
What trails can I tackle in a stock ZJ? I don't mind a challenge and soon it'll be a third car for us so I don't mind if it gets beat up.
I was thinking about heading out to Burro Wash in the next few weeks, is this doable in a stock ZJ?

Thanks in advance

Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Welcome man. Last time I did burrow I did it with my then stock zj. I did have 31 BFG a/t's on it not highway tires. I would think you would be fine but may want to go with someone who has done it just in case. Being the desert it's always best to wheel with another vehicle.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Interactive
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking about going in two weeks or so, but midweek probably a Wednesday.
I can't remember for the life on me what tires or size I've got on there, but there not highway tires? I'm drawing a blank
I'll post up when I get on concrete date.
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome!
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. Did Burro wash two weeks ago only two bad spots. Yes no problem stock just pick the right line.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Interactive
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Did Burro wash two weeks ago only two bad spots. Yes no problem stock just pick the right line.

Sent from underneath my Jeep
Thank you very much that's what I was hoping to hear.
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
sirhk100

Wouldn't do it by yourself but I wouldn't hesitate to take a stock jeep thru potato ridge once it's legal again. considering I watched a stock titan go thru it with minimal body damage I'd think a stock zj should cruise thru it with zero damage. Don't do it solo though being new to the hobby. You'll want someone to help pick lines.

Personally... Being new to the scene, head out with some others and have them spot you thru the sections. See where they run you thru the trails and you'll start to pick up on the reasoning and why. General rule of thumb, put the biggest rocks under your tires cause you generally have the most clearance under your rocker panels. Not much mechanically to damage under there. Rocker guards are your friends...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
stock titan go thru it with minimal body damage ...
Still makes me cringe every time I think about it but the wife had fun.

I agree the number one rule is never go by yourself. You just never know what might happen.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
sirhk100

While the damage was painful to watch, it truly was minimal in the grand scheme I would say... I still think the fix involves a plasma and a saw z all right behind the cab... Start at the top of the bed and work your way straight downward.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Greetings. Welcome to our raggedy *** group of guys.

Some of us have jeeps, some of us dont, some of us wheel, some of us just use their 40 year old POS to drive to the grocery store and look pretty.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Greetings. Welcome to our raggedy *** group of guys.

Some of us have jeeps, some of us dont, some of us wheel, some of us just use their 40 year old POS to drive to the grocery store and look pretty.
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Interactive
1994 ZJ 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, it's good to find a board that has active members.
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, it's good to find a board that has active members.
The Vegas section sees action multiple times everyday.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cuz that's how we roll. An' ****.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
Still makes me cringe every time I think about it but the wife had fun.

I agree the number one rule is never go by yourself. You just never know what might happen.
I know the feeling, did you see the scratch on my flare from that trip?

Also welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.